2010 Nissan Versa Auto transmission filter issues

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
btminpa
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa

I'm changing the fluid in my 2010 Versa 1.8 S. It has an automatic (not a CVT).
The car has nearly 190,000 miles on it, so I decided the drop the pan and check the filter.
When removing the bolts around the filter, everything came out fine, except one bolt, that is only partially threaded at the top. All of the other bolts were various length, but fully threaded.
The partially threaded bolt came loose, but I had trouble getting it completely out. After finally getting it out, I cleaned the filter and reinstalled it. All of the bolts went in fine, except for the partially threaded bolt. It will not tighten. It seems like there are no threads. I'm assuming during assembly at the plant, it may have been overtightened and pulled the threads. I've never removed the filter from this car before, so it definitely wasn't from me.
So, my question is, can I leave this bolt out? Will it affect anything?
From what I can tell, it only helps hold the filter in place, and theres already several other bolts doing that, but I wanted to get feedback from someone that may have more experience on these transmissions.

Thanks
btminpa

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

My hunch is the bolt you refer to is necessary. I doubt Nissan would've made a hole for it if it wasn't. My Versa is a 2019 so I'm not 100% sure for your 2010 but I think you should get a replacement. I wouldn't chance not replacing it because not doing so could cause trouble like dirt getting into your transmission, etc. I would think the Parts Department at your local Nissan dealership would have the correct bolt in stock. I can't imagine that the bolt would be very expensive. The 190,000 miles on your Versa gives me hope for my Versa.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”