2006 Maxima auto trans issue

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
markxtech
Car: 2006 Maxima

I have a low mileage 2006 Maxima that developed an auto trans issue. I left the house and drove less than 1 mile when the tach dropped down to about 1100 rpm and the vehicle lost speed. As I increased the throttle, it would not respond and stayed at 1100. As the vehicle coasted I was able to turn around and return home. The car still would not accelerate unless under full throttle. Coasted into the driveway. When I put it in park or neutral, the engine idles and accelerates fine. When put back in drive or reverse the trans will not engage and only idles or full throttle. Anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks Mark
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

possibly bad torque converter, could be a number of things actually

markxtech
Car: 2006 Maxima

Thank you for the reply. I did not mention I am a retired Nissan Master Tech. Spent 14 years at Nissan Dealerships. So basics issues have already been addressed this issue.
Maybe I am not being clear enough. The Engine never died at any point. No matter where I pressed the pedal towards the floor It would not accel. the rpms and stayed at 1100 RPM. The exception is when pedal is floored the car will move like a bat out of hell. Actually spooked the hell out of me.
The engine now seems to be in a fail safe mode. In Park/Nue the engine accels through the RPM Bans and Idles perfectly. Once placed in drive or reverse, the engine will idle all day long. Pushing the accelerator does nothing until I am at full throttle. The only thing keeping it to red line, Is the fuel cut circuit.
Under this condition The Warning lights never appeared as if nothing happened. Does it sound more like the throttle control at the pedal switch or throttle motor?

cferraris
Car: 2006 Nissan Maxima SE

Any luck with the trans issue?? I've got a Max with over 200K on it and I'm expecting trans issues to start rearing their head..

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”