2009 Nissan Murano - AUX A/V

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
blizaine
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano

Hey everyone,Just picked up my new 2009 Murano SL w/ Premium, and Tech packages! I love it! Question: I noticed that the AUX input is on the back of the center console/arm-rest. What is the video connection for? When I feed audio and video into it, it plays the audio and says (on the main dash screen) that the video will resume once the car is no longer moving. However, the car is in park.

Thanks,Blaine

KJSmitty
Car: 2009 LE

The rear AV ports will take audio and video, yet to see the video while parked you must have the "parking brake" on/set.Basically the audio video unit gets inputs from a "speed sensor" and the "parking brake" - thus it knows if the car is moving and/or if the brake is set.

Their is a way to defeat this minor safety feature for your passengers pleasure. If interested, read a few other posts on the forum.

Welcome!

shaqatk
Car: Crimson Black 2012 Nissan Maxima SV.

Can u post a link of where i can find how 2 go around that "safety" feature please?

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

shaqatk wrote:Can u post a link of where i can find how 2 go around that "safety" feature please?
Welcome to NICOclub! I am the moderator here in Murano Forum, glad to have you here. Here is a link to the thread that talks about and shows you how to do the mod so you can watch anything connected to the AUX inputs while the vehicle is driving. You will also be able to watch any iPod video while the vehicle is in motion. Another nice feature is you can input destinations in your Nav. while the vehicle is in motion as well.

zer...no-le

shaqatk

Thanks alot man i appreciate ur help

blizaine
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano

Thanks for info Timmbo and KJ. My '09 Mo has the 7" screen but no NAV. I'm guessing I can do this mod without installing the relay switch, correct? Do I just cut the 80 and 82 wires (E-Brake and Speed Sense) on the back of the head unit? Do they need to be grounded and/or connected to anything?

Thanks again,Blaine
Modified by blizaine at 2:18 PM 3/30/2009

Timmbo

blizaine wrote:Thanks for info Timmbo and KJ. My '09 Mo has the 7" screen but no NAV. I'm guessing I can do this mod without installing the relay switch, correct? Do I just cut the 80 and 82 wires (E-Brake and Speed Sense) on the back of the head unit? Do they need to be grounded and/or connected to anything?

Thanks again,Blaine

Modified by blizaine at 2:18 PM 3/30/2009
Yes, the wires do need to be grounded at the least. There is a thread in the EX Forum about doing this mod on models without Navigation.

shaqatk

Hey Timmbo im leasing my murano so i was wondering is there anything that can be done about this with out voiding the warranty?

teammcw
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano SL AWD

shaqatk wrote:is there anything that can be done about this with out voiding the warranty?
You can extract the two wires OUT of the harness (there's usually locking tabs holding the wire in the harness). Being careful, you can disengage the tabs and pull the wire out.

Once out, you can do the mod without having had to cut the wire (allowing you to restore it to factory if needed).

shaqatk

yea but my concern is that what if something happens with my radio for example and i would need 2 go back 2 the dealer 2 get it fixed... and lets say i forget about it... am i screwed completely?

KJSmitty

teammcw wrote:
You can extract the two wires OUT of the harness (there's usually locking tabs holding the wire in the harness). Being careful, you can disengage the tabs and pull the wire out.

Once out, you can do the mod without having had to cut the wire (allowing you to restore it to factory if needed).
This is true and I too thought about trying that approach. Yet,,, once you get those wires/small terminals out of the connector, you would need something near identical to stick back in the connector to make contact with the head unit pins etc.. You also need to remember, it's the head unit side you need to ground/switch etc., not the harness side. (Once you get your hands on the connector you realize it would be very difficult etc.) -Its to bad no-one has created an aftermarket plug-n-play harness. It would be worth the most likely $100 price tag that most run.

The only way you can approach this is: mitigate the risk by performing the job well, and if and/or when something goes wrong - if you caused it take responsibility and get out the checkbook. If it had nothing to do with your mod then work (OK fight), with the dealership to fix it under warranty.

From all of Timmbo's other threads/referenced chats (and other forums-info) on this topic with other folks that have performed the mod on different Nissan vehicles, I didn't see any that ended up with a component failure. That and studying the tech manual and functions of both speed sensor and brake leads I found the mod to be near risk-less. All of this and the pure fact I wanted our Mo and audio/video to function the way I wanted it to function resulted in me cutting some wires.

Now, I/we just enjoy it when desired and hope/pray I don't have to argue with the Dealer about a "related" warranty issue for the next 27K miles...

You folks with a lease do have a slightly different issue/considerations - not the risk side (that's the same :-( ), just the fact it's not "really" your car and you would/should have to reverse the mod prior to turn in.

Cheers

Timmbo

Best thing I can tell you ladies and gentleman is that I have had the mod on my Armada since last fall. I have had a few service issues (not related to the stereo or anything like that) and I have never had a problem with any warranty issues. I completed a similar mod on my previous vehicle ('04 QX56) had never had an issue with warranty on that vehicle as well. So, speaking from experience, I don't think it is much of a concern at all, just make sure if you perform the mode, do it clean, and be sure to do it correctly.

shaqatk

no thats not what i ment though... i meant if theres some problem with for example the stereo itself and since they have 2 open the whole thing up 2 "fix" it,and they find out about it will it screw my check book up its a... or they just gonna cry and b**** about how im not suppose 2 do s*** like that and bla bla bla but still not mess up my warranty?

Timmbo

shaqatk wrote:no thats not what i ment though... i meant if theres some problem with for example the stereo itself and since they have 2 open the whole thing up 2 "fix" it,and they find out about it will it screw my check book up its a... or they just gonna cry and b**** about how im not suppose 2 do s*** like that and bla bla bla but still not mess up my warranty?
All I can tell you is there are no promises. Anything is possible at that point, depends on the dealer.

KJSmitty

shaqatk wrote:no thats not what i ment though... i meant if theres some problem with for example the stereo itself and since they have 2 open the whole thing up 2 "fix" it,and they find out about it will it screw my check book up its a... or they just gonna cry and b**** about how im not suppose 2 do s*** like that and bla bla bla but still not mess up my warranty?
Look up the "Magnuson Moss Act" It's a warranty/consumer protection ruling where the manufacturer must prove that your mod etc caused the failure. If they can not, they must honor the warranty etc..

Cheers

shaqatk

o wow thats a good point KJ... i never knew about this act...

Return to “Murano Forum”