2009 FX50 Bluetooth & iPod

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
majorheadache
Car: 2009 FX50S

My problem is that I normally listen to my ipod in the car. Primarily podcasts with people talking. When the phone kicks in, whether I am making or receiving calls, the ipod sounds cuts out (good) but the ipod doesn't stop playing (bad), so after the call I have to rewind the ipod to find the place I was in the segment. It's not terrible for making calls because I can pause it before-hand, but there's no remedy for this when receiving calls.

The compact flash player behaves the same way -- haven't tried the CD player yet.

My main question is whether you think this is just normal, or a if it's a bug/oversight in the programming. My last car had a Kenwood and it stopped the ipod whenever the bluetooth kicked in, so to me this seems like the "right way" to do it.

Other than this, loving the car!

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Welcome to NICOclub! Thanks for joining us here in the FX Forum!

Hmmm, that sounds very intersting, I have the Music Box & CFC set-up in both of my Nissans. It is the same system, I have not noticed it not stopping while I am on the phone (although that doesn't mean much). I honestly have not even used the iPod interface yet in my '09 Murano. I will check out what happens on a call with my CFC and Music Box tomorrow morning on my way to work. I will let you know what happen. Good questions, I would have never even thought about this.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Well, I tested it out in my Armada, and same thing happens. While you are on the phone, the music from your CFC or Music Box keeps playing. Believe it or not, I did not have a CD in the vehicle, so I could not test that, but I would assume it does the same thing. At least we know there isn't something wrong with your FX. That's funny, I never noticed that the music kept playing while I was on the phone.

majorheadache

I guess I'm glad that it's more universal than just Infiniti FX's, not that I'm surprised. Now to see if I can get some folks interested in pestering Nismo to put out a fix.

It may only be mildly annoying if you're listening to music, but for many podcasts, audio books, or any spoken word material, it's really a PITA. Not to mention, there's some extra risk now because you've got to now focus on the radio rather than the road while you get back to where you were.

So, whaddya think, can I get some people behind me and is Infiniti known to be proactive in addressing bugs like this?

FWIW, I figured out a more elegant way to express the problem. When the bluetooth is active, the system "mutes" the source, but does not "pause" the source, as one would hope.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

It's actually a Nissan issue as a whole - happens to both Nissans and Infinitis. My Altima has the same issue - I could be listening to a CD and get a call, only to find I am 3 songs further than when the call started..

majorheadache

I have a few other issues with this system, maybe you guys can tell me if yours have them too...

When listening to music, I normally prefer my screen to be displaying the music players screen, not the nav map. And that's fine, until I get, or make, a call. After that it switches itself to the nav map for no reason, which also means I have to give it the OK to get past the warning screen. That's gotta be a glitch, right? What logical reason could there be to switch to nav during a phone call?

The other irritating thing is that when initiating a call (pressing the phone icon on the steering wheel for example) it mutes the audio, as discussed above. But then after you find your number and hit dial it unmutes it momentarily, which usually results in a brief loud noise, which kinda sucks and seems unnecessary and unpolished.

And finally, I have a wish. I've just started using my ipod as a video player in the car. So instead of carrying around 5 to 10 DVDs for the kids, I can load dozens of movies on the ipod. That's great, but I have to fumble around with not only the ipod adapter cable for my audio listening, but now an AV adapter cable which goes from the headphone jack to the Aux AV input. Between the cables and the ipod flopping around loosely, there's barely any room left to use the center console compartment.

What they could have, and should have done is left a niche in one of the sides with a connector at the bottom for the ipod to slip into. Then the controls for videos could have been integrated into the ipod interface, along with the audio. Basically, like this product:

That would have been 10 times cleaner and 10 times more useful for very little extra effort on their part.

UnMaTcHeD
Car: 2009 FX35 AWD Blk/Blk

The same thing happens in the Kenwood DNX7100 and I am sure other aftermaket units.

majorheadache

Odd, my Kenwood KDC-MP6025 from 3 or 4 (5 maybe?) years ago handled this situation no problem. Music was paused, not muted. And regardless of whether most aftermarket do it or not, I'd be hard pressed to find any advantage to the mute over pause option. But it's a big disadvantage, for those of us who want to hear the source we've selected, the other way.

And I don't believe it's any harder for them to accomplish, especially since my old Kenwood could do it.

Sazar
Car: Infiniti M-45 2003

My iPhone always pauses and resumes from the point after the call.

I guess its a device/unit specific item and perhaps infiniti and other vehicles systems don't handle the events on a regular iPod correctly?

My phone handles these events directly so no need for after-market stuff.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”