2008 M35 X muffler/resonator delete

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Jooonam08
Car: '08 Infiniti M35 AWD w/ advanced tech pkg

Hello Infiniti family, I just needed some simple advice I was thinking of doing a muffler and resonator delete but I wanted to replace them with the cherry bomb muffler and vibrant bottle resonator.. I don't want my car obnoxiously loud, just wanna have that nice deep sound that stays constant even under hard acceleration.. Is that the right combo or what would you advice... Any helpful input is greatly appreciated.. Keep in mind cherry bomb muffler, vibrant bottle resonator.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I do not think I've seen or heard of that combo on an M before unfortunately.

Jooonam08

Ilya wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:24 am
I do not think I've seen or heard of that combo on an M before unfortunately.
I've seen and heard it on a Q70 5.6 V8 and it sounded great but you already know the firing order of the V8 is different from the V6, I just needed some advice on the best way to achieve the best sound from the V6 it doesn't have to include both the cherry bomb muffler and the vibrant bottle resonator.. It could be be any way or any brand someone has tried and achieved great results

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

My exhaust has vibrant glasspack resonators. They sound good, but if you want a deeper sound I would replace the stock ones with the 5" diameter, 2.5" I/O, and 18" length. The fatter size will and longer length will filter more high frequencies and give a deeper sound. This is mostly tied to length, as the length is directly proportional to frequency, but the extra diameter will also help those sound waves move further out and cancel even more.

Cherry Bomb is an interesting choice, Im not sure it would be mine but everyone is different so if that is the sound you want then go for it. I don't think it will be *too* loud. Two glasspacks is an interesting choice, and it will definitely keep things deep.
I dont think you will ever really be able to get rid of all the high frequency sound at the top of of RPMs, as that is simply physics. A low RPM exhaut sound has a low number of gas pulses and spaced far apart, a high RPM engine makes the exhaust higher pitched because it is putting out pulses at a faster speed and they stack closer together. You will never get rid of it completely in a real-world vehicle.

edit: ill try and get a sound clip of my exhaust later today or tomorrow if you want. I have the Vibrant resonators (4" diameter) an x pipe, high flow cats, and Jones turbine mufflers, with the whole system upsized to 2.5". The sound is nice, but upsizing the whole system to 2.5" does make it louder and you get some drone around 2000-3000 rpms.

Jooonam08

Thanks for the reply, I would really appreciate a sound clip and maybe if you able to take some pictures of your set up and if you remember the parts number that would be great.. I was thinking the vibrant resonators, am not sure yet if I wanna keep the mufflers on or get some magnaflow or I can decide on the Jones turbine mufflers. How much did the high flow cats cost and what brand, I know the M got two cats and do you think going H-pipe instead of X will affect the way it sounds

Jooonam08

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:30 am
My exhaust has vibrant glasspack resonators. They sound good, but if you want a deeper sound I would replace the stock ones with the 5" diameter, 2.5" I/O, and 18" length. The fatter size will and longer length will filter more high frequencies and give a deeper sound. This is mostly tied to length, as the length is directly proportional to frequency, but the extra diameter will also help those sound waves move further out and cancel even more.

Cherry Bomb is an interesting choice, Im not sure it would be mine but everyone is different so if that is the sound you want then go for it. I don't think it will be *too* loud. Two glasspacks is an interesting choice, and it will definitely keep things deep.
I dont think you will ever really be able to get rid of all the high frequency sound at the top of of RPMs, as that is simply physics. A low RPM exhaut sound has a low number of gas pulses and spaced far apart, a high RPM engine makes the exhaust higher pitched because it is putting out pulses at a faster speed and they stack closer together. You will never get rid of it completely in a real-world vehicle.

edit: ill try and get a sound clip of my exhaust later today or tomorrow if you want. I have the Vibrant resonators (4" diameter) an x pipe, high flow cats, and Jones turbine mufflers, with the whole system upsized to 2.5". The sound is nice, but upsizing the whole system to 2.5" does make it louder and you get some drone around 2000-3000 rpms.
Thanks for the reply, I would really appreciate a sound clip and maybe if you able to take some pictures of your set up and if you remember the parts number that would be great.. I was thinking the vibrant resonators, am not sure yet if I wanna keep the mufflers on or get some magnaflow or I can decide on the Jones turbine mufflers. How much did the high flow cats cost and what brand, I know the M got two cats and do you think going H-pipe instead of X will affect the way it sounds

EniGmA1987

I should be able to get a sound clip of the exhaust tomorrow for you. In the meantime, here are pics of the exhaust. Dont mind the Flowmaster resonators in the middle of these pics, I actually have it so I can swap between the flowmaster and Vibrant as they are different types and I wanted to be able to hear the sound difference. These pics are just when I happened to have the Flowmasters up there. You can see in the pic where I laid it all out and spaced everything to the proper dimensions that I do have the Vibrant resonators in there.

Exhaust_Overview.jpg
2.25" starting from the catalytic converters (that is stock exhaust dimensions).
Goes through a bend and then to some flex pipe (flex isnt really needed but is good to have to help take a little tension off).
Then into a double helix crossover, made from two X pipes. One is a 2.25" X, and the second is a 2.5" X. They were welded together and make the transition in pipe size right there.
Out to two Vibrant or Flowmaster resonators. The vibrant glasspacks are 4" diameter round and the Flowmaster laminar flow are 5" square.
Then it just makes its way into the two Jones turbine mufflers and out the tips.
If you look in the exhaust tips on the pic of the back of the car you can see the inside of the mufflers a bit and some of the circular baffle that is inside. You can read about how a turbine muffler works here:
https://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Sh ... a%20header.
I also have V-band clamps in various locations so I can take the exhaust out in 3 pieces like the stock exhaust. That way I can swap things and also do work on the car without the exhaust being in the way if I need to.

Exhaust_Front.jpg
Exhaust_mid.jpg
Exhaust_Back.jpg
Exhaust_BackBack.jpg
Those are 2.5" single inlet to dual 3.5" outlet tips I got off Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072YR7QKK/

Jooonam08

Thank you so much nephew, that was so detailed and the pictures resolution is great, am awaiting the sound clips which will make it easier for me to make my decision, your set up looks clean,. I was thinking of of v-clamps instead of welding just in case I have to put my mufflers back for the emissions,.. Am based in Atlanta.. And just one more question, what do test pipes do, I see a lot on G35 and 37

Jooonam08

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:46 pm
I should be able to get a sound clip of the exhaust tomorrow for you. In the meantime, here are pics of the exhaust. Dont mind the Flowmaster resonators in the middle of these pics, I actually have it so I can swap between the flowmaster and Vibrant as they are different types and I wanted to be able to hear the sound difference. These pics are just when I happened to have the Flowmasters up there. You can see in the pic where I laid it all out and spaced everything to the proper dimensions that I do have the Vibrant resonators in there.

Exhaust_Overview.jpg

2.25" starting from the catalytic converters (that is stock exhaust dimensions).
Goes through a bend and then to some flex pipe (flex isnt really needed but is good to have to help take a little tension off).
Then into a double helix crossover, made from two X pipes. One is a 2.25" X, and the second is a 2.5" X. They were welded together and make the transition in pipe size right there.
Out to two Vibrant or Flowmaster resonators. The vibrant glasspacks are 4" diameter round and the Flowmaster laminar flow are 5" square.
Then it just makes its way into the two Jones turbine mufflers and out the tips.
If you look in the exhaust tips on the pic of the back of the car you can see the inside of the mufflers a bit and some of the circular baffle that is inside. You can read about how a turbine muffler works here:
https://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Sh ... a%20header.
I also have V-band clamps in various locations so I can take the exhaust out in 3 pieces like the stock exhaust. That way I can swap things and also do work on the car without the exhaust being in the way if I need to.

Exhaust_Front.jpg

Exhaust_mid.jpg

Exhaust_Back.jpg

Exhaust_BackBack.jpg

Those are 2.5" single inlet to dual 3.5" outlet tips I got off Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072YR7QKK/
Thank you so much nephew, that was so detailed and the pictures resolution is great, am awaiting the sound clips which will make it easier for me to make my decision, your set up looks clean,. I was thinking of of v-clamps instead of welding just in case I have to put my mufflers back for the emissions,.. Am based in Atlanta.. And just one more question, what do test pipes do, I see a lot on G35 and 37

EniGmA1987

Ya sorry, its just been raining a ton here plus the holidays so I havent been able to get my recording equipment out to the driveway

Jooonam08

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:24 pm
Ya sorry, its just been raining a ton here plus the holidays so I havent been able to get my recording equipment out to the driveway
It's OK no problem, whenever you get a chance

EniGmA1987

Here are two audio clips of the exhaust. I recorded it with two separate mics cause I wanted to see which of them turned out closer to accurate. I feel like neither of them truly captured it the best. The first link has much more nuance and fidelity, but loses a little of the lower frequencies a bit. The second link has more accurate lower frequencies, but sounds farther away and loses a lot of the nuance and fidelity. It sounds almost low resolution. lol.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14eKqF3 ... share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZMH8e9 ... share_link

Jooonam08

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:55 pm
Here are two audio clips of the exhaust. I recorded it with two separate mics cause I wanted to see which of them turned out closer to accurate. I feel like neither of them truly captured it the best. The first link has much more nuance and fidelity, but loses a little of the lower frequencies a bit. The second link has more accurate lower frequencies, but sounds farther away and loses a lot of the nuance and fidelity. It sounds almost low resolution. lol.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14eKqF3 ... share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZMH8e9 ... share_link
Really appreciate you taking the time to record, I must say they sound great, maybe a lil bit on the high pitch side under full throttle but like you said could be coz of the mics... Is this set up with the magnaflows or the vibrant resonators.. My aim is to achieve that deep sound even under heavy throttle...without the rasp, Almost like Nissan GT-R

EniGmA1987

Those are with the vibrant glasspack resonators and Jones turbine mufflers.

GT-R I believe goes straight to a single 3" pipe as soon as it gets under the car and then just has pair of glasspack resonators at the back right? I don't think it has any real mufflers. Most of the sound canceling happens because of the single pipe it uses, so all exhaust pulses are merged and help smooth out the sound and mellow it out.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”