2010 Sentra 2.0 SR engine noise.

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
rtneyhart
Car: 2010 Sentra 2.0 SR

My car has a (relatively) loud ticking noise that occurs most often when the engine is cold (after sitting overnight or all during the day) and the outside temperature is cold, usually less than about 45°F. On an unusually warm day, over 65°F, the noise was barely audible. This morning it was 19°F when I left and was between high 20's to low 30's when I returned home and the noise accompanied me the whole trip. If the temperature is in the 40's and I let the car warm up for an extended period of time, it is somewhat quieter. Is this just "normal" valve train or timing chain tensioner noise? To me, it seems excessively loud even for an inexpensive car. Except for the first two oil changes (and the most recent) where I used non-synthetic 5W30 oil, I have been using Amsoil 5W30 with Wix oil filters. I've also been filling up at the local gas station most of the time, a Shell station, with 87 AKI fuel. Lastly, the car is equipped with a CVT and has just over 19,000 miles on it.

Does anyone else have this loud lifter like sound, or any suggestions as to what it might be, and if anything can be done about it? Otherwise I am fairly happy with the car.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Ticking in an SR seems unusual. I detest the SR, (CA18 guy) but as weak as that valvetrain arrangement is they are not normally noisy. You must confirm it's the top end. With the engine running listen closely to the valve cover. See if you can zero in on the noise. If it's definitely in these pop off the valve cover and confirm the cam followers are not loose.

rtneyhart

OK... I'm not sure what happened, but let me try to post again. My previous reply was deleted when I tried to preview it before posting it. In any case, it is snowing hard here with about 6" so far. I started the car to warm it up so I could move it from the road and the ticking was still present. I let it run while I was shoveling for about 15-20 minutes. When I took it for a drive down the road and back, the noise was gone, as has been the case in the past when I've warmed it up for an extended period. It was about 30°F this morning. After the snow stops and I've had a chance to clear it, I'll have a listen under the hood.

rtneyhart

OK, it's 35°F outside and when I started the car to move it back to it's, now shoveled out, parking spot it was much quieter. I opened the hood and had a listen. To the best I could hear, it sounds as if it is coming from the timing cover end of the engine.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”