2006 QX56 Brakes Locking

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
06qx56
Car: 2006 Infiniti QX56

Hello everyone! This is my first post here.

I've searched the web about my brakes locking issue on my 2006 QX56 but have not found a definitive solution. I'm hoping to come closer to a solution on this site.

The last couple of years, my 2006 Infiniti QX56 has had the locking brake issue happen more often and sporadically. Because of this, the truck mostly sits in the garage and I drive it only if I absolutely have to (which is rare) and I keep my fingers crossed hoping that the brakes don't act up. The brakes lock at slow speeds (fortunately); for example, when or as I'm slowing down to pull into a parking space or after I've pulled out of my drive way. To "unlock" the brakes, I'd have to shift the truck in Park (after which there'd be a pop and the truck would jump forward) and turn the ignition off then on again. I recently used the truck on a short trip and luckily no brake lock; but, I still don't trust it !!

The most promising solution that I read about was from an owner of a same year model Armada. A simple replacement of the Power Brake Booster Check Valve appeared to do the trick for him/her. I will definitely try this replacement and report back.

In the meantime, I'd greatly appreciate some input from owners who have experienced a similar brake locking issue and what was done to resolve it.

Thank you, in advance!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Wow that's crazy and quite dangerous. I've actually never heard of that happening before.
Welcome to NICO.
If its happening often enough for you to be able to test it in a safe location, we can probably get it figured out. Have you tried disengaging ABS/pulling the ABS fuse?
I don't quite understand how the booster check valve could cause this issue to be honest.

06qx56
Car: 2006 Infiniti QX56

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:13 pm
Wow that's crazy and quite dangerous. I've actually never heard of that happening before.
Welcome to NICO.
If its happening often enough for you to be able to test it in a safe location, we can probably get it figured out. Have you tried disengaging ABS/pulling the ABS fuse?
I don't quite understand how the booster check valve could cause this issue to be honest.
Thanks for the welcome and the response! I will have to find a safe area to try and recreate it as you suggested and try disengaging the ABS.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Awesome. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Also, I doubt your problem is outlined in the factory service manual, but it might be worth taking a look in there.
https://www.nicoclub.com/infiniti-service-manuals

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”