2009 Altima CVT fail

All things Altima Coupe.
toolband4308
Car: 2006 Nissan Altima

Hey guys I need some advice. My 2009 Altima Coupe CVT went in fail safe mode when I went up north for the 4th of July. Semi Trucks we’re passing me. This isn’t the first time it’s happened. Every time i get back into town it’s always good so I never worried about it until this most recent trip. A few days after I got home, the check engine light came on for a transmission code: P0744. Upon hours of research I’ve learned Nissan has had tons of complaints and the CVT warranty is 120k/10 years. I’m under 120k but my 10 year expired in March :( I took it to a Nissan dealership and they said the transmission needs replaced but Nissan will only cover 50% of cost. I’ve had the transmission drain / filled twice since I’ve had the car and I feel it’s nissans fault due to defective cooling on their CVTs. I tried fighting it with corporate but they won’t budge. What should i do? Fight it more or put the 2,400$ into it or get a new car?The car has 114k and the paint and everything is still in great condition.

https://ibb.co/cC83S0d

https://ibb.co/0Jy6V8F
Last edited by toolband4308 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

macgiver

It's gone the distance time-wise to give it SOME credit , 1or 2 owners you? , still nice car , then maybe yeah
$ 2400 not bad IF you NOW put an add-on HD cooler on that CVT , and a definite yes IF Dealer "puts in" full or partial (50%) the $$$ for cooler .Remember though consensus is CVT likes(needs) 30-35 kmi drain/fills .

toolband4308
Car: 2006 Nissan Altima

macgiver wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:45 pm
It's gone the distance time-wise to give it SOME credit , 1or 2 owners you? , still nice car , then maybe yeah
$ 2400 not bad IF you NOW put an add-on HD cooler on that CVT , and a definite yes IF Dealer "puts in" full or partial (50%) the $$$ for cooler .Remember though consensus is CVT likes(needs) 30-35 kmi drain/fills .
I am the 2nd Owner and SOME credit I'd say 114k for a tranny is pretty bad in MY opinion. You wont see that in any Toyota's. Yes they are included a upgraded cooler in that price they said.

AltimaHellcat
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima

I'm in the same situation as you pal, transmission has completely failed because the Service department of the Nissan Dealer repetitively misdiagnosed obvious transmission issues. I'm 6k over my mileage and 1 year past the warranty expiration. I'm gonna fight it because I have service records of them misdiagnosing my care like 5 times and neglecting clear symptoms of tranny problems in order to keep making me pay for diagnostics that I entitled to NOT pay for after all.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”