2008 Qx56 Wont Start When its Cold Out

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Gokeeper
Car: 2008 Infiniti QX56

I have a 2008 QX56 sitting at the dealer, It all the sudden would crank but wouldn't start for my wife. Each time i tried it it started fine, we determined it started fine when the temperature was above 35 but will just crank and not start when the temp drops, battery is new 12.8 volts sitting and 9.6 while cranking. Dealer cleaned grounds as directed by Nissan, told us to come pickup and when we arrive it wont start on Saterday, we leave it call this morning and they say it started fine, and wont us to come get it. This seams like an IPDM issue to me but they disagree because its a 2008 and they only had problems with earlier years. We are planning a trip next week and if this wont start I don't want to pick it up.

Dealer Claimed Computers wernt communicating due to electrical corrosion when questioned they really didnt see any corrosion.

Socaldiablo
Car: 2004 Infiniti QX56 - Black on Willow
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Black on Black
2006 Ducati ST3
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r

The symptoms don't sound like an IPDM problem to me. Very odd that it does this near or below freezing but that should be the best clue for the service guys. Sounds like the dealership is clueless (go figure). Can you try another dealer to see if they are any sharper? If not, elevate the problem to Nissan NA. This is unaccetpable to have a truck that cost as much as these do with a problem the supposed 'experts' cannot even figure out. Good luck.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Sorry to hear the issues, I would consult another if possible. Certainly not a common issue. Even if you try to contact Nissan/Infiniti NA, they will direct you to your dealer.

ALR
Car: 2008 Infiniti QX56

I know this post is from years ago, but I figured I would try asking. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? My Infiniti is having the same issue this winter and we can't figure out what is wrong with it.

It tries to start in the morning and sounds like it cranks normal but doesn't have enough energy to start. We have to jump it every morning and it starts right up. When I am at work I have to go out every couple of hours so I don't get stranded at work at the end of the day. We were thinking it was the battery but it doesn't seem to be since we have tried three, and taking it out and putting it in the house at night. The auto parts checked the alternator and the starter and say those are good. Does any one have any idea what may be going on?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

ALR wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:01 pm
I know this post is from years ago, but I figured I would try asking. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? My Infiniti is having the same issue this winter and we can't figure out what is wrong with it.

It tries to start in the morning and sounds like it cranks normal but doesn't have enough energy to start. We have to jump it every morning and it starts right up. When I am at work I have to go out every couple of hours so I don't get stranded at work at the end of the day. We were thinking it was the battery but it doesn't seem to be since we have tried three, and taking it out and putting it in the house at night. The auto parts checked the alternator and the starter and say those are good. Does any one have any idea what may be going on?
Welcome to NICO! As you've already posted your question in this thread, there was no need to create two new threads, so I've deleted them. Here's a possible solution to your problem...
kerrton wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:48 pm
Hi raygold, I'm very sorry to hear about your problems with your Rogue, I've been there and know how disappointing this is.

It could be a number of things, it sounds like your starter is good and battery if you can hear the starter turning over at the normal high speed. It's either not getting fuel or spark. My first guess would be bad fuel pump. If this is the case you'll have to have it towed to the shop, your Rogue will have free roadside service so at least this won't cost you anything.

I'd recommend calling the Nissan roadside assistance number Monday morning, tell them you're stranded and the car won't start, they'll dispatch a tow truck and deliver your Rogue to the dealer for free where they'll likely find the problem quickly.
You should read the full thread 2011 Rogue wont start! as it does contain further useful info.

IronChariots
Car: Infiniti QX56 2008

Although, this post may be outdated I just thought I would share what I went through with my QX56 2008 in hopes it may help someone avoid the same trouble shooting problems that I went through: 

The problem started 2 years ago SUV wouldn’t start/turn over when it gets cold here in Southern California around 49-54 degrees but would work perfectly fine up until November-December 

- First time I took it to the Infiniti dealership told me it was a bad battery – had it replace seem to be fine

- Cold months came rolling around the following year started having a weak to no start, took it back to the dealership paid for the diagnostics they told me they couldn’t figure it out – so I decided to just keep it in the garage when it was cold

- Eventually decide to go back to the dealership told me that the positive terminal needed to be replace – I felt they were just shooting in the dark for a solution. 

What I finally ended up doing was purchasing a spray can of Valvoline Extra Strength Cold Starting Fluid on a whim at my local auto parts store and the engine fires up perfectly fine when its cold out and I haven’t had any issues.  Trust me I went through every online fix out there from changing the battery on each fob to unlock re-locking the doors fuses etc.  

Duzer
Car: ???

I know this post is almost a year old, but did you fine root cause? I’m having the same problem, difficulty starting or no start. Cranks fine but won’t fire.

Where were you spraying the starter fluid? The only way I see is removing the black engine cover, is there an easier entry to spray?

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”