2008 Nisan Versa SL Not Getting Gas

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
judybugtoo
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

I sure hope someone can help me. The other night I took my friend home and before I got home my gas light came on this is the very first time I have ever let it get low on gas. . I have only had the car about 5 months no problems and has ran good. So the next evening Saturday I get in it it starts right up I back out and put in drive and it goes a little ways and poof it only will go about 5 or 10 miles an hour. gas pedal goes to the floor without doing anything. So I thought oh no I have ran out of gas I go 5 miles an hr to make it to the gas station across the street get gas thinking this will do it get in it and it runs ok so I go to the grocery store come out start it up and pull out on the street and it does it again gas pedal goes to the floor will not work Engine light was not on at this time.. So I made it home. My friend said it sounded like the Mas so the next day Sunday he came over and unplugged something under the hood but that was not it so it isn't the mas,So I told him let me show you what it does exactly I get in it and when I start it in park the gas pedal works and it works when I am in reverse but as soon as I put in in drive no gas pedal. Now the check engine light is on. What can it be please anyone>> I just want to mention just in case this has anything to do with it cause up to Friday night my car was running fine. Friday night the gas light was on when I drove home 2. I accidentally ran over a possum and I could not park under the carports at my apt Friday when I got home like I usually do so my car sat all day Saturday in the hot sun up until about 4pm and this is when I started having the trouble. So could me hitting the possum have done anything. Could me letting my car run on empty or could of something happen letting it sit all day in the 90 degree Texas weather. I have been looking at a lot of you tube video's and it seemed it could be a lot of things I just thought maybe someone here may of had the same problem Oh it has around 129,000 miles. :gotme I am 66 years old so go slow. lol :ohno:

EdBwoy

Hello Judy,

I first read your posting a little too late at night on an otherwise fun weekend, but finally got around to it. Please pardon the delay.

First, it will be very important to get that code that came with the engine light read to tell exactly what the computer is pointing to. Autozone/ OReilly's will do it for free usually but some people usually keep a code reader handy. Maybe your friend has one.

This is mere speculation, but I doubt the fuel light in itself was that bad. Most cars I have driven have enough reserve for another 30 or so miles after the light comes on. The possum might have interfered with some crucial wires on its way out. (RIP)
For example, in the cars I deal with, the crankshaft position sensor is under the car, but from pictures I found online, this sensor and its wire seem to be well protected in the Versa. Anyway, if this sensor is bad, it will usually limit engine performance by limiting the fuel pump.
Not as badly as you describe, but most times people reverse at lower engine speeds than they drive forward, so that's when it's noticeable.You say it just falls flat when in "Drive" regardless of engine RPM, right?

Anyway, please keep us updated and we'll help to the best of our collective abilities.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”