2010 Murano Transmission cooler/Brake Controller help

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
nandytemp
Car: 2010 Murano

I will be towing a trailer under 3000 lbs that will require a brake controller. I have already installed a class 3 hitch and trailer 4 wire connector for the small trailer (I will have to upgrade to the 7 pin connector) I was hauling once or twice a year. Also, I know much vehicles will need a transmission cooler. I have done all this job on my 1999 blazer but the princess dont like driving on that old car so she wants us to take the "newer, cooler" vehicle.
So looking for someone with experience doing this or knows of a "How to" that I can be referred to. On the blazer all the necessary wiring is already in place, you just have to connect the 7 pin connector, connect the charging cable to a post and your brake controller brake cable to the cable that goes 12+ when you step on the brake. Seems the murano might require me to run all the cables to the back (battery charge and brake) from the front. Just trying to make sure I dont do extra work.
Also, the transmission cooler, I know how to install one. Seems the radiator has 2 connections for the transmission oil in the passenger side but which is "in" and which is "out"?
Anything special for the aftermarket cooler?

Thanks, I have not been able to find anything of use on this by googling.

nandytemp

I found a video for the brake controller. It is on a 2009 but being the same generation I am sure there is not much difference. It seems the murano does not have the cabling needed so it has to be installed.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-teko ... 39510.aspx

Now, lets move on to the transmission cooler. I have found a few references.

Some say it is not needed and if installed will void the warranty of the CVT transmission which I am not really worried about anyway as I can put it all back in a heart bit and they will never know....

Some say it is needed....

I did call a nissan dealer and over the phone they did told me it was needed and transfer me to sales to get a quote but got disconnected.... As far as I am concerned, it is needed, so I am still looking for those that has done this so I can get a little of background.

Thanks!

nandytemp

I cant believe there is not much info about this here or anywhere else. There is a shop in a neighbor town that does the installation for under $300 so is either that or me doing it.

ValiantCM
Car: 2010 Nissan Murano TI 3.5L AWD

Bad luck you haven't had any reply here.
Looking at doing the same to my 2010 Ti, re the cooler, especially since the jatco cvt is such an unreliable piece of junk.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

ValiantCM wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 am
Bad luck you haven't had any reply here.
Looking at doing the same to my 2010 Ti, re the cooler, especially since the jatco cvt is such an unreliable piece of junk.
The 6-cyl CVT's are actually pretty durable, but a cooler is definitely advisable for any towing. More importantly, the fluid must be changed regularly. CVT's have a metal belt riding on metal pulleys with no sacrificial clutch material like a regular A/T. That means they're totally dependent on the quality of the fluid. Towing, especially on rough roads, exerts shear forces on the fluid that don't occur under any other conditions, so towing on a regular basis can beat up the fluid very quickly.

Gerald H
Car: Current: 2012 Nissan Maxima SL, 2015 Nissan Murano SL AWD
Past: 1980 240SX, 1988 Hardbody, 1990 Stanza, 1992 Maxima SE, 1996 pickup,
1998 Altima, 2008 Rogue

Greetings. I am new to NICO Club, but am also researching a CVT cooler for my 2015 MO AWD. I just had the original CVT fail at 59,000 miles (covered by extended warranty!). I have found several videos for Subaru CVT coolers. They use a similar oil-to-water heat exchanger. Its main purpose is to rapidly HEAT the CVT fluid to the preferred operating temperature of 80C (about 178F). Most recommend using a thermostatic valve that only passes the CVT fluid to the external cooler once it is up to temperature.

I saw a discussion on the Altima board of NICO Club that has a link to purchase sites for the thermostatic valve. I hope this helps. I would not tow with a CVT without the cooler and thermostatic valve.

I do have a question: does any one have a model number for a OBD2 data reader that will provide real-time transmission temperature data? I tried the BlueDriver OBD reader, but is does NOT provide any transmission data for Nissan.

Return to “Murano Forum”