2007 Versa Steering locks

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Versa-Dad
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

My daughter has a 2007 Versa and recently starting having issues with the steering locking while she is driving. I have test driven the car and couldn't reproduce the issue. I thought it was just her, but after searching the web I discovered that many other owners have experienced the same issue. We just had the car serviced at a dealer for stalling and they replaced a faulty brake assembly switch which ended up costing her $307. She probably didn't make it clear to them that the steering and stalling didn't happen at the same time so they must have attributed the steering issue with the stalling. I am hesitant to take it back to the dealer because of the cost unless it is absolutely necessary. She is a student and needs her car for work and doesn't have a lot to spend. I am not letting her drive the car until we can figure this out. Does anyone have a similar problem and resolution? I would appreciate any suggestions.

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

I agree with you that this is a serious issue. You might try searching this forum for the correct service manual for your particular year and model to see if you might find any suggestions there. Other than that, you might be stuck going back to the dealer as OEM parts are preferable for such an important component as steering.

Versa-Dad
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Well we did take the car to the dealer and they replaced some brake switch that they said was defective. It was "tricking" the car into thinking it was braking?!?! (Their words not mine). Now my daughter tells me that the car is stalling out. The engine revs and tach reaches about 6000 rpm (without the car accelerating) and car stalls and steering locks (I now believe that the steering was not actually locking previously, just that when car stalled, steering was difficult her her, being as tiny as she is). It has been at the mechanics (not dealer) for 2 weeks and they could not duplicate the issue. I'm thinking it may be a CVT issue. I am hesitant to take it to dealer. Mechanic had it for 2 weeks and did not charge me a cent. Dealer will charge diagnostic fee just to take it in. I think it may be time for a different car, preferably NOT a Nissan!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If the revving is happening in drive with the car underway then there's a good chance you're right about the CVT. That can cause stalling as well if the torque converter is locking up when it shouldn't. However, they weren't lying about brake switches (and water in the taillamps affecting the brake lamp circuit like a bad switch or shorted reverse lamp). The TCM (trans controller) watches the brake circuit and won't let the car accelerate if it thinks the brake is pressed when it isn't, or if it thinks the reverse lamps are on while the car is going forward. Those can be responsible for a lot of weird CVT issues and "mystery" P0715 codes.

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

I would take the car back to the Nisan dealer. If it does turn out to be the transmission, it could be under warranty as there is a big recall for the CVT transmission.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you call a dealership with your VIN number and mileage, they should be able to run a Service Com and tell you over the phone whether it's still covered by any applicable warranties. Visiting them shouldn't be necessary.

2016 Versa
Car: 2016 Nissan Versa SV

2019Versafan wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:18 pm
I would take the car back to the Nisan dealer. If it does turn out to be the transmission, it could be under warranty as there is a big recall for the CVT transmission.
Some earlier model Versa's had an extended warranty from 5/60-10/120 I'm not sure what all models it included
but by now the extended warranty would be out on a 2007 regardless of age or mileage. The last extended warranty went from 5/60-7/84 and included newer models.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

2016 Versa wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:23 pm
2019Versafan wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:18 pm
Some earlier model Versa's had an extended warranty from 5/60-10/120 I'm not sure what all models it included
but by now the extended warranty would be out on a 2007 regardless of age or mileage. The last extended warranty went from 5/60-7/84 and included newer models.
You are correct, the extended CVT warranty for a 2007 Versa ended in 2017.
WARRANTY EXTENSION
The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

xeoto

I agree with you that this is a serious issue. You might try searching this forum for the correct service manual for your particular year and model *REDACTED* to see if you might find any suggestions there. Other than that, you might be stuck going back to the dealer as OEM parts are preferable for such an important component as steering.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun May 23, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Delete Spam Links

Return to “Versa General Chat”