2009 240Z build

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Awesome! Getting so close!

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

http://realstreetperformance.com/store/ ... est-5.html For your insanely loud fuel pump issue, maybe you should look into the aeromotive 340lph intake pump? Should be far quieter then your current one.

~Alex

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Checking in again for some more awe-inspiration- mission accomplished!
Can't wait until next time...looks close!

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

RustspecS13 wrote:http://realstreetperformance.com/store/ ... est-5.html For your insanely loud fuel pump issue, maybe you should look into the aeromotive 340lph intake pump? Should be far quieter then your current one.

~Alex
I wonder if it is quieter :confused: The one I got is starting to bother me. :squint:

Having a great weekend. :bigthumb:
It's Cam's graduation and my mom and dad are here for the weekend. :clap:
Dad has been helping sneak in little work on Betzy today...always nice to have some helping hands.

The roll bar was never painted, other than around the welds with a primer. I was worried about getting at least a coat of primer on them and maybe a coat of paint. I needed to pull the rear quarter windows out to have a good angle to paint parts of the roll bar, and the new seals needed to be replace in the quarter windows anyway.

Very warm here today. I needed plenty of liquid to keep cool. Dad striped off the old window tint and crispy seals.

The right side turned out perfect. I was worried about the seals fitting correctly, sometimes you never know with Black Dragon...I'll post pictures of that later.

The roll bar came out great. I masked off all the appropriate areas and went to town on it.

Just a good coat of self etching primer and a couple of coats of 918 orange from rattle cans.

Cleaned up the over spray dust and put the seats back in. Tomorrow is... maybe get the left quarter wing back together and installed.

That's it for today.
Gord

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

I got the back windows installed this morning. It was really to do.
The rear window comes apart by removing the four screws holding the frame together. The window frame is spot or tack welded at the bottom sharp angled corner, so be careful to not pry it too much or you will break the weld. I had everything all cleaned up and ready for instillation. i also got some soapy water to help the rubber slide a little better.

The window is curved convex to the outside, slide the window in seal.

Slide the window and seal into lower part of frame. Notice back corner has little trim piece. That just slides over frame edges.

The two front screws go into the forward frame, and also attach a door trim seal. This seal was purchased from Black Dragon and is made for 70-78. As you can see from the photos, it has two extra screw holes in it. :gotme

These hole are not used in my car. Not really sure where they are used, but easy for me to fill with sealant. :bigthumb:

This is the seal that gets glued around the outside of the window frame and seals against the body. The seal edge was a long and a short lip. The long lip goes to the outside. I used the 3M black seal glue. Awsome stuff. :dblthumb:

Rub a little soap on the seal and frame and slide it in and secure it with the four screws the hold it in.

Really came out great. I'll see about the door seal stuff later when I try and hang the doors.
That's it for today.
Gord

raremotive
Car: 04 G35

I am liking your progress so far! Keep up the good work. :) Can't wait to see you tearing up the tarmac.

Sometime soon I would like to get back to cranking on my RB-Z project.

DCaff300ZX
1993 CRP TT- Modified

^^^Would be great to see both your project and Betzy going at the same time!

SkyS13Walker
Car: 1990 240sx Hatch-back

:bowrofl: This is that sickest build......Bow to the KING

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Update time.

I worked on the brake lines today. I got all the lines inside the car hooked up. :woot:

I started with the front brake and clutch lines. I drilled a couple holes on the centerline of the car. The top fitting is a "t" and is for the front brakes. The lower one is for the clutch.

I installed banjo fittings on the masters to save a little room. The master on left is for the clutch and has a bleeder port in the end of the banjo. So does the one on the far right for the rear brakes. The banjo in the middle is for the front brakes and has a pressure switch in it to turn on the brake lights.

Lines were pretty easy to bend and flare. I still need to get them secured and clamped up. But they are in and look pretty nice. I used copper nickel seamless tubing. Easy to bend and all double flared.

I ran the rear brakes back to here, and then through a bulkhead fitting.

Lots of room for a brake bias valve...maybe later.

I installed the ss flex line for the clutch. Banjo fitting on the slave cylinder. Now I just need a short line up to the firewall fitting.

I also got the rear brake line installed out the back, so rear brake lines are all done. Just the front two brake lines and the clutch line.

Maybe take her for a test drive tomorrow???????

Time for a beer.

Gord

GRNMACHINE
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Incredible Progress!! I would say its time for a beer (plural)!!

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Update

I got all the brake lines finished up today. :bigthumb: I still need to add a bunch of clamps to secure them.

Here is a picture of the right front and clutch...

And right side viewed from the bottom.

Here is left front. I kept it as far away from the turbos as possible.

And viewed from the bottom...

I then spent the next hour or so bleeding the air out and fixing a few little leaks here and there. Everything was perfect by the time I was done. Next thing was to drop her on the ground and back her out under her own power...

A quick little spin around the block...

I would like to say it went perfect, but we have a few issues.

The good :dblthumb:

Steering is light and responsive. No Vibrations in drive train. Suspension is firm but not too hard. Engine is crazy smooth and strong. Clutch is not too hard to push.

The bad :frown:

Brakes are going to require adjustment and the left rear E brake does not work. Right rear turn signal inop. Horn relay getting hot, but still clicks when you push the horn.

I took it around the block a few times, then came back and started hooking up the lights and got most of them working. Then went back out on a main road to open it up a little. As I came back around close to my house, I picked up one of Gahanna's finest. He followed me across the main drive and around a few corners. Sure glad I got the turn lights and brake lights working. He split after a few blocks... :wavey:

I am supposed to take it easy on the clutch for a few miles. I have to get all the other stuff working, but it's a start.

Time for a beer. Betzy is back on the road. It's been a while...

Gord

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Wow! Big day! Congrats!

I'd love to see a video if possible.. I want to hear that godzilla purrrrrr!

raremotive

Eikon wrote:Wow! Big day! Congrats!

Seconded. :dblthumb:

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Eikon wrote:Wow! Big day! Congrats!

I will try and post up a Vid, the one I have is too big.

I went out for an evening drive up to get some fresh gas. I am having way too much fun. My face hurts from smiling. :biggrin:
A few more photos...

I'll get to work on those loose ends. Still a bit more left to do.

Gord

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

congrats, it's been a long time coming but worth the wait ;)

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

evildky wrote:congrats, it's been a long time coming but worth the wait ;)
Thanks. And you were right about having to dial out the rear brake bias with the balance bar. A whole bunch.

bryan d.
Car: 2003 Redline Nissan 350Z Touring 6-Speed

i hope to have the ability to do this kind of stuff someday. congrats on the build pure win!

gordom

Great job, son :mike Damn, I was there a week too early to have a ride.
Celebrate your birthday today with an extra brew or two for me :naughty:
A BIG congrats for your patience, hanging in there and doing it right.
I'm very proud of you (and the family).
<Dad>

Madhatter969
Car: 95' SE s14 - build project
05' Evo VIII - DD

Glad to see it's on the road! Your work and how you put the car together is perfect in my opinion, hopefully one day my z is going to get to this point of epicness. Great job!

joel26

Awesome build and great info and lots of great pics..

carps13guy
Car: 91 coupe ka

i haven't logged on in a while...lots of work done thats for sure. awesome job getting her on the road, i bet you are stoked! & as always this car is way too clean, the little details are what make me like it soo much. great work

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

I want it so hard. If you ever sell here, you let me know, for serious.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

FlatBlackIan wrote:I want it so hard. If you ever sell here, you let me know, for serious.
:biggrin: I have had a few offers. Lots of people pointing and a bunch of "thumbs up" :dblthumb: seems to be a popular car.

WOW, where to begin.

The last couple of weeks have been awesome. I have been driving Betzy every ware. At first it was close to home, but I eventfully ventured out across town, a cruise in on Friday night and then up to Mid Ohio race track today. The weather has not been cooperating all that much. I refuse to get her wet until I get some of the floor seems sealed and at least the wipers on her.

The update on the build.

I removed the rear tranny mount for a few more minor grinds. I modded it when we needed to run the exhaust real close to it. It needed just a little more areas rounded off. This is what it ended up looking like.

I had to drop the exhaust out all the way to get access but it went in and out real easy. :bigthumb:

I ended up dropping the mast cylinder a couple sizes for the front brakes. Originally I had 7/8" diameter. I had to crank the balance bar all the way bias to the front to stop the rears from locking up.

So I went with the 3/4". The drop in diameter will increase PSI to the front calipers for the same given pedal force.

Cool having the reverse mount masters. About 1/2 hour job including the bleeding of the brakes.

Now I have the balance bar cranked back out to about the middle and I can lock up the front wheels. Now I can play around with it some more.

I got a whole bunch of clamps installed to support the brake lines, and I also finally got around to installing the door panels. That cut down on a lot of interior noise.

I installed a used pair of sparco 5 point harnesses. They are out of date but they are fine for street. Free is good. :bigthumb:

Today, Alex (RustspecS13) and Dave and I headed up to Mid Ohio for some vintage racing and a little show and tell with fellow Z owners. Dave brought his 57 356 coup, Alex had his 88 300 turbo. The drive to and from the track was incredible. We went on all back roads, no interstate hwys. Got her up to about 75 and she handle perfect. So smooth. :woot:

We got to do a few parade laps on the track. They tried to keep us under 40... :chuckle:

I was in heaven with a bunch of Z's...

Everybody loved my cardboard dash. :gapteeth:

That's about it for now. My RH turn signal stopped working and I have about a million other things to do.
Time for a beer.
Gord

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Most likely the stalk switch contacts for the turn signal issue.

I have GOT to see some videos of this thing! Surely there's no size limit on Youtube, when people are posting 30 minute clips in full 1080 HD!

kelloggman
Car: 73 240z

Now what color are you painting it

DCaff300ZX
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Wow, I missed the Big Day a little bit but- Congratulations betting Betzy on the road!
Can't wait until you get us some video... :dblthumb:

raremotive

DCaff300ZX wrote:Wow, I missed the Big Day a little bit but- Congratulations betting Betzy on the road!
Can't wait until you get us some video... :dblthumb:
Agreed. I want to hear that RB purr! :woot:

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

I was always wondering about the paint, but now that the car is mechanically sound and you say its fun to drive, I don't think it's that important anymore

P.G
Car: 08 Altima - 2.5S MT

Good Work ...

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

A quick update

I was getting mad about the sound coming from the fuel pump. The aeromotive stealth was everything "but" stealthy. I was very noisy. The pump was mounted to the top of the tank and it was like a drum, amplifying the ringing of the motor. Today I decided to change over to the new stealth 340 pump. It has a good review as far as supporting the higher HP engines and actually outperforms the Bosch 044 pump. So...

Out comes the tank.

Monster A1000 on the left, 340 on the right...

I made a new plate for the top, made up an angled piece of aluminum to support it.

It should bolt right up to the top of the tank.

Everything was fantastic. I went for a long test drive and it performed flawless. I also calibrated the fuel quantity system. while the tank was out. It now reads accurate. Working the bugs out, one at a time.

That's it for today

Gord

P.S. Going to seek help with video. Volunteers??

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”