2007 G35x Crazy Engine rattle

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
dsimpson
Car: 2007 G35x

Hi all.. i have this weird problem with my G35x. Car runs great and drives fine but when I have light throttle and about 1600RPM the car starts to make this crazy rattle from the engine. Sounds like Timing chain or something. No engine lights and under load the noise goes away. Only have 124Kms on the car. No other issues.

It is not heat shield, catalytic converter.. checked those already.

ca18det_boy

+1 on timing chain rattle. Mine has been doing the rattle for the last 50k miles. I'm overdue for an overhaul :(

midnightclub619
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

dsimpson wrote:Hi all.. i have this weird problem with my G35x. Car runs great and drives fine but when I have light throttle and about 1600RPM the car starts to make this crazy rattle from the engine. Sounds like Timing chain or something. No engine lights and under load the noise goes away. Only have 124Kms on the car. No other issues.

It is not heat shield, catalytic converter.. checked those already.

I might be having the same issue as you are, however, I'm hearing the rattle around the catalytic converter (left driver side bank). How exactly did you confirm it wasn't the CC?

mxquattro

My 09 G37Xs has a crazy rattle too but runs like a top. About 100K ago they diagnosed it as catalytic converter. I hear it mostly at idle, and bringing it up to 12-1300 rpm makes it go away so Im pretty convinced they diagnosed it right.

midnightclub619

mxquattro wrote:My 09 G37Xs has a crazy rattle too but runs like a top. About 100K ago they diagnosed it as catalytic converter. I hear it mostly at idle, and bringing it up to 12-1300 rpm makes it go away so Im pretty convinced they diagnosed it right.
I just recently fixed this. I had to purchaser a stethoscope so I took the stethoscope to the Transfer case, Transmission & left catalytic converter and all sounded smooth and no rattle/knock....however, when I put it up to the right catalytic converter I could hear it clear as day. I finally got around to taking out the right catalytic converter 2 weeks ago and the honeycomb inside actually broke from its frame and was moving back and forth and in turn rattling inside the CAT. the sound resonated down there so it was difficult to pinpoint the issue exactly without the stethoscope. but once I used it to determine the exact location of rattle, the issue was the CAT. I purchased a pair from ebay off a 07 G35 and haven't had any issues since. I did the whole replacement myself and took about 2 hours from start to finish.

Mandll
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S sedan

Hi. I have a similar sounding issue rear of engine. How exactly does one use a stethoscope to listen to the transmission? I can put it up on jack stands and listen to the cats with engine running but wouldn’t want to put it in drive to listen to the transmission. Is there some other way to do it? Thanks

midnightclub619

Mandll wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:04 pm
Hi. I have a similar sounding issue rear of engine. How exactly does one use a stethoscope to listen to the transmission? I can put it up on jack stands and listen to the cats with engine running but wouldn’t want to put it in drive to listen to the transmission. Is there some other way to do it? Thanks
right. I was only able to listen to the transmission when idle. I never put it in gear to listen to the transmission. For the cats, I would have someone push on the gas pedal while idle and I was able to determine where exactly the rattle was coming from.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”