2006 was totaled, in the Market for A New Altima. Seeking Advice Pre-purchase.

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
altima2025

Hi All,

Brand New to the forums. First post. I like the site and it's wealth of information.

I owned a 2006 Nissan Altima S. It was a great car as far as reliability. No major repairs that I can remember. Unfortunately, it was totaled when someone hit me. I haven't recovered from the injuries, as the car was spun around in the opposite direction into the median :frown: :/.

*So, I am in the market for a Used car. Based on the reliability and good MPG I got from that 2006 Altima, I am strongly considering going with a later model. I am a college student and work PT retail, so I have some limitations. Ideally I am looking for something no earlier than a 2012 model with definitely less than 80k miles, clean title and good condition.

I have been searching for weeks, as well as parents have been looking around.

Base on you guys wealth of experience, is there any year models I should avoid, or any that are great.

Looking for:
-Reliability
-Well maintained
-Safe
-Good MPG
-Non-Smoking car
-Depending on price and features, a decent stereo with backup camera.

Some things I was reading about were the new Transmissions, I have read about the brake, hood latch, etc recalls. Anyone experience those.

All that said. Do you guys have any advice on purchasing a used vehicle, whether the VPP is worth it?, things to watch for, and the Good/not so good year models between 2011-2016?

Thank You in advance!!!

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Unless you know someone personally selling a vehicle in excellent condition, visit a couple of Nissan dealers. They have vehicles coming off lease all the time with all the service history. The dealers only keep the best vehicles and the rest go to auction. You will probably pay a little more but a local dealer might very well view you as a future new car customer and treat you well.

Take your time and rent if necessary for a month or so until you find one that meets your needs

Good luck

Telcoman

altima2025

Thanks for the heads up. I only have about $8,000, can't get a loan because I am injured and can only work a few hours a week, am a college student, and family won't loan the money because they can't. We have been looking on Craigslist...eek. Maybe there are some good ones on there, I hope....... Our city's public transit is unreliable and a 4 mile walk, and I don't have any friends that I could get a ride from. Sorry for the frustration. What am I getting myself into looking for an Altima at an absolute maximum $10,500 - and negotiate it down?

I wore my seatbelt. Seriously, pray you don't get in a wreck or your car is totaled. Wear your seatbelt.

Any other buying advice?

altima2025

telcoman wrote:Unless you know someone personally selling a vehicle in excellent condition, visit a couple of Nissan dealers. They have vehicles coming off lease all the time with all the service history. The dealers only keep the best vehicles and the rest go to auction. You will probably pay a little more but a local dealer might very well view you as a future new car customer and treat you well.

Take your time and rent if necessary for a month or so until you find one that meets your needs

Good luck

Telcoman

It took 6 months, but it was worth it. Bought a 2012 Altima 2.5 S at a Nissan Dealership - no accidents, no damage, very good Carfax record. After sifting through the "Clean" Carfax records (what the independent sellers told me) - turns out that "Clean" has a different meaning to different people. Glad I avoided the multiple wreck disabled vehicle ones!) :rolleyes:

Seriously, thanks. I am glad I bought it from a dealership - and I kid you not the day I bought it they began offering a new free warranty that covers above and beyond what a PowerTrain does. I was really impressed.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”