2009 M35X low speed tire vibration

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
bluedevil30
Car: 2009 M35X
175,000 miles

2009 M35X low speed tire vibration

Postby bluedevil30 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:37 pm

Driving around normal tonight then turned around in a driveway.

Car now experiences low speed (25 mph) tire vibrations from the front left tire. This vibration goes away when I hit the brake.

Tires are brand new less than 1000 miles.

Any thoughts on issue?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x.

Re: 2009 M35X low speed tire vibration

Postby Ilya » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Maybe you lost some wheel weights? But can't imagine why that'd stop with breaking...

EdBwoy

Postby EdBwoy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:49 pm

It could be anything else that coincidentally happened on that corner, but assuming it's the tire, let's discuss this:

What brand are the tires?
And what's the real age of that tire (going by the date code on the sidewall, not using your distance travelled)?

More common on cheap tires but not unheard of in "bigger" brands, is the phenomenon of slipped or broken belts. Something that could be accelerated as the tire scrubs turning on a driveway.
That's usually a vibration or sound that is constant, because your tire is in effect out of round. Does yours stay on at speeds higher than 25mph?

Unless you don't have a warranty and are interested in inspecting the tire, I'd take it back to the place you bought the tires from.
Road hazard/workmanship/manufacturer guarantee... Whatever they need to do to correct the problem.

bluedevil30
Car: 2009 M35X
175,000 miles

Postby bluedevil30 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:05 pm

They are Falken Ziex -329, don't know the age of the tire. I got cheaper tires not knowing how much longer I would have the car.

I actually thought the tire sounded like it had a flat but it doesn't.

I bought them from Mavis(large chain) with tire insurance and I will have them check the issue tomorrow.

Larz
Car: 2009 M35 RWD

Postby Larz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Is it possible that you need a wheel bearing replaced?
Maybe a rotor, but I reckon vibrations would be increased during braking.

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

Postby CarGuy87 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Given that you have done the basics like thoroughly checking it visually, I would do what I have done in the past to troubleshoot vibrations which is to rotate your tires front to back. This will narrow down if it's a tire issue or suspension/steering and you can go from there. Let us know what happened so others can benefit from your findings.

These cars are aging now so it's nice to catalog what areas of the car fail at what intervals, etc...

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

Postby steve_c » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 am

CarGuy87 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:37 pm
Given that you have done the basics like thoroughly checking it visually, I would do what I have done in the past to troubleshoot vibrations which is to rotate your tires front to back. This will narrow down if it's a tire issue or suspension/steering and you can go from there. Let us know what happened so others can benefit from your findings.
I agree with CarGuy! After checking steering/suspension components, I would re-balance the left front tire so that when it is on the rear (after rotation) you can rule out a tire balance / wheel issue, (should the problem follow the tire).
That is a moot point however, because while it is being re-balanced, the tech should tell you if they suspect a bent wheel. Seems to me Mavis is good for crying "bent wheel" when balance problems / complaints arise.
Whoever you bring it too, steering / suspension must be checked.
If you go back to Mavis, I would insist they re-balance the left front tire on their dime, if all checks out, since I think they have a warranty on balancing, (I believe for 90 days...but I could be confusing that with an alignment warranty...you will need to confirm that I am correct).
Again, as CarGuy points out, checking steering/suspension components is the priority in diagnosing the issue. Many things can cause the issue you are experiencing!
Make sure your lug nuts are all in place, and none are missing / loose. You cannot rule out anything until thoroughly checked!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”