2009 FX35 Transmission Troubles

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
vedderman
Car: 2009 FX35

Let me start by saying that this is my second infiniti, I turned in my 2007 M35x for a beautiful white fx35 3 weeks ago. The problem is the transmission, the switching of gears is random and not smooth at all. The downshifting is actually dangerous, as it jumps from 2nd to 1st with a very pronounced lurch along with a noise that you would expect from a 93 cavalier not a 2009 infiniti.

I'm not here to complain just to see if anyone else has had this problem, I was trying to "wait it out" and see if it worked itself out, but I just can't take it anymore. It's going in the shop tomorrow and hopefully they can figure it out. Other than this "little" issue, the car is amazing...

thanks,

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Don't worry the typical new vehicle has over 100 defects [3-7 immediately] that will show up in the first 3-5 years of ownership. Most are minor annoyances that are easily resolved during the every 90 day visit to dealer for oil changes.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Are any of the DTC indicting lights illuminated on your dash?If you feel it is not supposed to be this, don't hesitate to bring it in to get looked at, as that is the great thing about warranty. The 7 speed is a really smooth trans and the one I drove was almost seemless.

Remember this is Nissans first go at a 7 speed AWD setup like this, it might just need some updated software and is not really broken.

Gubbins
Car: Nissan product(s)

There is most likely a new software program either available or soon to be available for this trans (as STT said). Stay on your dealer to see if he's got it or if the service rep has info on when it will be. Not sure if it's going to cure that issue completely--but it should help.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Don't worry the majority of these problems should be ironed out for the 2010 model year FX.

fbpem1

honestly my opinion its probably not a problem its more than likely you purchased one of the first 09 Fx's and it was driven kind of hard, with the self learn on the trans it takes a while to re learn after driven kind of hard. What you should have done is ask the dealer to clear your "eprom" and see if that helps i see this all day long, well at least used to whenever a new trans comes out we have this complaint its just totally different than what anyone is used to to. The 7 speed like steve said is very smooth. Although i could see if being a little jerky if its driven hard at Full throttle this trans does engage fairly hard being at full line pressure.

Also there are no weird things going on with your selector posistion in the gauge cluster is there? that would indicate a fault detected if not its probably per norm and needs to relearn itself to your driving habits and not those of the salesmen or other people who have driven the vehicle.

How many miles were on the thing when you took delievery?

vedderman
Car: 2009 FX35

Thanks for the help. The car delivered with about 8 miles on it, it was right off the truck. I'll be honest, in the past 2 weeks or so, it really has been less noticeable, I'm leaning to your suggestion that it needed to "learn" my style of driving (it took 3989 miles to do it) but it is getting better. Thanks again.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

vedderman wrote:Thanks for the help. The car delivered with about 8 miles on it, it was right off the truck. I'll be honest, in the past 2 weeks or so, it really has been less noticeable, I'm leaning to your suggestion that it needed to "learn" my style of driving (it took 3989 miles to do it) but it is getting better. Thanks again.
Hopefully all is well, but if things don't seem right, be sure to get it into the dealer to have them check things out. It seems as though things always break when it is most inconvenient.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”