2009 Murano brake issues - abs assembly

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
bclarkok
Car: Nissan Murano

Hey there, i'll start off saying that i'm not super knowledgeable about cars, so I could have a few things wrong. So just a heads up. Thanks. :)

My 2009 Nissan Murano recently had an all of a sudden issue with the brakes after my wife hit a pot hole. We've taken the car to three different mechanics and have all leaned towards the abs module/assembly being the issue. Two can't properly work on it because they don't have the right tools, and the third is pricing the repair at $2,843. This is a crazy expensive repair cost to all of a sudden have, so I looked for salvage/used parts for the repair to get the price down, but according to the mechanic, a used abs module/assembly is unpredictable and might not be "compatible" with my Murano. Why would a used part not be a suitable fix for the repair? Also, I know a dealership would be the quickest and easiest way to go, but I was trying to avoid a kings ransom worth of money needed for a repair, although it's appearing that it'll be expensive no matter which way I go.

Lastly, the guy was talking at a million miles an hour over the phone trying to explain everything, so it was a little hard to keep up, so I could have a few things wrong, but I believe I have the main points. I'll be heading down to talk to him in person tomorrow.

Thank you for any advice and help that you can give. :)

pfennell
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano

Just had the same problem with my ABS system in my 2009 Murano. After coming to a hard stop and using the ABS system, my brakes were spongy and went all the way to the floor. After reading these threads and the ongoing investigation with the NHTSA, I decided I had no choice but to take it to the Nissan dealer. It was indeed the ABS Actuator and cost me $2,500 to repair. The part alone was $1,900!!! :tisk:
I filed a report with the NHTSA and will just hope that they do something before people get seriously injured. I also learned that the dealerships are not even allowed to look at the ABS system to see if it is broke. Furthermore, I am not even sure that this new actuator fixes the problem. I may still be in danger and not even know it. File a report if you haven't already. I had just paid $900 in March for a defective lift gate actuator. Not happy!!! :facepalm:

Return to “Murano Forum”