2007 CVT transmission fluid flush?????

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
diesel266
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano with 124,000 miles as of Feb. 2014

Ok, so I'm new to this site. My wife and I bought a 2007 Nissan Murano in 2008 used with 30,000 miles. We so far love this car and as of Feb. 15 it has 124,000 on it. My question is, we are planning a trip and I was planning on taking the car to get a oil change and get the Tranny fluid changed (which I always tried to do in my other cars every 100,000 miles). I did some searches on line and saw that there have been a some issues with the transmissions in there cars. So it kind of scared me. I thought that the car was well made enough to make it to 200,000 miles, but now I'm very worried. I called the dealership to see if they could check out the tranny for any issues under the new warranty (nissan has extended the tranny warranty to 10 yrs, 120,000 miles) and I was told that we were 4,000 miles over the warranty (total bullsh*t) I asked about changing the fluid and the guy told me that since we haven't changed it yet, that its best that we don't even touch it. Just run it the way it is. This makes no sense to me. I thought changing the fluid would be good for it. He said that since we never did it according to the service plan (every 30,000 miles) that we missed our chance and its best to just let it go. Any info on this would be great. Also, are the CVT transmissions any good. Will they last or are they just junk??? So far the car runs great, but I so scared about the possibility of the transmission breaking. Since there are now gear on gear, is there less chance of the transmission going bad and the fluid isn't as important as it is in a normal transmission. Please help. Very much in need of some schooling on this stuff...

Shed93
Car: Ford five hundred 2005

I have a Ford Five Hundred (2005) with the CVT and have had no problems with it, we were advised to change the fluid about every 60,000 miles. My car has 248,000 miles on it and my transmission just now went out on me. One word of advice my dad and husband gave was to always let the car warm up long enough for the rpm's to drop down to 1000. I am assuming that all the manufacturers have the same CVT tranny? Ford used the Volkswagon tranny according to my salesman. Good luck with your car, I now have to find me a new car :(

rstolz
Car: '13 Nissan Quest
'08 Nissan Versa
'84 VW Rabbit GTI w/1.8T drivetrain swap

A fluid flush is never a bad idea.

I wouldn't be overly worried about your trans though. When they fail, it's not just all of a sudden, they go out slowly, getting worse over time until it becomes unbearable to the owner. If you have no symptoms now, you're in good shape. generally issues occur with years' worth of stop and go, when the trans is working hardest, swinging all over the ratios; highway miles are very very easy on a CVT.

you coan look up how CVT's are put together, but there are still moving parts and friction in the case, and fluid is still important.

And honestly if your over the mileage for the warranty, you're over the mileage, there's nothing to be upset over.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

diesel266 wrote:Ok, so I'm new to this site. My wife and I bought a 2007 Nissan Murano in 2008 used with 30,000 miles. We so far love this car and as of Feb. 15 it has 124,000 on it. My question is, we are planning a trip and I was planning on taking the car to get a oil change and get the Tranny fluid changed (which I always tried to do in my other cars every 100,000 miles). I did some searches on line and saw that there have been a some issues with the transmissions in there cars. So it kind of scared me. I thought that the car was well made enough to make it to 200,000 miles, but now I'm very worried. I called the dealership to see if they could check out the tranny for any issues under the new warranty (nissan has extended the tranny warranty to 10 yrs, 120,000 miles) and I was told that we were 4,000 miles over the warranty (total bullsh*t) I asked about changing the fluid and the guy told me that since we haven't changed it yet, that its best that we don't even touch it. Just run it the way it is. This makes no sense to me. I thought changing the fluid would be good for it. He said that since we never did it according to the service plan (every 30,000 miles) that we missed our chance and its best to just let it go. Any info on this would be great. Also, are the CVT transmissions any good. Will they last or are they just junk??? So far the car runs great, but I so scared about the possibility of the transmission breaking. Since there are now gear on gear, is there less chance of the transmission going bad and the fluid isn't as important as it is in a normal transmission. Please help. Very much in need of some schooling on this stuff...
The dealer probably isn't bs'ing you. Believe me they will say whatever they can to get you to bring your car in for service.
As a Mod on another one of the forums said, parts wear and become smooth; if you change that "dirty" fluid now there may not be much for the gears to "grab" onto. Basically that dirty fluid is keeping it going.
There are many stories of people getting high mileage transmissions flushed and it kills the transmission. Your dealer is protecting themselves from that happening if they flush it.
You could just try a drain and refill as that will take out about half the fluid. Make sure you use only Nissan CVT fluid. You could do this yourself, just google it and you will find videos/ guides.
CVT's are not like old transmissions, they need to be taken care of very well.

Also, you are 4K over the extended warranty so even if you were under 120K, they would not of looked at it for free or changed the fluid for free. If there was a problem with the CVT and they looked at it and found an issue then they would replace it for free.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

The CVT isn't flushed...the fluid is simply changed. Depending on the number of miles you have on your CVT. The dealership may only partially drain your vehicle's CVT fluid to mitigate the chances of damaging (slippage) your CVT. CVT fluid is also meant to be a "life long" fluid thatnever require changing with normal driving. However, the dealership can determine a vehicles CVT fluid degradation by using the consult device to determine if a complete or partial fluid change is necessary. :yesnod

Return to “Murano Forum”