2010 Quest moving toward utility and away from "soccer mom"

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008...24383

While the rest of the automakers slow down their push on the minivan segment, Nissan is refusing to give up on the them - even though the brand is struggling in the segment. Sales of the Nissan Quest have slipped at rate of 1,800 a month in 2008.

Nissan says that this time it will focus less on soccer moms when building minivans and more on comfort and utility. The upcoming replacement for the Nissan Quest will cater to the campers and those that like outdoor adventures. It will still cater the traditional family-haulers as well.

Sources familiar with the next-generation Quest say that the minivan looks more like a crossover with a hint of an SUV. Nonetheless it still has sliding doors and the convenience of a minivan.

The next-generation Quest will come from Japan as Nissan phases out production of the current model at its Mississippi plant. It will be based on the architecture of the Japanese Elgrand van.

Industry analysts say that the Forum Concept seen at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show was just too weird for consumers. We, on the other hand, thought it was awesome.

2peaches2oranges
Car: 2008 Nissan Quest 3.5 S

I agree that it looks "weird" but I am willing to give it a try when it comes out!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

With minivans loosing popularity to crossovers, I think it's a good move to mix what makes minivans most practical (flat floors, lots of room, tons of seat/cargo arrangement options, and ease of entry) with what makes crossovers appealing. If Nissan can hit that mark, they might be able to find a niché where the minivan and crossover markets overlap.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

MinisterofDOOM wrote:With minivans loosing popularity to crossovers, I think it's a good move to mix what makes minivans most practical (flat floors, lots of room, tons of seat/cargo arrangement options, and ease of entry) with what makes crossovers appealing. If Nissan can hit that mark, they might be able to find a niché where the minivan and crossover markets overlap.
I agree...kinda. There are a ton of platforms available if you like ugly + small + good gas mileage. But there will always be a need for the Van, station wagon etc. People have families...

If Nissan goes small then they will lose a big chunk of the market to the big 3...as per usual.

basskronick
Car: I drive a pontiac, and i love it, but i have nissan in my heart, I'm also the owner of a first gen q

I agree with WD, Nissan needs to keep the interior space, but sleeking it down wouldnt hurt, and dare i say......an all wheel drive option??? Who wouldn't be all over an AWD Quest?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Other brands have tried AWD minivans and while they did sell, they were by no means gamechangers. In fact, the newly redesigned Caravan is the first Caravan not to offer AWD.

It's possible though, as the D-platform that the next Quest will likely be built on already has AWD capability.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

I think that is one sweet looking minivan!

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

Timmbo wrote:I think that is one sweet looking minivan!

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Lol interesting looking van...

...but i agree that you need to make the van more appealing. Vans are so much better in terms of space and such than an SUV or crossover - they just look dumb.

m98cox

Anyone heard any updates? Will the 2010 model be a continuation of the current model?

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

MinisterofDOOM wrote:With minivans loosing popularity to crossovers, I think it's a good move to mix what makes minivans most practical (flat floors, lots of room, tons of seat/cargo arrangement options, and ease of entry) with what makes crossovers appealing. If Nissan can hit that mark, they might be able to find a niché where the minivan and crossover markets overlap.
EXACTLY. People like me, 30 years old with one kid and likely one more to come, want a cool ride with unique styling and options, a reasonable price, good gas mileage, good utility and interior space. Mini-vans are too big, ugly and hard on gas to meet this criteria, so I bought a Nissan Rogue because it came the closest to meeting all these requirements. This new mini-van looks to be almost perfect for people like me, because it is slightly smaller than existing mini- vans which have gotten WAY too bulky and hard on gas (does anyone remember mini-vans in the 80's? they were much smaller but still had great utilitiy and you didn't feel like you were driving a bus, then car company's got stupid and made everythign bigger and bigger). The new Nissan concept seems to be a perfect size, offering more room than my Rogue but a little more compact and fun to drive than current giant minivans. If it keep that sweet styling and offers a good 4-cylinder powertrain with decent power and good fuel efficiency this will be the perfect vehicle in my opinion, and I'll have to reconsider my plan to keep my Rogue for 10+ years. I love the Rogue, but if this van maintains the cool styling, adds sliding doors and more interior space, I guarantee it'll be a winner.

The only thing that I've seen to come close to this is the Mazda 5 minivan, which has been out for several years. The only reason I didn't buy one is because it is too small, the styling isn't great and utility is low ex. the back gate hatch is very small, hard to get a dog in and groceries etc., but if Nissan makes theirs a little bigger this'll be perfect. I'm excited to see a production model in person, hopefully soon?

Rockford
Car: 2007 Quest SL

Traded our X-Trail for a Quest a few months ago. 2 kids and a dog and the X/T was TIGHT. If you have another kid I think you'll def find the same w/ the Rouge as it's smaller than the X/T.We looked at the Mazda 5 when we got the X/T. Too small for us but still a neat idea. I can't speak to any other minivans but the Quest (one of the biggest out there currently) doesn't feel like a bus at all. I'm 37 and so didn't want to be a mini-van guy. I gotta admit though, I really like it. Believe me, all that space is so nice to have. I had packing up the X/T down to a science and it was a pain. Witht van I just throw stuff in and go. The highway ride is better than the X/T hands down. Quieter, smoother, everything. I was really surprised. I just had this notion going in that minivans suck and that's simply not true of the Quest. Granted, it will never be cool to own a minivan but the Quest is the closest thing to it if you ask me. Mileage? Not too bad considereing. Averaging 20MPG doing 65% highway and 35% city. The X/T was not much better surprisingly. The Rouge is supposed to be quite good on fuel though.80's minivans? Like the original Chrysler "Magic Wagon"? Ya, I remember those. Definitely smaller. 4-cyl (even with turbos) were the norm. If you're 30 I'm guessing your parents had something like that when you were a kid. Those days are gone. If you need a van you need seating for at least 7. In order to get that you need to be a certain size and at that size you need at least a 6 cyl. Smaller is Mazda 5 territory and we already talked about that one.

kerrton

That is the issue, I don't accept the fact that I need a heavy van requiring a V6 engine (and I my family of 3/4 definately doesn't need 7 passenger seating). I appreciate you sharing your impressions of your Quest, and I'm glad it works well for your family and I have no doubt that it is very comfortable and even fun to drive, but......

That is why I reported my excitement with the new Nissan concept vehicle, which is roomy but lightweight and reportedly will come with around a 2.0 liter clean diesel when released in Europe. This is innovation, and this is what I need, and what the planet needs. I don't need a vehicle that conforms to the current constraints that in order to move 2 adults, 2 kids and all their stuff you need a 7 passenger van with a V6 with marginal fuel efficiency, that is not progressive thinking. The new small displacement diesel engines or even a small displacement gasoline hybrid powertrain which provides good power and great gas mileage for a medium sized van that can haul my family and all my stuff will be the norm very shortly, it's just too bad that North America doesn't have this progressive thinking which results in access to these powertrain options.

But to echo my original excitement, Nissan is moving towards changing this and when they do they will have my business, or if another company does it first then I'll go with them. Until then I'll be enjoying my Rogue for al ong period of time, because it is a very roomy vehicle that routinely gives me 30 US mpg highway and 25-26 US mpg city, and with the addition of a roof top cargo box can haul everything we need. I will never compromise on fuel efficiency, and car manufaturers know that my attitude is becoming representative of a very large portion of the population. Soon, possibly as soon as this year, the options to satisfy this need will be expanding and I'm excited about that.

freeflower3
Car: 2000 Nissan Quest

I love the styling of my 2000 Quest. It is simple on the outside and very roomy inside without being big, bulky, and bubble-y on the outside. The dash has everything in a good spot.

I hate the newer Quests where the a/c vents are on the top of the dash and the outside looks smashed in the front and beetle-buggish in the back.

I wish they new one would be simple and no future-istic looking. I will just keep my 2000!

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

I like it

kerrton

lino, your Nissan store doesn't have any Rogue parts, any plans to get them? I'm sure your prices are cheap but if you don't stock what I need it ain't gunna work!

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

Actually, the store is not mine. The people that run it have been incredibly helpful and kind to so many Nico members and to me personally too, that's why I support them whole-heartedly. To answer your question, they are adding parts to their inventory on a daily basis and listing them as fast as they can. The parts the have so far appear to be from 2008 and below. That's what I've seen over the last 14 months. If I see anything Rouge I'll be sure to let you know. Otherwise, take a peek for yourself from time-to-time. No harm in looking.

SoCaliMommy
Car: 07 Nissan Quest

It looks different but I think they are going to loose alot of people buying it, at least give the option of having a bench in the 2nd row* like most of the other minivans do*. I also think the middle seat in the 3rd row is almost useless. I drive a 07 Quest and its pretty tight to get a person let alone a carseat in the middle back where it has the latch points at.

Return to “Quest Forum”