2008 Versa Back up camera help

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
superjew78
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

I am hooking up an aftermarket back up camera to my after market radio. I am wondering if anyone knows what color the reverse light wire is so i can tap into it. Thanks

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hey SJ, welcome to NICO Club! What wires are you talking about? The ones that came with your camera or the ones that came with your radio? That's what you're connecting aren't you?

superjew78

I am talking about the actual car wires. I need to know what wire to tap the reverse radio wire into so the input switches automatically when the car is put in reverse. I just need to know what color the positive reverse light wire is that runs from the front of the car to the back

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Check the FSM for your vehicle. There's a link to NICO's FSM collection in my sig line.

superjew78

it doesnt tell me what color the wire is.

centralcoaster33

Hey, sorry I misunderstood your question. Most wires have their color designation in the FSM as Rogue One mentioned. Take a look. The LT chapter has your brake light wiring diagram on page 66. Each wire has a letter in it and that is the color code. Chapter GI has the 'how to read a wiring diagram' instructions and on page 17 is the color code list.

Here's a link to all the chapter links:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Versa/2008_Versa/

I don't know which wire you'll be wanting to tap into, but I hope this can help you out. :)

superjew78

centralcoaster33 wrote:Hey, sorry I misunderstood your question. Most wires have their color designation in the FSM as Rogue One mentioned. Take a look. The LT chapter has your brake light wiring diagram on page 66. Each wire has a letter in it and that is the color code. Chapter GI has the 'how to read a wiring diagram' instructions and on page 17 is the color code list.

Here's a link to all the chapter links:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Versa/2008_Versa/

I don't know which wire you'll be wanting to tap into, but I hope this can help you out. :)

I want to tap into the reverse lights. The ones that activate when you put the car in reverse.

centralcoaster33

You don't want the camera to come on when you hit the brakes? Sounds kind of cool to me. :crazy:

Okay, try Back-Up Lamp diagram on page LT-70. :bigthumb:

I'd guess you want that O colored wire after the PNP switch, but that is a guess.

superjew78

lol i cant read those diagrams for crap. I was hoping someone actually did it and knew first hand. I guess i will have to fiddle around

centralcoaster33

Oh, bummer. I did some searching online for you and found this info that I think will help you. Let me know if this works for you or not. I don't like to quote other sites, but this guy was a one post wonder, the post seems pertinent, and credit is given to the poster.

Quote - Japanmade of Nissan Versa Forums "...I got the camera that mounts on the liscense plate bolts, you find them everywhere, and easy to mount. running the wire from the bumper was tricky yet very easy. From the inside of trunk area(hatch) where the latch is there are 2 plastic plugs that need to be popped of, after that pull the weather stripping off the panel, then the whole piece can pop right off, you will see a groumet with wires passing through them, pull the groumet out and you have access to the outside bumper. I used weed wacker line to feed it through the hole. then from the liscence plate area you will see an open area or hole going into bumper. feed another weed wacker line though it. then crawl under bumper and you will see the 2 lines going into the bumper, I attached the 2 with tape and fed it though into the hatch. theres you entry to run your wires for the camera. After running the camera wires through, i replugged the groumet. So most head unit require the reverse switch hook up and the camera needs the 12v to activate it, so here is where you'll find that wire. On the driver's side you will see access holes to replace the tail lights, pop the bigger one of the 2 off, look for the wire harrness, it should mounted on the bolt, unplug it. The wire that you need is the yellow one, T tapped that wire to the camera 12v and the reverse signal wire from the deck together. camera ground I screwed it to the metal part of hatch."

superjew78

thanks a ton!!! I will let you know how it works

drink
Car: 2008 Versa Note S Manual

[morgan freeman voice] But he did not let them know how it worked

Not much of a Versa community out there huh? Too bad, these are fun little cars. I just put a vertical android display in and I was just looking around to see if anyone had done this job. I haven't done the camera yet and I was wondering what a good way to run the wires would be. I haven't really looked yet.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you mean routing the cam cable to the rear, the best way is to pull up the door sill covers and route it to the rear alongside the Body Harness. If you're mounting the cam inside the back hatch or on the rear window, you'll probably need to remove the cargo room trim on whichever side you route it. Generally that lets you sneak underneath the corner of the headliner without dropping it much.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”