200SX Computer Problems

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Junkybeater
Car: 1998 Nissan 200SX

Hey all, I am new to the world of nissans and was having some trouble with my most recent purchase so I figured this would be the best place to seek some help/guidance.
I got a 1998 200sx from a friend of mine that was running, went to pick it up and the car wouldn't start. Turns out the fuel pump isn't working no big deal I've heard it run I can deal with that later. After much grief I discover there is no ground to at least the fuel pump relay, I ground it manually and it works. Lots of other stuff thats easy to test seems to be working, power to cluster, blower motor, windows etc. Figure may be something in computer since from what I could deduce it controls the grounds to engine controls, pulled computer out and found a bad resistor, replaced resistor. Still wont start, no fuel pump and obdii scanner wont recognize computer. Was also blowing the 7.5 amp engine cont fuse in the engine compartment, I have no idea at all what all that fuse controls. I started shopping for a new computer online and everything I find says the computers must be reprogrammed, is this really true? Since I replaced the part in mine does it have to be reporgrammed and if I buy a new one will it have to be also? Everything I've ever dealt with before I could just buy a new one that is compatablie, plug it in and be good to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Junkybeater
Car: 1998 Nissan 200SX

If I get a new to me computer thats the same model number will it have to be programmed or is it plug and play? All my fuses seem to be good so its the only thing I can think of.
Thanks

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I'm with you, I thought those would be plug and chug.
How quickly does that fuse blow? I wonder if you remove the ECU entirely and hook up power, if the fuse still blows (signifying you have some sort of short in your ECU).

Also what country are you in? Depending on where you are, the 200sx can be entirely different platforms.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”