2009 Frontier LH Front power Window motor

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
frontierjoe
Car: 2009 Nissan Frontier

I am trying to replace what I think is a faulty power window motor on my King Cab driver's door. The Factory Service Manual says to reset the limit switch on the motor after replacing it. I do not see a limit switch in the motor that is in the door and I cannot find one on any that I want to purchase, even on the NissanParts website. Am I missing something?
I do however see what I think is a reset switch on a motor for other window motors like on an infinity but the power connection is very different on that.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220720-091439.jpg
FSM for 2009 Frontier

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't see a button either, but there's only a button on older window motors with Auto functionality. So if your driver window doesn't have Auto then it won't have one. If it does have Auto, then I think the FSM must be a typo. Try running the window all the way down, then all the way to the top and hold for 3~5 seconds. That's how all the later models re-time the windows.

frontierjoe

Thanks VStar, I was thinking that might be the case. I will try that and let you know.

frontierjoe

VStar650CL,
I tried what you suggested and also coated the glass channels with wet silicone. It seems now the auto up function does not engage but the auto down does. The motor intermittently cuts out but will start up again after I tap the motor housing with a ratchet extension. A tap or two and the motor starts working again, the auto up function has not come back though. I don't know if I held the up switch too long after it came to the top. I may test the Master switch up button harness at the motor to see if there is intermittent power when the motor fails to work but I can get it to start right up after tapping the motor/coil housing. So I am still leaning towards the motor/brushes etc.
What do you think?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Did you ever have Auto up? Most of the Frontiers from that period only had Auto down, up was manual. Check for binding in your regualtor, that sort of stop-and-go behavior is more frequently from a mechanical issue than electrical (although a weak motor can cause it too). Bad connections or contacts usually won't cause stop-start behaviors, just slow operation.

frontierjoe

VStar650CL,
I am not sure if I have auto up, I do it so obliviously that I can't remember. You know like "did I remember to shut my garage door when i left?" I will check my owners manual to see if that is mentioned.
I do get slow operation when it works but i also get nothing when i hit the button sometimes, that is when i would bang on the door panel near the motor and it would work then, but slowly.
Now I have the panel off for inspection and I can get to the motor housing with the ratchet extension to tap the motor and it works.
I will keep observing and let you know.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

When a motor needs to be tap-tapped it almost always means a problem with the brushes, either worn out or burnt. The way to verify that is to watch voltage across the motor terminals when you hit the switch with the engine stopped. If the motor is stalled it will draw lots of current and pull down the battery voltage. If the brushes are bad and losing contact, you'll see no drop because no juice is flowing.

frontierjoe

That suggests to me that I would need to back probe the motor connector harness to get a voltage reading. Does that sound correct? In any case you are leaning towards a faulty motor then?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

frontierjoe wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:15 pm
That suggests to me that I would need to back probe the motor connector harness to get a voltage reading. Does that sound correct? In any case you are leaning towards a faulty motor then?
Sorry I missed this post somehow. Yes, sounds like a bad motor. With the engine off a running or stalled motor will draw more than enough current to cause perceptible voltage drop anyplace in the truck, so checking at the motor terminals usually isn't necessary. If you see near-zero drop it implies the brushes are open.

frontierjoe

VStar650CL,
no problem, I have ordered a re-man motor from NAPA with a 12 month/12000 mi. replacement warranty and expect to pick it up today. I don't want to be a parts changer til I find the real problem, but I am thinking the motor is the culprit. I lubed the window guide channels with silicone, I tried to test the switch for the driver's window with a Power Probe but that was a little difficult doing it alone so I may attempt that again but I really can only test that when the motor doesn't operate and that is sporadic. Anyway I stil have the door panel off so that when/if it fails I can reach in to the motor and give it a tap and it starts right up, so I "think" the harness and switch is ok. I will keep you in the loop and thanks for sticking around with me.
I did however research my owner's manual and it seems you are correct, as it states that there is automatic express driver's window in the down operation, so maybe I just never paid attention to that sequence.
Figures though, that it has been working ok the past day or so but I haven't tried using the window alot because it has been so hot out I have the A/C on most of the drive cycles.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”