2007 Infiniti M35x interior noise - re-visited

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Wey
Car: Infiniti M35x 2007

Those who don't mind the interior noise stated that the engine roar is part of what made M35/M45 so much fun to drive (like a BMW), which I agree. Some blamed the noise on the OEM tires, and others blamed it on the high engine rev.

Most of the time I don't mind the noise, but sometimes (when I listen to Eagles unplugged DVD), I wish my M35x is quieter. If the car has good soundproofing, I'll still have the option to leave my windows down when I want to hear the engine roar.

I wonder what have people tried to get a quieter ride on their Ms?1) change tires?2) change exhaust?3) engine mod?4) soundproofing coatings? 5) window tinting (does this help?)6) noise cancelling sound system?7) others?

WeyM35x 2007 platinum/black/wood/Premium

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

what kind of noise is it?? Do you think its tire related, meaning it changes as road surface changes?

Wey

elwesso wrote:what kind of noise is it?? Do you think its tire related, meaning it changes as road surface changes?
I am referring to the engine sound. (road sound is another matter, but less annoying). When the car is picking up speed, the RPM goes up, and the engine sound is fairly loud compared to my old Acura. It sounded like the engine noise in one of those non-luxury cars (example: Honda civic) in which there is little soundproofing; but yet, the M is fairly quiet when cruising at a constant speed. So I think it is not related to the tires or road surface.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Hmm, thats interesting... Im not sure if theres really any way to make it quieter, besides not being on the gas so much???

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Wey wrote:1) change tires?
This can definitely help, although the effect will be relatively small, depending on the highway and road conditions. High-performance tires are usually not as quiet on the highway as "Grand Touring" tires. However, the tire performance on Grand Touring tires will be definitely worse, and I am not sure the trade-off is worth it, IMHO.
Wey wrote:2) change exhaust?
Hmmm. Most changes to the exhaust are likely to increase the noise, since they are usually done to get more flow and higher power. But, who knows ... there might be some after-market solution that is quieter (I'd be surprised).
Wey wrote:3) engine mod?
No idea.
Wey wrote:4) soundproofing coatings?
Yes. There are sound absorbing panels available that might help. These could be installed inside the door panels and maybe even on the firewall (although I am not sure of that!) and help reduce sound levels quite a bit. Not too expensive and may do what you need!
Wey wrote:5) window tinting (does this help?)
Nope. Too thin to make any real difference!
Wey wrote:6) noise cancelling sound system?
Ah! Now that may be the best solution, but more expensive than you might want, since I doubt that there is an existing solution for the M. You might have to get a custom solution and that will take bigger bucks (than I would want to spend on it certainly).
Wey wrote:7) others?
How about: crank the volume up on the audio a lot? Sure drowns out everything else for me!

Z

Wey

szhosain wrote:Ah! Now that may be the best solution, but more expensive than you might want, since I doubt that there is an existing solution for the M. You might have to get a custom solution and that will take bigger bucks (than I would want to spend on it certainly).Z
Does anyone have experience with the following products? Are there any others?Queit Car http://www.quietcoat.com/html/....htmlB-Quiet http://www.b-quiet.com/index.html

Wey

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Wey wrote:Does anyone have experience with the following products? Are there any others?Queit Car http://www.quietcoat.com/html/....htmlB-Quiet http://www.b-quiet.com/index.html
Sure look interesting. One of the B-Quiet products is intended for engine compartment use. I have no idea how well they work, but they do seem worth looking into ...

The product I have heard of is Dynamat. It is intended for inside door panels and the like. The B-Quiet comparison seems to make it look like a better product, though.

FWIW, I have no personal experience with any of these products. If you try them out, please give us a review! Thanks,

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”