200sx Motor swap

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
Porsche944Turbo

I have a not so mechanically inclined friend who owns a 96 200sx with the 1.6 liter engine, and Auto tranny. We think his engine is pretty close to going, its at 165k right now. He really likes the car and wants to keep it, so we are looking into doing a motor swap. Needless to say, he wants a little more power than the 1.6 can put out. I understand that the SR20DET is a pretty good engine. I think it might be out of his price range though. I think a good compromise would be the sentra SE-R Spec V engine. Has anyone done a swap like this? Is it pretty Straightforward or is there alot of fabrication involved?

Thanks in Advance.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Porsche944Turbo wrote:I have a not so mechanically inclined friend who owns a 96 200sx with the 1.6 liter engine, and Auto tranny. We think his engine is pretty close to going, its at 165k right now. He really likes the car and wants to keep it, so we are looking into doing a motor swap. Needless to say, he wants a little more power than the 1.6 can put out. I understand that the SR20DET is a pretty good engine. I think it might be out of his price range though. I think a good compromise would be the sentra SE-R Spec V engine. Has anyone done a swap like this? Is it pretty Straightforward or is there alot of fabrication involved?

Thanks in Advance.

The fabrication involved to put a Spec V engine (QR25DE) into a B14 chassis (95-99 200SX and Sentra) would cost more than an SR20DET. Definately not worth it.

The SR20DET is a fairly cheap swap if you keep parts stock. Perhaps a better compromise if the SR20DET is too expensive, is to get an SR20DE. It's the same thing but not turbocharged. However, still more powerful than the GA16DE (his current 1.6L engine).

The SR20DE was an optional upgraded motor for the 91-01 Sentra, 200SX, and NX. Try to find an SR20DE from a junkyard. The best fit is going to be a 95-97 200SX engine. The other years will work, but the computer on the 95-97 will best be suited for his car, since it is a 96.

He will also need a new transmission. Look for one from the SR engine when you get the engine. The GA transmission will not bolt up to the SR motor. If he wants to keep an automatic, the SR engine has both a 5spd and 4spd automatic as possible transmissions you might find with it.

Also, if he does decide to go the SR20DET route, then he will need an SR transmission from a U.S. car. The SR20DET was only available in AWD and RWD. It fits in a 200SX only when mated with the FWD transmission from a U.S. SR20DE. Just something to keep in mind. In any case, his current transmission will not fit anything except a replacement engine.

Let us know if you have any more questions or if something is not clear!

OneFastStanza
Car: '02 SE-R Spec V, '92 Stanza, '97 Maxima, '04 Vue Redline. '04 F250

I agree with Torry.

Porsche944Turbo

Thanks alot guys! I think my freind has decided to go with the SR20DET after all. I will certainly keep you guys posted as to how things are going. Thanks again for the help.

Porsche944Turbo

OK, this is what we have found:

SR20DET on Ebay

This is from a s13 silvia. It has 45k miles. The only problem is it is a RWD tranny, since I can get my hands on a FWD SR20DE tranny, would it be as straightforward as swapping them? Or is the whole engine different in a RWD car, Motor mounts, ect.Thanks in advance guys.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Porsche944Turbo wrote:OK, this is what we have found:

SR20DET on Ebay

This is from a s13 silvia. It has 45k miles. The only problem is it is a RWD tranny, since I can get my hands on a FWD SR20DE tranny, would it be as straightforward as swapping them? Or is the whole engine different in a RWD car, Motor mounts, ect.Thanks in advance guys.

It's totally different. The intake manifold, exhaust manifold, valve cover, head, tranny, and ECU are all different. You *need* to find an AWD/FWD one. There are two versions. A "BB" or Bluebird one is the first type. The second is a GTi-R one. The GTi-R is better because of individual throttle bodies, but is also more expensive and harder to find. But anyway, make sure that the one you buy is either a BB or GTi-R SR20DET.

On ebay, here is one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=6770 but needs a FWD tranny too ($500 from a junkyard).

Also, as long as you are not in a hurry, you can contact Daunttless at http://www.afterdark-tuning.com. We will be importing JDM engines but are currently delayed.

98SE-RwTricks
Car: Automotive Performance, Computers, Hip Hop, Technology

EZcheese15 wrote:...The second is a GTi-R one. The GTi-R is better because of individual throttle bodies, but is also more expensive and harder to find. But anyway, make sure that the one you buy is either a BB or GTi-R SR20DET.
Don't go with the GTi-R motor if you don't want to wait on parts from Japan though... The SR20DET from the Bluebird is better because we can get the parts more easily...

Oh, hi NICO forum!

Sam98 SE-RATL, GA

pampadori

we have done many ga to sr swaps. they are a little more involved then the ser to det.engines are $1700 for bb and $2000 for gtir.they are hella fun to drive though. tell your friend to call me if he has any questions. 540-537-1545shaun

pampadori

don't forget the aviener sr20det with ball bearing t25 rated at 220ps.shaun
EZcheese15 wrote:It's totally different. The intake manifold, exhaust manifold, valve cover, head, tranny, and ECU are all different. You *need* to find an AWD/FWD one. There are two versions. A "BB" or Bluebird one is the first type. The second is a GTi-R one. The GTi-R is better because of individual throttle bodies, but is also more expensive and harder to find. But anyway, make sure that the one you buy is either a BB or GTi-R SR20DET.

On ebay, here is one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=6770 but needs a FWD tranny too ($500 from a junkyard).

Also, as long as you are not in a hurry, you can contact Daunttless at http://www.afterdark-tuning.com. We will be importing JDM engines but are currently delayed.

BenSR2095Se-R
Car: Drag, chillen wit my wifey, workin on cars with friends

jgy is a good place to get det's! im gettin mine from jgy when i get the $$$. http://www.sr20deforum.com is a good place to search for info too.

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

Buy an sr20de out of a b14 se-r sentra and fabricate a custom turbo kits. Also, sr20de's are great N/A motors with their 7500 rpm redline. If he simply wants more power than the GA16de puts out, look into the se-r sr20de, probbaly can be purchased with transmission for less than 1k.

Altiman94

BenSR2095Se-R Your car looks great. Nice taste on all of your mods, and I love the rims. What are your mods, and do you have any 1/4 mile timeslips?

BenSR2095Se-R

thanks for the compliment. best time was 15.6 @ 90mph w/ a slipping clutch and cai and exhaust. my set up now is ps header, pr cai, courtesy catback exhaust, jwt ecu w/50 shot program. act xtreme pp/ 2000 sentra se disc, lightened flywheel(coming soon). hopefully with that set-up i'll be hitting low 15's high 14's. be getting drag radials also and a 50 shot and hopefully ill be in the mid to low 14's.

Ben

Altiman94

with the 50 shot you'll definitely be in the mid 14's. I like the N/A sr20 motor. I actually drove an NX2000 today and it pulled really hard in 3rd gear. I'm trying to get my finances together to purchase a new car. Oringally I was gonna go wtih a 240sx, but after driving the NX, I'd liek to find something wtih the sr20de in it. B14 sentra se-r, 200sx se-r, or an NX2000. I like the NX cuz it has T-Tops, very cool.

Altiman94

the 7500 rpm redline is frikken awesome!!

BenSR2095Se-R

im glad u like the fwd sr20's. equipped w/ lsd stock. great choice on the nx2000. those cars handle awesome. check out http://www.sr20deforum.com and get hooked more. it's all fwd sr20 cars. im crazy4myb14 there. see ya.

Ben

Altiman94

I didn't know the came wth LSD stock. I am definitely looking to auto-x it.

BenSR2095Se-R

oh ya i also got 91 cams on mine too.

auto x is what it's best for.:D drop in a ve and call it a day

Ben

Altiman94

Yeah, I just started looking into the NX's recently and also just got into Auto-Xing recently as well. The first gen altima will be getting NX Wet Kit here soon, maybe.

HotStufF
Car: racing

Hi there, I donno whether are you interested with the SR20DET clipsfor only USD$1,300 for the redtop and USD$2,500 for the blacktop. This will include everything needed to swap into a 200SX. Will also included intercooler, intercooler piping, crossmember, tranny, radiator, uncut wire harness and ecu. The waraanty will be the start up engine, compression test and turbo oil leak.

NISMOingen
Car: This isn't a hobby. It's an obsession.

Porsche944Turbo, The QR25DE transaxle ends up being wider than the distance between wheel hubs in the B14 by about 1/2" so you would have to fab new control arms and alter the crossmember, etc. It's a real big deal.

However, don't discount that GA16. Everyone in the Nissan community turned a cold shoulder to my B13 GA16 then all of the sudden everyone wanted to know how I put it into the 13s and still passed emissions.

The GA can be made to make serious power. Just loose the crank and main bearings, rods, pistons, and Wrist pins. Wiseco and Eagle now both make replacements that will handle more power than you can use. Go turbo (a T3 Super-60 is what I used), then I only have 2 more words for you...HEAD WORK.

Mr_japanman
Car: 97 Nissan 200sx se
Has an sr20de with a 5 speed

:wtf2: I have a 97 Nissan 200sx se with an sr20de and a 5 speed transmission. I wanna do an sr20det swap. Will my trans bolt up to an sr20det of the same year or do I have to do some crazy rwd or awd swap??

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”