2008 M35 Power Steering Leak

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
mnathan
Car: Infiniti 2008 M35

Hello, I recently had an alternator fire and im replacing a connector which i mentioned in a previous post. I think I've got an handle on the whole alternator issue but the root of that failure was a power steering leak, and I'd like to learn more and fix it myself. Currently fluid is leaking from some kind of apparatus that protrudes from the pump itself. I will include photos and an excellent MS paint diagram. I have no experience or knowledge of this system of my car or how to use hose clamps etc. Im certain of where the leak is but not which part has failed or how to repair it. :inoutgay:
Attachments
power3.png
PUMP1.jpg
This is the under side view, pointing at the connector bolt combo

EdBwoy

The object you're pointing at is the power steering pressure sensor switch.

Now, I'm not familiar with the V6 layout, but the unidentified bolt would likely be a banjo bolt. You can read more about banjo bolts (they have holes drilled in them), but essentially they do a double duty of fastening as well as allowing fluid to flow to a different part of the system (for example the hardline).

The leak is either due to the "L" housing cracking, or the copper washers that seal the flat surfaces being compromised - both rather unlikely. Not impossible though.

PS. The pictures definitely help. All the best as you jump into this world of discovery.

mnathan

EdBwoy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:59 pm
The object you're pointing at is the power steering pressure sensor switch.

Now, I'm not familiar with the V6 layout, but the unidentified bolt would likely be a banjo bolt. You can read more about banjo bolts (they have holes drilled in them), but essentially they do a double duty of fastening as well as allowing fluid to flow to a different part of the system (for example the hardline).

The leak is either due to the "L" housing cracking, or the copper washers that seal the flat surfaces being compromised - both rather unlikely. Not impossible though.

PS. The pictures definitely help. All the best as you jump into this world of discovery.
Thanks, that explanation really helps! I honestly couldn't imagine how a hard piece of metal like that housing could've cracked, and i hope that's not the case. The leak seems to emit from behind that sensor connector, as there is a large bolt there, like above 20mm. The whole setup appears to be mounted directly to the pump which I am really not to keen on buying another of. My only idea right now is to try to loosen the bolt with the connector coming off the bottom of it. I would hope that this drains all the fluid, and perhaps i can find some damage to the setup. I'm not really sure how ill loosen it though, as i don't own any sockets that big. I could use a caliper to see, but im pretty sure a socket would be too shallow. I don't think ill loosen the banjo bolt, because i won't know how much to torque it back to, and if it needs some kind of coat on it.

EdBwoy

I use Teflon tape with those sensors. So it could be another of those unlikely scenarios but it can be fixed rather easily.

I can't remember the size, but I think I have used a deep socket for mine...or an adjustable wrench. I don't think think I have any ratcheting wrenches that large.

mnathan

EdBwoy wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:31 am
I use Teflon tape with those sensors. So it could be another of those unlikely scenarios but it can be fixed rather easily.

I can't remember the size, but I think I have used a deep socket for mine...or an adjustable wrench. I don't think think I have any ratcheting wrenches that large.
Do i just give a once over of teflon tape over the sensor? Im about to try to remove it somehow, although ive never heard of an adjustable wrench. Once i remove it should i expect to see some kind of coating on the threads? If it were to be missing would that indicate a leak?

mnathan

I just removed the sensor. It broke in the process, just the plastic though. When i removed it the cluster of wires (alternator wire/sensor wire/another i don't know the purpose of) and the wires spewed quite a bit of fluid. Upon removing the bolt the entire reservoir drained out. Ill buy another sensor but i cant prove that caused the leak.
Attachments
20200626_192523.jpg
Another perspective with the oil filter being a good reference point
20200626_192459.jpg
Another general view.
20200626_192351.jpg
The red drip is where the sensor was removed. Lots of leaked fluid on the right
20200626_192300.jpg
another view
20200626_192251.jpg
View of snapped and removed sensor. No leak point visible. It is interesting that where i snapped the connector there is no fluid on the inside, but the outside is coated

mnathan

This is pretty confusing. Not even sure if its a power steering leak at this point.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”