2010 Nissan Xterra Crank no Start in Cold Weather

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
tsbranch4
Car: 2010 Nissan Xterra

I have a 2010 Nissan Xterra that will crank but not start in cold weather. If i put jumper cables on it it starts no issues and it will start the rest of the day unless it sits for an extended period of time. i disconnected the battery overnight to see if there was a drain but still no start and had to jump start it. i think it might be a sensor in the ignition system not making good contact in the cold but jumping it gives it enough voltage or heat to work. Any ideas on what sensors i should look at in the startup process for the Xterra's or should i look else where?

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

How old is the battery? Kinda sounds like the battery just doesn't have enough oomph left in it. Probably time for a new battery,

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Check owners manual for recommend oil weight for the temperature in your area. You might consider using synthetic oil if you currently are not using it. Could also check if some type of block heater application can be used? If You decide to replace the battery make sure you don't exceed the manufactures maximum cranking amp rating. Over a period of time this can shorten the life of the starter.

dj_a
Car: 2007 Nissan Xterra
2005 Nissan Xterra

*SOLVED* I had the 'crank - no start' problem with my 2007 Xterra. It only happened when it was well below zero, so it was difficult to recreate the problem for troubleshooting. Nissan dealership was no help at all. I tried replacing the battery with a high CCA, but that didn't resolve the problem. I stumbled on a way to replicate the problem in warmer temps using a high capacity jump starter. I used a NOCO Boost Pro GB150 3000 Amp 12-Volt Portable Lithium Jump Starter Box, but it's possible a smaller unit will work. I disconnected the battery and used the jump starter box in it's place. When I tried starting, I got the 'crank - no start'. I also have a 2005 XTerra, which starts when I do the same setup. I ended up replacing the ECU. I haven't had the problem since, and I've been in sub-zero temps several times. *SOLVED*

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

dj_a wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:59 am
*SOLVED* I had the 'crank - no start' problem with my 2007 Xterra. It only happened when it was well below zero, so it was difficult to recreate the problem for troubleshooting. Nissan dealership was no help at all. I tried replacing the battery with a high CCA, but that didn't resolve the problem. I stumbled on a way to replicate the problem in warmer temps using a high capacity jump starter. I used a NOCO Boost Pro GB150 3000 Amp 12-Volt Portable Lithium Jump Starter Box, but it's possible a smaller unit will work. I disconnected the battery and used the jump starter box in it's place. When I tried starting, I got the 'crank - no start'. I also have a 2005 XTerra, which starts when I do the same setup. I ended up replacing the ECU. I haven't had the problem since, and I've been in sub-zero temps several times. *SOLVED*
Good job!
Thanks for posting up the solution and Welcome to Nico! :yesnod

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PalmerWMD wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:02 pm
Good job!
Thanks for posting up the solution and Welcome to Nico! :yesnod
Ditto, good job! I've seen a few instances like that over the years. One that I took the time to tear apart proved to have a broken solder joint between the master IC and one cam sensor, which lifted the IC pin off the circuit board whenever the temp got below 20F. To locate it, I ended up sticking it in a freezer overnight after disassembly. Very rare but very frustrating. :dblthumb:

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”