2009 240Z build

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

gmac708 wrote: Ricky props next...

That should help with the questions. Build thread? Where did you get the engine?

Gord
:boink: gotta get you a new sticker though

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Old school cue ball shift knob. It would just fit.

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

Hey gordon, she's looking good! Nice to see you got the wipers on finally lol.

I do have a replacement diff for my Z, so it's all yours once I clean/paint/install my new subframe and drop the old one.

Got new RLCA's yet?

~Alex

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

My vote on the shift knob is get the nismo titanium shift knob it feels so nice!

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

SBC 240Z wrote:wood shift knob, just do it
My first thought was to get the original Z in there. Still might try. It's pretty bad. I have not really found a good wood one that I like.
AZ89two4Tsx wrote:^ With a Nardi wheel! :)

Looks great man. Too bad you don't live closer! I would love to see it in person.
I will be heading west one day. You never know. I would like to check out your s13 as well. Do you still have it? I haven't been on 240 gen for a while.
FlatBlackIan wrote:Old school cue ball shift knob. It would just fit.
I was thinking 8 ball myself. :bigthumb: or...red bull can :poke:

Update

Had to work on Saturday, so only got a little bit done on Sunday. I put Betzy back on jacks. Getting ready to seal the floor seams. I played around with the headlights. I tried to adjust the right one as it seemed to be pointing a little too much to the left. I was having troubles locating the adjustment screw. It ends up I had the lights installed backwards (left and right). I thought I marked them when I took her apart, maybe they were in there like that before. Anyway...it is possible to do...derp. I took the headlight buckets off and got everything sorted out. :bigthumb:

I had to take the bumper and grill off. I am also trying to figure out a good spot for the oil cooler. I am going to put it behind the air dam scoop on the right side. I am playing around with cardboard to get the scoop to cooler duct fitting right. Not quite done yet, but you get the idea. I like this sort of stuff. :biggrin:

Also... got my new restored turn signal from Patrick Restorations [email protected] . I had had it with the intermittent switch. And it looks like from the photo, Betzy had the wrong switch installed. No big surprise. The top one has the correct pigtail length for the early series 1. Got the switch installed and everything works. Very happy.

Alex dropped off a R200 CLSD and 2 axles for inspection. This one has high mileage but still has possibilities. Who says you cannot find these things in a junk yard anymore.

That's it for now.

Gord

SBC 240Z

Looking good looking very good. One thing I've learned is that no matter how much counter top space you have you will always run out. I have about a 40'x3' table in my shop and every square inch of it gets covered with every project I tackle, you look like you're managing yours a bit better though.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Loved the vids, looks like you had fun at the track! :dblthumb:

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

A quick update

I went to town on the seam sealer this weekend. I should have done it a long time ago. With all this driving and the chances of rain, I would hate to have it start rusting.

The internal frame coating was for the inside of the Bad Dog frame rails. It comes with a cool little nozzle on the end of a long spray hose (24"). I drilled a couple hole in the floor and fed the hose down inside, fore and aft.

Next up was the two part, self leveling, seam sealer I applied from the top. This stuff was very thin and flowed into every opening. I even had a few stalactites under the car where it found it's way through. Great stuff.

Next up was the hard part. I taped off all the seams and applied the regular one part stuff. My arms hurt :cry:

Next on the list was to pull the flares off and seal the seams around the fenders. I painted the insides and the outsides where I had ground the paint off. This took up the rest of the weekend.

Everything is back together and I made a little trip up to the local tavern for a few chicken wings and a cold beverage. The weather did not look the best, I was kind of hoping that it did rain so I could check out my new wiper blades. It ended up not raining, Maybe next time...

Gord

boostedh23a1
Car: Datsun 240Z
Datsun 280Z

keep it up there Gordie, I'm right behind ya... dreading do my rear flares :/

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

Do you think a plasma cutter would be find doing the cutting for the flares. That thing sure makes life simplier. Just drain the gas tank just in case :P

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Do not use the plasma cutter to cut your flares! You will end up setting your car on fire. There is a bunch of the tar based insulation down inside the wheel well.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I think that "tar" stuff is primitive urethane body panel adhesive, and who hadn't caught theri car on fire form time to time? anytime there si welding or cutting small fires can pop up it's being prepared and dealign with it that sepperates the men form the boys ;) and I'd go cut off whee, as many here won't understand you need to preserve the inner wheel liner at a longer length so you can fold it out to meet the new arch

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

evildky wrote:who hadn't caught theri car on fire form time to time? anytime there si welding or cutting small fires can pop up it's being prepared and dealign with it that sepperates the men form the boys ;) and I'd go cut off whee, as many here won't understand you need to preserve the inner wheel liner at a longer length so you can fold it out to meet the new arch
^^^what he said...also described on page 7.

Plasma cutters make things go faster, not necessarily the way to go for this cut though. I would take your time here.

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

Yea, right now I'm working on restoring the dash. I have it done but the SEM texture coat is pissing me off. cant seem to get a decent consistent pattern. I might end up using bedliner. After that I need to put the finishing touches on the heater core box and reinstall everything. My speedhuts should be here thursday. After that... TEST and TUNE...

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

boostedh23a1 wrote:Yea, right now I'm working on restoring the dash. I have it done but the SEM texture coat is pissing me off. cant seem to get a decent consistent pattern. I might end up using bedliner. After that I need to put the finishing touches on the heater core box and reinstall everything. My speedhuts should be here thursday. After that... TEST and TUNE...
You need to post some pictures of the dash repairs on your build. That would be pretty interesting. WE WANT MORE!

A little update.

My brake lights quit working. :facepalm: It looks like my pressure switch could not handle the current draw of all the lights back there. I sort of "McGyvered" the old switch back in so I could keep driving. :gapteeth: I am going to clean out the light sockets and see if I have any corrosion or anything that would cause a high current draw. Big week coming up and I will not miss out on TOTD.

I went to National Trails Raceway on Sunday to play around with Betzy on the 1/4 mile track. It was an absolutely beautiful day and it was the "import faceoff" so there was lots of cool import cars around.

Fun was had by all. My best time was 13.3 @113.4 MPH. I was taking it easy off the line at first. My last run I tried to get too aggressive and I had a bunch of wheel hop / wheel spin. I guess I need to get a different setup for the drags. There is no way you can hold your foot to the floor off the line. It was fun to get a baseline of what she does, before I crank up the boost and get the CLSD installed. Need more traction!

Looking forward to a short week at work, and a long weekend on the road in the mountains. Heading down on Friday. :dblthumb:
Gord

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

I have a r230 in mine and it seems like its doing well, granted im not tuned yet and cant launch hard, especially with these crappy tires on it.

evildky

what tires are you running? when drag racing drag radials or better yet full on wrinkle wall slicks really make a huge differance, also zero out your camber in the back, my car ran a 13.010 with the l28 stock managment and no intercooler! but I had some decent drag radials (and lots fo weight reduction), my best 60 foot time was actually when it was n/a 2.4 on 20" slicks, I manages a 1.6 60 foot time, but those tires were way to small and I had to shift a lot

keep in mind traction can break parts, if you know how stony is he has had more drivetrain failures than anyone in an S30 that I've ever heard of

keep at it and you'll be able to outrun those pesky stock L28's ;)

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

evildky wrote:what tires are you running? when drag racing drag radials or better yet full on wrinkle wall slicks really make a huge differance, also zero out your camber in the back, my car ran a 13.010 with the l28 stock managment and no intercooler! but I had some decent drag radials (and lots fo weight reduction), my best 60 foot time was actually when it was n/a 2.4 on 20" slicks, I manages a 1.6 60 foot time, but those tires were way to small and I had to shift a lot

keep in mind traction can break parts, if you know how stony is he has had more drivetrain failures than anyone in an S30 that I've ever heard of

keep at it and you'll be able to outrun those pesky stock L28's ;)
Tires are 245/50ZR-16 Mich Pilot AS plus. Not excactly slicks. I love them on the street, they felt great on the race track with turns :biggrin: . I was taking it easy off the line. 60' 2.546 sec, 1/8 was 8.912 sec @ 87.66 mph, 1/4 was 13.310 sec @ 113.41 mph.
A good start.

evildky

something with a taller more pliable sidewall would help a lot, your time from 1/8 to 1/4 is pretty much inline wiht a mid 12 second car, you running low boost? what size turbo(s)?

jdansmith
Car: 2008 Sentra 2.0S, 91 Sentra 1.6DHOC, 89 Hardbody Z24

Gordon your Z is a true work of art. I would like to thank you for leaving my lil Hardbody in the dust, I was hypnotized while following it through the twisties. :yesnod Good to meet you and thanks for the second chance for the under hood pics. I came in ready to upload my pics. only to find out my card reader is down :frown: I'll give you a heads up and shoot you a link when I get them uploaded. Have a safe trip home and take care of Betzy, she is one special gal.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Made it to US-129 Tail of the dragon this weekend.
Put about 1300 miles on Betzy. She performed flawlessly until the torrential rains fell on Monday. The water ended up shorting out my fan control/relay, which is connected to the ignition circuit. That was corrected by covering up the un-used holes in the right fender, beside the fan control. Those will be filled when we go to paint. Anyway. I should get back to the build next week.

jdansmith wrote:I'll give you a heads up and shoot you a link when I get them uploaded. Have a safe trip home and take care of Betzy, she is one special gal.
Thanks Dan. Enjoyed the company.

SBC 240Z

congrats on the safe and successful trip

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

gmac708 wrote: I will be heading west one day. You never know. I would like to check out your s13 as well. Do you still have it? I haven't been on 240 gen for a while.
Well, kind of. I'm sure you're thinking of my first S13. I ended up selling that and acquiring an E34 BMW....which I ended up selling too, haha. I'm back in a 240 again though, kind of an oddball, an S13.5.

Anyways, the Z is looking great! Getting ever so close! I love how you never skip anything. Great attention to detail. :bigthumb:

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

2.5 0-60ft? I would say your taking it real easy. My little honda prelude gets 2.2 on 40series, and thats just spinning all the time. Grab some street slicks, i wanna see some numbers cause my setup is pretty similar cept for my r230.

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

Gord, was great seeing you and the car at the dragon. :bigthumb:

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

Gord must be busy getting work done. Updates :)

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

boostedh23a1 wrote:Gord must be busy getting work done. Updates :)
Mostly driving. :biggrin:

I spent last Saturday driving the twisty roads of eastern/southern Ohio with my local ZROC friends. We put about 220 miles on the cars driving on HWY 676 and HWY 555. So much fun, beautiful day to be out driving.

Lots of different Z's. A very friendly group. Not a lot of garage queens here. This club drives somewhere every weekend. :bigthumb:

I was one of three 1970 240Zs.

If you ever get the chance to drive those roads, do it! :dblthumb:

Then on Sunday I went to a local auto cross event at Columbus motor speedway. It was set up by the local Porsche club. My friend Dave took his 57 356 coupe.

I was surrounded by Porsches, but there was also another Datsun. I have seen him a few times at Mid Ohio and all I can say about this car is "little angry car is very fast". It sounds amazing. :yesnod

So, as you can see, I have not touched Betzy with a wrench at all. She is running so good. I have been playing with the shock settings, but that is about it. I promise to update this build thread as soon as I can. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the drive.

I'm off to Phoenix this weekend. :wavey:

Gord

SBC 240Z

was the 510 from florida? with a SR?

Viper5000
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE/6MT

Looks like someone was featured on Killboy's site from when we were @ the Dragon:

http://killboy.blogspot.com/2011/09/fancy-radiator.html (lol @ comments)

SBC 240Z

They must be true gurus to be able to tell what kind of engine is in a car based on wheel choice. :rotflmao

love your car, ignore the haters

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”