2010 ROGUE not starting

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Maxima37X
Car: 2003 Nissan Maxima SE TE
2012 Infiniti M37x

Hey Gang,

Just as the subject says 2010 ROGUE not starting,
When problem occurred, driving on the highway way got loss of power couldn't accelerate and engine stuttering.Battery is good, when trying to start the car it sounds like it might not be getting fuel
Thanks in advance. Link to a short video clip

https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/yqghadKCoedc
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it's fuel starvation, a shot of something combustible like Brakleen or Gumout down the barrel will make it start and then die again. If that doesn't start it then your issue isn't fuel delivery. From the symptoms it sounds like either a bug in the MAF or a cam/crank sensor failure. Try cleaning the MAF first, a piece of lint or butterfly wing in the wrong place is all it takes to completely disable most Nissans.

Maxima37X
2012 Infiniti M37x

Took it to a mechanic, and he stated I need a new engine. Said there is enough compression in the engine. I don't quit believe him, he has dropped the ball in the past.
IMG_2020.jpg

macgiver

IF that ball doesn't come with a GOOD explanation , shove it back down his throat , ie. move on :tisk:

come back w/ his explanations and FULL SPECIFIC reasoning

Maxima37X
2012 Infiniti M37x

IMG_2020.jpg
photo did show in last post

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That's pitiful, book compression is 205, minimum is 176. However, if it's that low on all cylinders then you may have a jumped timing chain and not a blown motor. You need a wet test and a leakdown test to see what's causing the low readings. If the wet test readings don't increase (rings okay) and leakdown is minimal (valves are sealing okay) then the compression is down because the valve train is out of time.

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Yeah, I don't trust the first thing out of a mechanic's mouth most of the time. The owner of the 2011 I bought for my daughter was told it needed a new engine due to low compression on all cylinders. The Rogue was sitting in front of the shop that his wife made it to. I had an engine lined up, bought the car, and had it towed to my mechanic. He called me midday and asked if I wanted to swap an engine or just the AC compressor. The shop that "diagnosed" low compression couldn't have determined that as the engine wouldn't even turn over - the AC compressor was locked up. My shop took the belt off and it started right up and purred like a kitten. The poor guy walked in with the cash and paid them $140 for that diagnosis when I bought it from him.

Shameful.

This doesn't seem to be the case in your car, but I think it pays to get more info. If that really is your compression level, do what VStar suggests. Hopefully that mechanic is capable of that.

RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

Yeah I mean if you owned the car since 2010 you should know if you changed the oil enough to not have catastrophic compression loss. Since you seemed surprised the compression is so low I agree it may be something else? That's amazing you got this many years out of the Rogue though, a 2010? That's awesome if it's the original transmission.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Ok, I don’t know much about compression, but I do know about a sputtering Rogue. Kinda disheartening when it happens because I’m always thinking is this the day my cvt implodes?

So the various times this gave me this type of symptom was when the following occurred:

a) I got lean bank codes. Rogue was sputtering trying to start. Cured it with fuel cleaners/ injector cleaners. Maybe clogged injectors or carbon build-up in the system.

b) Bad spark plug. Got a code thankfully. Rogue sputtering after starting. So change plug and the coil to be sure for optimal fix.

c) hose leak. Sputtering while driving. It jerked really bad that I thought I messed up my suspension. After cleaning the throttle body, I forgot to connect a small hose under. Funny thing is the code didn’t show up until many days of the Rogue sputtering but still drivable. I was upset the rogue was a sputtering mess but happy as hell when I finally got the code that said that there was a leak.

d) bug wing, not on a Rogue but a Cadillac SRV. I was actually surprised when I encountered the infamous bug wing inside the maf sensor. Actually relieved and I just blew it off with my mouth.

Original cvt on my 2009 Rogue here. Drives smooth as butter. Since I ran out of my Nissan NS-2 stash, I’m planning on going gung ho and doing a drain and fill with some red Amsoil cvt fluid in there this time. Green to red fluid, who cares, the price is comparable for me so why not.

I feel spoiled at this point because I only expected this rogue to last over a decade. It probably would have broken down by now if the internet never existed.

First decade were long oci’s of 10k-15k Amsoil oil changes. Recently I’m doing 3975 oci. Whatever oil is on sale at Walmart.

First transmission drain and fill at 87k, so it was late in the game but now I do it around every 20-30k, matters how bored I am. May do it earlier or later in that range.

If you don’t have access to pure gasoline, expect your Rogue to drive like crap with the corn that the govt is subsidizing the farmers to produce for our gas supply.
Hence, I routinely use fuel additives. Do occasional highway driving to keep engine clean by burning deposits.

:woot:

Return to “Rogue Forum”