2009 whine in engine area

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
rajung

Hi folks
Just started noticing a whine in the engine area usually when the outside temperature is cold, such around 40 deg and lower.Cant really hear it around 50 - 60 deg.hasent been warmer than that to see if it makes a difference.
Doesn't change with engine speed, but the colder the louder and doesn't change pitch when I turn on all accessories.
This is a 2009 with 37K miles.
Initially thought about the alternator but the sound didn't change with any loads applied.
Now thinking the power steering pump.Never thought about it until now to turn wheels while the noise is doing its thing.
anyone else have this noise?
Thanks for any replies.

Raceinxs

Red or white? Resling kinda guy.

We noticed it too. You can try getting a short belt and try bypassing some accessories to try to figure out what pulley it is. We went to dealer... Go figure, sound went away when we got there. Hasn't come back. Mystery. Didn't sound like a power steering pump, or water pump. It might not have been a/c, we turned that on and off. Might be alternator. Kinda had a sound that made me think it was that. But it went away. So dunno.

'09 MO LE

wireman98
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE

When your motor mounts are dying they will whine like a bad power steering pump. Some of the motor mounts are electric and will stiffen or soften to dampen vibration during different RPMS. Mine just started doing this.

Return to “Murano Forum”