2007 M35x burning metal smell

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Brewcity1
Car: 2011 Infiniti FX35 AWD stock

Good morning to you all,

I am the new owner of a 2007 M35x. Its an exceptionally clean car with 1 owner, and regular maintenance at Infiniti its whole life. I picked it up yesterday, and drove home (on the highway at 70 mph for 15 minutes or so), and pulled into the garage. Upon exiting the car, I could smell what I can only describe as a burning metal smell.
It wasn't oil or coolant or rubber...it was like when you get a new exhaust...and the hot pipes cause that smell for about three days until it all burns off...that's kind of what it smelled like. Its my best description.
I didn't inspect anything (stupid), due to me being in a rush, so dismissed it.
Today, I only drove about 5 miles into work, and didn't get the car above 50 mph...and I didn't smell a thing.

Can anyone please help me pinpoint what the heck that smell could have been associated with? I have heard maybe a frozen caliper? But the car never seemed like it wanted to brake when I let off the gas pedal.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!! I look forward to hearing from all you experts! :dblthumb:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I would definitely take a look at your brakes...perhaps one of the slider pins is indeed seized which isn't letting your caliper really do its job or the piston inside the caliper has seized up which isn't doing the same. More than likely, the rotor with that caliper is gauged and rough looking. Get really close to the wheel and you should definitely be able to smell that same smell.

Brewcity1

Ilya wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:09 am
I would definitely take a look at your brakes...perhaps one of the slider pins is indeed seized which isn't letting your caliper really do its job or the piston inside the caliper has seized up which isn't doing the same. More than likely, the rotor with that caliper is gauged and rough looking. Get really close to the wheel and you should definitely be able to smell that same smell.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help. Do you advise that I take it on the highway first, or just drive it home, and park it in the garage, and take a look at all 4 wheels?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

You could start just by looking at your rotors...if one is more gauged then the others, that's probably your culprit.

Brewcity1

Ilya wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm
You could start just by looking at your rotors...if one is more gauged then the others, that's probably your culprit.
Perfect....thanks. I did find out the rear brakes were done before I picked up my car...so this could be the culprit. I will report back my findings.

Thanks again!! :dblthumb:

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Welcome to Nico!
Sounds like a great car despite the smell issue ! :)

Brewcity1

PalmerWMD wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:13 pm
Welcome to Nico!
Sounds like a great car despite the smell issue ! :)
Thank you...I am gonna love it here. TONS of useful info, and great users!
It is a great car, and runs amazing! It was well looked after, and only has 95,000 miles.
So I hope to have her for awhile.

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

I had a similar smell it was a bag stuck to the exhaust under the car (hard to see I was freaking out). It was hard to get off but keep in mind some objects will cause smell when heated, especially near or on the exhaust.

Brewcity1

CarGuy87 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 am
I had a similar smell it was a bag stuck to the exhaust under the car (hard to see I was freaking out). It was hard to get off but keep in mind some objects will cause smell when heated, especially near or on the exhaust.
Thank you for the reply and insight. I never thought to check that.
I will look this evening when I check my rotors.

midnightclub619
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

CarGuy87 wrote:

Yes!! This happened to me! From time to time the smell is more prominent from day to day. Some plastic trash bag was flying around the road that I couldn't avoid because of other cars on my left and right side so I had to run over it. Then immediately I started to smell a burning smell. I pulled over as fast as i could and had to pull off the plastic bag that began to melt on my mid pipe. I saw the stupid leftover melted bag each time I go under my car haha. It sucks to have that smell but I know the smell now which is easily identifiable.

Brewcity1

midnightclub619 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:18 pm
CarGuy87 wrote:

Yes!! This happened to me! From time to time the smell is more prominent from day to day. Some plastic trash bag was flying around the road that I couldn't avoid because of other cars on my left and right side so I had to run over it. Then immediately I started to smell a burning smell. I pulled over as fast as i could and had to pull off the plastic bag that began to melt on my mid pipe. I saw the stupid leftover melted bag each time I go under my car haha. It sucks to have that smell but I know the smell now which is easily identifiable.
WOW...thanks for the reply! I guess I never thought of this. I hope that is what it turns out to be!
I will report back.
Thanks again everyone!!

Brewcity1

Hey all....sorry for the delay in posting back.
So...the smell is gone for the most part. There is a small distinctive smell of burning metal if I drive for a long time, but it is not as bad as before. As well...I took it into Infiniti to have them do a multi point inspection ( was done for the cost of an oil change, which I needed anyway), and they found nothing wrong with the car in any way. Said it was in great shape for the age. Whew!

So...still not entirely sure what the smell is, or what caused it. Noting stuck to the exhaust or anything either.
Thank you ALL for trying to help me with this...it is greatly appreciated. :dblthumb:

bluedevil30
Car: 2009 M35X
265,000 miles

There is an issue with the brake lines failing and causing calipers to seize.

That smell may be the beginning of this problem.

Brewcity1

bluedevil30 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:10 am
There is an issue with the brake lines failing and causing calipers to seize.

That smell may be the beginning of this problem.
Wow...never knew this for our M’s...how can I check this?

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”