2007 MO Base to Aftermarket Stereo w/99-7612b

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
hurlingzeros32
Car: '07 Murano S AWD

Maybe I am s*** at searching for info but I went in with 0 wiring/electronic experience or knowledge and couldn't find any threads with a step by step informational on how to install an aftermarket for someone like myself who is always super duper terrified of messing up(call me stupid if ya want but I was pretty lost and guessed how to do it from universal car stereo install videos and threads) and yes I realize it's probably because the kit is already so easy to install but I figure maybe this might be helpful to at least 1 person--feel free to give me any constructive advice or criticism but no need to be a d!ck here okay.

Never posted anything before so hopefully I didn't pull a rookie move anywhere in here

So I installed a JVC KW-V40BT at home with some everyday tools (exept the Wire Stripper/Crimper which I went and bought) and some butt connectors + ring terminal for a ground.

Quick Guide of What You'll Need for a NON BOSE Stereo System:
Materials n Things:
- Metra 99-7612a (aluminum) or 99-7612b (matte black) Dash Kit
- 70-7550 Wire Harness (Metra)
(- Maybe the 40-NI11 Antenna Adapter?)
- A Steering Wheel Control Interface if you want your steering wheel controls to work (Metra Axxess Metra ASWC-1 should work)
- Aftermarket Stereo (any should fit but more info on that later*1)
- Butt Connectors
- Ring Terminal (to ground[aka power] your stereo)
Tools:
- Wire Strippers (you can use scissors or pliers if you're careful enough but you definitely need a crimper anyway so just buy a 2 in 1)
(- Wire Crimpers)
- Pliers/Wrench (to unplug the negative terminal of the car battery before starting to disassemble the dash)
- A thin butter knife or panel removal tool
- Screwdriver: I only had to use a phillips head
- a safe place to put all the screws you'll be unscrewing

I don't think I've forgotten anything but chime in if I did.

So I ordered the 99-7612b Metra kit from Amazon, also ordered the 70-7551 Amp Intergration and the 40-NI11 Antenna Adapter; didn't know I didn't need the 70-7551 and still don't know if I should've used the 40-NI11 but I havent-- realised I needed and then bought the 70=7550 Wire Harness from Future Shop.

Realised I needed butt connectors, wire crimper/strippers, and a ring terminal so I bought them at Canadian Tire & Home Depot.

Sat down, opened the manual to look at the wire diagram for the aftermarket stereo, stripped all the wires on that, stripped all the wires on the 70-7550, and crimped the butt connectors onto all the wires on the 70-7550. (How to stripping and crimping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8p4GBz ... F6&index=4)

Took a while of looking before I figured out that each wire on the 70-7550 has what they're for inked onto them (left rear positive, right front negative etc) so you basically just match up the wires with the same description on the 70-7550 Harness and either the harness from the stereo or the wires sticking out from the stereo, and you stick em together via butt connectors and crimping.

When that was all done I brought everything into the car, detached the negative car battery terminal and then began and finished everything in one (very long) sitting.
I used this video for more visual on how to disassemble the car dash: (skip to 00:35) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0qzXltm0Gs
disassembled the car dash, unscrewed and unplugged everything the way the man in the video did and then followed the instruction booklet that came with the kit on detaching the inner plate of the factory dash and trimming the outer plate and then screwing everything together.

The things I haven't done are grounding or relaying the Parking Brake wire to play Video on the stereo and installing the Steering Wheel Control interface.

I do have a slight concern/question though: I had one (I think it was a 12-pin, I could be wrong,) harness coming from the car that is left over and I don't know what it's for so if anyone could tell me that I would be very grateful.

Excuse the fingerprints and scratched up factory screen

*1 The one I have in was a little too wide and slightly too short height-wise so the tabs on the kit didn't line up with the tab openings on the sides of the stereo but I worked the width out fine by, before attaching the side brackets, pushing the tabs on the kit slightly inwards so it would go around the sides of the stereo to fit it flush in the front. The height honestly looks fine and it keeps my mind at ease with the screen opens out to uncover the dvd slot

Return to “Murano Forum”