2006 M45 won't start

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
gtrplyr
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

Started my 2006 M45 today, got on the road and all lights on the dash turned on and I felt it jerking as it shifted gears and I lost power steering. Pulled it in and parked it.

Now, when I insert the key fob, depress the brake (it does not depress easily), and push the start button, nothing happens. It does not change to ACC, the dash does not turn on, absolutely nothing.

The interior lights work, the start button lights up...but nothing else.

I swapped the battery in the fob, no change.
Checked the voltage on the car battery - 12.35 volts (battery is about 3 months old)
Tried a different fob (from my other Nissan) to see if it would tell me it was the wrong key...nothing

I recently had a camshaft sensor go bad and swapped it...no issues since then. Would a camshaft sensor cause this issue?

Seems electrical...but the interior lights and headlights work...so I know there is power from the battery.

Any ideas?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Check your fusible links, sounds like one of the main ones blew.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

You said it won't change to "acc" but do the light around the pushbutton work at all? Even the one saying "lock" and the light behind the main button itself?
And can you use the remote to lock and unlock the doors remotely still?

gtrplyr

The fob never worked to lock/unlock the doors. Bought the car used about 10 years ago and never bothered to get a new fob (I only have one). So, I can't really test that functionality.

When I insert the fob into the port, the push button does light up as well as the "LOCK" indicator. But, pushing the button does nothing.
When I remove the fob from the port, the light next to it will blink.
I noticed that when I open the door with the fob inserted in the port, I do not hear the "dinging" sound.
The alarm light is working (blinking red)
Interior dome lights work.
Brake lights work
Headlights DO NOT work

gtrplyr

In an interesting turn of events, I disconnected the battery last night. Connected it again this morning and the car started up just fine.
Code reader is not pulling any codes....yet...I'll drive it a bit to see if anything pops up.
Still a bit concerning, though.

gtrplyr

UPDATE: Car won't start again.

When I inserted the fob, I saw the display to press the brake, etc.. but when I did, nothing started.
Then, the display briefly said "Key ID: NO"

Now, its back to doing nothing.

If it were a blown fuse or fusible link, I would think it wouldnt have been able to start back up. So, maybe something to do with the fob reader?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Check all your battery connections, something isn't making contact. That "No Key" message is a smoking gun, the BCM isn't getting enough juice to operate. Voltage drop will be your best tool, you'll see a large change in voltage wherever the problem spot is. I.e., put one lead on the battery post and the other on the lug, if you see a big voltage and not millivolts then that's your problem. If there's no drop from the post to the lug, go from the lug to the cable, etc until you find the problem spot. Drop works the same for both power and ground, just trace along the cables.

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

I'd say the I-Key module is failing. An ordinary code reader won't detect that. The I-key module is located to the left of the driverside footwell. It's sometimes damaged by water.
That apart, if the remote functions of your fob do operate, it could be that the keyless entry remote receiver has gone bad. A long shot is that these functions might have been deactivated by Nissan's Consult tool before the car came into your hands. A bad I-Key module could also cause the malfunction.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”