2007 m35x - fob programming

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Tobiascolins
Car: 2007 Infiniti m35x

So I decided to buy an OEM fob from someone on eBay...(I know...) Went to have the local Nissan dealership program it. They said he was unable to make it work but in the process also made it so my current fob that has worked just fine, stop functioning as well. So now I've lost all button function, keyless entry, everything. Very annoying. They explained the programming process to me and said that that happens sometimes. They also said that my BCM may be bad or the antennas may be bad. Has anyone ever had to deal with this? Everything was fine before I took it to them. I guess I just don't understand how an issue with the BCM can suddenly just pop up at that moment.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There are a couple of situations that can make the BCM unable to program, namely a bad center antenna or a shifter detente switch stuck in the pressed position, but if the car still starts with the key in the doghouse then the programming took and something else is wrong. On a lot of the early I-keys the fob button functions had to be "educated" separately from the NATS/NVIS stuff, so they might not have done all the procedures necessary. Stuff from that era also doesn't necessarily program right using Consult3+, so you might want to try to find a dealer that still has a working Consult2. That stuff is all cross-compatible with Nissan, so you're not stuck strictly with an Infiniti dealer. There are also lots of locksmiths who can program early-mid '00's with no problems.

Tobiascolins

Hmm ok. Maybe I'll try another local Nissan dealer. I just don't have a good feeling about the "master mechanic" she said worked on it. She said he had to 2alk away a few time. I guess he got frustrated. I realize that these must be finicky but I went in with a working fob and left being forced to insert it into the port to start the car and the fob I purchased for $100 is useless apparently. I'll see if someone else wants to tackle it. I'm willing to replace an antenna or BCM if need be but I just feel like it's such a coincidence that it happened at the same time. I don't know. I probably don't understand fully but I'll see if someone can get a handle on it. Thanks.

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

Since the car starts without a remote function your BCM is perfectly normal. The remote functions are controlled by the Intelligent Key Unit and the Remote Keyless entry receiver. Your antennas are good since you don't have a selective function. So I'd say the problem lies between the I-Key unit and remote receiver. But then there are the provisos that the keyfob battery is good and that the the Nissan guy had not gone to delete the remote functions with the programing tool in his desperation. This of course can be reversed. In later models, the BCM controls both the remote and starting functions and so only just a single programming procedure is required to achieve both functions. In the M, however, the starting and remote functions require separate procedures. I'd suggest you visit a locksmith, there are now good programming tools that do these things with remarkable ease.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Costee wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:58 am
Since the car starts without a remote function your BCM is perfectly normal. The remote functions are controlled by the Intelligent Key Unit and the Remote Keyless entry receiver. Your antennas are good since you don't have a selective function. So I'd say the problem lies between the I-Key unit and remote receiver. But then there are the provisos that the keyfob battery is good and that the the Nissan guy had not gone to delete the remote functions with the programing tool in his desperation. This of course can be reversed. In later models, the BCM controls both the remote and starting functions and so only just a single programming procedure is required to achieve both functions. In the M, however, the starting and remote functions require separate procedures. I'd suggest you visit a locksmith, there are now good programming tools that do these things with remarkable ease.
+1, very well explained. :dblthumb:

Tobiascolins

Ok thanks for that input. I'll try to find a local locksmith and see if they have experience with this.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Tobiascolins wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:06 pm
So I decided to buy an OEM fob from someone on eBay...(I know...) Went to have the local Nissan dealership program it. They said he was unable to make it work but in the process also made it so my current fob that has worked just fine, stop functioning as well. So now I've lost all button function, keyless entry, everything. Very annoying. They explained the programming process to me and said that that happens sometimes. They also said that my BCM may be bad or the antennas may be bad. Has anyone ever had to deal with this? Everything was fine before I took it to them. I guess I just don't understand how an issue with the BCM can suddenly just pop up at that moment.
I went through a key issue recently so Ill tell you what I found during that whole process and with help from VStar650CL

Buying keys off ebay is not a good idea for 2 reasons:
1) you have to match the key model or radio frequency or whatever to your specific car. If you don't get the right one, it will never work.
2) for some reason if a key is programmed to another vehicle already it doesnt seem to ever accept new programming to your car. This may be a security feature or something but basically it makes them useless if it is not a brand new key that has never been programmed.
That 2nd part *might* not be fully true, but I found that info in multiple places when searching around while I had my key problem. So you should really just bite the bullet and pay the exorbitant cost Infiniti charges for a new key rather than take the risk on it.

Next up, when the key programming process starts, it erases all stored keys. You must have all keys with you to be programmed because any original key will be deleted from the cars memory and have to be re-added. This works even though the original key was already programmed because the key's memory is already matched to your car's data or whatever.

So what happened to make your old key stop working was they started the process, the new key failed, but because the process was started the old key was removed from the car memory. When the dealer gave up on your car, they *should have* done the process just one more time with only using your original key to get its functionality restored even if they couldnt do the new key.
As VStar said, the Consult 3 sometimes has issues with our cars being made for a Consult 2. The dealer that did my reprogramming had to bring a Consult 2 out to do it, they spent an hour with a Consult 3 and never got it to work.

Lastly, since your key works while being in the key port, they did actually do some of the programming. Otherwise your car wouldnt start at all. It is a multi-step process that first must register the key, which they did, and then they must register the remote functions. So because they failed to program the remote functions, that is why your key can no longer do the door unlock/lock and why it doesnt register with the antenna in the car for the pushbutton. It is this remote programming stuff that seems to have to be done on a Consult 2. A C3 and aftermarket software is all able to do the security program 1st step part, but not move on to the 2nd step.
I would recommend a dealer for this, and I know you just had a bad experience at one. But from my own experience trying to go the cheap route with a mobile locksmith, they just dont have the software and know how to do the 2nd step with the remote programming, only the 1st step security programming. So my advice is try to find a dealer with a Consult 2 and ask if they have done key fob reprogramming on older Infiniti's before.
Last edited by EniGmA1987 on Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tobiascolins

Ok good info. Thanks. I'll try another local dealer and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll have to drive 2 hours to an Infiniti dealer...ugh. All this just to have an extra fob.

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

Tobiascolins

That's quite the process. Hopefully I can find someone who can do this.

MM...Good
Car: 2006 M35x - totaled :(
2007 M35X - Rein"car"nated!! Premium, Advanced Tech, Journey and Aero Package
2013 G37 Convertible - SOLD.
1993 Miata - Zoom Zoom
1999 Honda Shadow Aero 1100

For what its worth, I got a replacement fob for my 2007 online from https://northcoastkeyless.com. It was about $100 and included a blank valet key. I got it programmed at an infiniti dealer for about $80. I've left the valet blank as I never use it.

Tobiascolins

Ok, good to know. Is it an OEM fob or aftermarket? Infiniti told me like $385 for a fob and program. Definitely pricier buying directly from them.

MM...Good
Car: 2006 M35x - totaled :(
2007 M35X - Rein"car"nated!! Premium, Advanced Tech, Journey and Aero Package
2013 G37 Convertible - SOLD.
1993 Miata - Zoom Zoom
1999 Honda Shadow Aero 1100

It's OEM. The one I got was used but in excellent condition. They have new ones listed for $130. Just make sure you order the one with the matching FCC code. When you pull out the valet key, the FCC code number will be listed on the FOB housing. It will be either CWTWBU618 or CWTWBU735. You'll need a magnifying glass to read it but its there. My 2007 M used the one ending in 618. My guess is the fob you got isn't the correct code. Also, most locksmiths don't have the ability to get them synced to your car - the dealer, even the Nissan guy, should be able to get the correctly coded fob to work.

Tobiascolins

I did match up the correct FCC id number and the "master mechanic" at Nissan couldn't make it work and in the process lost the programming for my original fob that if been using for a couple years. So aggrevating.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Tobiascolins wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:42 pm
I did match up the correct FCC id number and the "master mechanic" at Nissan couldn't make it work and in the process lost the programming for my original fob that if been using for a couple years. So aggrevating.
On a lot of the early I-key cars, you have to program all the old keys first and then any new ones. If you do new first, all the old ones become unusable. I bet that's where he screwed up.

Tobiascolins

Yep probably.

Alffie
Car: 2010 M35

I've been having problems with mine for a couple wks now. At first I noticed the lock button wasnt working and then the lock/unlock button on the door didnt work either. Eventually I had to put the fob into the slot for the car to start. Replaced the battery and it still wasnt working. Saw a vid on YouTube, guy said to hold down the lock button the fob and press on the start button with with fob 3x, then wait 10 sec and then repeat the first step. After a few tries it worked. Next morning it stopped working. Did the procedure again and it worked for the moment and stopped by night. Got frustrated and bang the fob on the counter. Pressed the lock button and I heard the horn beeped. Seems like when I smack it wit would work. Dont know if it has a shorting or just going bad.

Tobiascolins

Ok then...lol

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Alffie wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:24 pm
Pressed the lock button and I heard the horn beeped. Seems like when I smack it wit would work.
Sounds like maybe a cold or broken solder joint on the fob circuit board. If you're handy with solder and have a fine-point iron, try retouching all the joints.

Alffie
Car: 2010 M35

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:14 pm
Alffie wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:24 pm
Pressed the lock button and I heard the horn beeped. Seems like when I smack it wit would work.
Sounds like maybe a cold or broken solder joint on the fob circuit board. If you're handy with solder and have a fine-point iron, try retouching all the joints.
Ok cool. Will look into it, hopefully that's it.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”