2009 Rogue steering wheel cover

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rockhoundrob
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

In the previous topic, I ran into a problem trying to remove the airbag/horn from the steering wheel.
The T30 torx was stripped and I cannot remove the 2 torx screws.

I see on a video that you can remove the airbag.
Then remove the steering wheel and the dust cover comes off with the steering wheel ( in the rear part of the wheel )
So I am wondering if when the steering wheel is removed, can "the dust cover" be removed from the steering wheel and replaced with one form the junkyard?

My main question is... can I tear up the dust cover of the steering wheel so I can access those 2 torx screws and try maybe using vice grips to remove those screws?
Then replace the dust cover without a problem? Or is the dust cover molded with the steering wheel?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yes, that cover should come off. I can't recall ever removing one on a gen1 Rogue, but on all the models where I have removed one, they're held in by pawls inserted from the rear. You can't get at the pawls without removing the airbag and taking the wheel off, but they all just snap back in place when you're done. So if you need to cut the old one, it's likely you can replace it without issues.

Rockhoundrob
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

OK, so I have nothing to lose by trying this?

Do you think if i open up the dust cover to make room for big vice grips, I might be able to use vice grips and break the torx screw lose?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sure, or maybe cut slots in them so you can chisel them loose. It will certainly be easier to get at them with the cover removed.

Return to “Rogue Forum”