2009 240Z build

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
makaofox
Car: 1991 nissan 300zx coupe TT

Dam the build is looking absolutely fantastic man. Keep it up :)

svairman
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45

What is this blasphemy? This thread has been bumped out of the top ten due to inactivity! :nono: Someone either tell this man how sick his car is thread is or Gord bless us with teeny weeny update

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

Sorry...my bad. Update time.

I was a little depressed about the whole thing and really tried to not think about it. Bottom line is that the car is still in the shop. The roll Bar is "almost done". They have a few more details to finish up on that. The shoulder-harness-position-retainer-thingies for example. Otherwise super clean welds and very nice looking. Me Likey.

They have the parts for exhaust but have not started on that yet. :frown:

Weekend went well atherwise. Helped Evan put in a short shifter in the Civic on Saturday and played around with Cam's RX7 on Sunday.

Alex (RustspecS13) came by and picked up Cam's old KA long block. We pulled the head off and inspected the pistons. He might be able to salvage some good parts from it.

I also played around with the heater core from Betzy. The heater control valve is stuck and the hoses are crispy. Those need replaced.

It was pretty dirty as well

The end pulls off to expose the heater core.

The core looked really clean inside.

This should not take long to clean up. I'll replace all the foam too.

That's about it. Slowly coming to the realization that she won't be done for Carlisle.

Poop :frown:

Gord

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

That sucks you won't make it this year, but at least it will look even nicer for next year. In the end your building it for you so even if other people won't be able to admire it, you will.

mastakilla08
Car: 1992 hatch, 1989 piggy coupe, 1991 coupe silv.

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

svairman
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-2 ... 43a6b3db8e

I think this should be a good example/ argument for keeping the car the original color. I was surprised how good the factory paint looks when glossy, I especially like the low light shot of the side badge. It really makes the paint look pearly

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

So you took the car to the shop on March 7th to get a rollbar/cage and exhaust? And it is now almost May and you don't have it back yet?

That is terrible.. What was the name of that shop again? Will remember not to take anything there in the future.

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Updates.

Demand them we do.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

FlatBlackIan wrote:Updates.

Demand them we do.
Things are going well. Betzy is done at Defined Autoworks and will be home shortly. I will post pictures and audio as soon as I can. :bigthumb:
I promise a big update that will be worth the wait. :biggrin:
I have been helping Cam get his RX7 ready for this weekend at Carlisle. :woot:
Gord

dgms240
Car: '90 s13 hatch ka24det

Just read thru this whole thing. Awesome build!!! I've always been a fan of the old Zs and its nice to see one being brought back to life, and with an RB too. Keep it up man, I can't wait to see it finished!!

northstar ninja
Car: 74 260Z, 92 240sx hatch.

Whew, finally finished reading this thread! I have a 260z, and I had an RB25det for it, but unfortunately I had to sell the RB. The Z is sitting in pieces in my garage. I wish I had seen this thread before I started cutting holes in my floorpan to patch the rust :tisk: :tisk:

Nonetheless, great build and great thread. I'll be referring back to this thread often for my project. It'll help me not have anymore stupid ideas...

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

So gordon, should I call in sick saturday and go to carlile with you? :D I'll give you a call.

~Alex

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Carlisle was a blast.
Things started out on Friday the 13th pretty bad. We lost one of the cars on the way over. One of Cameron's friends lost control of his car in a torrential downpour while traveling through West Virginia and rolled his 240SX . Austin and Zach were fine and Zach actually continued on in Cameron's car the rest of the way to Carlisle. Side windows shattered and the roof is pretty well bent up. :sad: by-by 240...Could have been a lot worse. They both are very lucky to not get hurt.

Then we got to Carlisle and things stated to get a whole lot more fun. Met a buch of new friends and bunch of old friends from previous events. Cam got a few good laps on the track.

I even got a few laps in the XB :biggrin:

I posted a bunch of track pictures here photos-t532803.html

If you have never gone to a NICO event, you should. Very friendly crowd and good quality times with friends and family.
We got back home safe and sound.

Now back to Betzy...

a sneak peek of things to come

Weather is crappy still. My lawn mower quit just when the grass needs cutting twice a week. I hope to get everything back on track this week. I'll keep everybody posted.
Gord

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

wow, sorry to hear about zacks car. Did it get towed back home? Thats a real shame...

Sounds like a decent turn out! I had to be responsible this weekend but it was good. Work ended up being busy sothat was good money, then my dad paid me to pull the motor in his 944, so sunday was good too! I'll have the next events called off for sure though! I hate missing them!

~Alex

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

Yea sorry to see the S14 smashed up. Good thing no one is hurt. Still digging the progress on this car :)

OneFairlady

Awesome build man!

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

OK
So where did I leave off.

I cleaned up the heater core and got all that back together w/new seals and a new valve. It's ready to go back in. :bigthumb:

Betzy made it home last week and everything came out great. :banana:
Here are a few shots of the exhaust.
All stainless steel, very clean welds. Nice job :bigthumb: Logan and Pete are the best.

3" all the way back with a small area of oval tubing near tranny mount.

Nice slip joint w/spring...

Borla muffler. It has three hangars...on the very back and on both sides.

Roll bar looks great. I need to get a coat of paint on it ASAP. Primer and then some orange.

It is tucked in as high as it could get. Excellent job.

Overall...it was worth the wait. There is no way I could have done it myself.

I started on the throttle cable today.

I purchased new S14 pedal and cable P/N 18005-70F00 and 18005-70F00 from Courtesy Nissan.

I'm going to need to bend this a little :gapteeth: This required several test fits before it was just right.

The pedal mounts to the old support angle. I had to add another hole for second bolt and nut.

That gave me the coordinates for the cable hole in firewall. I also cut off the old bracket on the front side of the firewall.

This is the old bracket on the end of the cable that has a little bumper on it for the pedal to rest against when you are not pressing on the gas.

I cut the bracket down to this size because it would be mounted with hole lined up and down, not sideways.

The cable has a cool little rubber seal on it that covers the hole that you feed the cable through.

Looks like this up front when done.

Bolts right up the the RB

Nice and clean back here

I still need to adjust the floor stop, but I figured I should get the brakes and clutch stuff setup and then adjust all the pedals at the same time. :dblthumb:

Alex cam over last week and assisted in the hatch install. I got the Spoiler test fit today. MSA PN 501527. decided against the BRE because it had a flat spot on the passenger side for a badge and I am going to go wo badges. So many choices...one piece, three piece...I decided on this.

I like it. :biggrin:

That's it for today.

Gord

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Biggest tease in the world. :P

I wanna see this thing go, haha!

TLZee
Car: 1974 260z

i love this thread. keep up the work!

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

I started on the brakes today. I installed some ss lines going to the front calipers.
Pretty basic stuff...looks good.

I started playing around with the master cylinders and the remote reservoirs. The Tilton 75-series come with two size reservoirs.

A 4 oz and a 7 oz. Tilton says both are adequate but recommends the bigger 7 oz "when there is significant amount of pad wear during an event." The 4 0z "for clutch applications and brake systems used in short races where brake pad wear is at a minimum".

I'm thinking the 4 oz would be OK. Space does not seem to be an issue so I could always go with the bigger ones. :gotme Do you really go through a set of brake pads in one race??

I need to mount them on a bracket over by where the windshield wiper bottle is. That's my next step...that will have to wait until next weekend.

I am going to order the tubing and the fittings for the rest of the brake system this week. Also ordered a couple rattle cans of 918 Orange for the roll bar. :biggrin:

Gord

boostedh23a1
Car: Datsun 240Z
Datsun 280Z

good progress. im just running in circles on mine... i need a game plan. cant seem to get rid of the driveline vibe. Gabriel said they can make a low mount for the r230, mines a high mount that is shimmed down as far as it can go (bottom of mustache bar bolts) and that makes it a 0.2 degree down angle on the driveshaft with a 3.2 operating angle on the front ujoint and a 3.0 on the rear... i wouldnt think this would vibrate but it does... ehhh, I'll figure it out.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

boostedh23a1 wrote:good progress. im just running in circles on mine... i need a game plan. cant seem to get rid of the driveline vibe. Gabriel said they can make a low mount for the r230, mines a high mount that is shimmed down as far as it can go (bottom of mustache bar bolts) and that makes it a 0.2 degree down angle on the driveshaft with a 3.2 operating angle on the front ujoint and a 3.0 on the rear... i wouldnt think this would vibrate but it does... ehhh, I'll figure it out.
I think if you keep the centerline of the transmission and the centerline of the differential parrallel, both angles on the u-joints should offset and vibration kept at a minimum. It sounds like you are really close 0.2 degree. Are the yokes clocked the same on drive shaft? Shaft bent? :gotme

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

yea driveshaft is in phase... Few more days i will figure it out. Im actually taking the weekend off for once... :crazy:

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

the driveshaft is meant to be at a bit fo an angle, the output yoke and the pinion flange should be paralell but a straight shaft can cause flatspotting of the needle bearings in the U joints

are you using an off the shelf shaft, full custom or modified frankenshaft? might be orth having the shaft ballanced at your local driveshaft shop

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

I had powertrain industries make it. they said they balanced it. it does have 2 weights on it.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

I started to mount the brake remote brake reservoirs. I played around with mounting them on firewall or on a bracket under hood service panel. I decided to use the area where the windshield wiper washer fluid was. It was easy access to service the reservoir and also I could mount the reservoir up a couple inches higher, due to hood clearance. The reservoirs are also a few inches farther away from the turbos.

So I made up a bracket to mount the reservoirs to.

One side of the bracket was welded to the firewall and the other end was welded to the bracket that used to support the WW fluid bottle. I can always mount that any ware. Now we have the reservoirs mounted here. Easy access to service them..

I got the hoses that run to the masters hooked up.

This is the adapters that go on top of the masters. The hoses hook up here.

Lots of room

Here it is with the service panel closed. I don't have the little rubber bumpers in there yet, but it still had lots of room.

That's it about it for today. Time for a beer. :bigthumb:
Gord

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Tail lights are back in...First sign of life, other than RB...

It's alive...

No biggie,just plugged in the harness, but still cool for me. I never saw anything work before and this is the first time for tail lights. :banana:

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

I made some progress today.

I got the rear end filled up with some gear lube. :bigthumb: Painted the rear trim panels that surround the tail lights flat black. :bigthumb: I used lacquer so it should be easy to strip later when the real paint job happens. I also got the rear spoiler mounted. :bigthumb: It was two bolts mounted from the bottom. I am working off as many to-do items I can get.

I started out working on the brake lines. One thing that just was not right was the rear left ss braided line. I did not like the way I ran it to the original bracket so I decided to fab up a new bracket and relocate it to a better spot. Here is the bracket welded up to the back. View is looking up and back, above axle. Lot's of fun laying on back and welding.

I cut the old brake line and shortened it. Re- flared and installed on the line using original retaining clips.

Before...

After...

Much better. :dblthumb: It looks they way it should be done, and matches the right side.

I have some new help. This is Duke. He's the brown one. Joey is not too happy about the whole thing but is getting used to it.

That's about it for this weekend.
Gord

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

very nice my friend... good progress over the weekend. :mike

Madhatter969
Car: 95' SE s14 - build project
05' Evo VIII - DD

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to use a lot of inspiration from your build for when I start mine, counting down the days until I get my 240z. Should be very soon. Great build!

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”