2006 M45 Tech Package. Is this reasonably priced?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
EdBwoy

I had this car listed recently and wanted to get feedback on it.
Mainly, is this a reasonable asking price for the car as it is? Especially considering it has a younger engine with maintenance/tune up already done.

Mileage on body. 153,000 miles
Mileage on engine. JDM import, so maybe 60,000 as they say*
Location. Zip code 62221. Half an hour east of St. Louis, MO
Price. $6,000 obo
Contact. [email protected]

EdBwoy

EdBwoy

This is the info I posted on Craigslist.

Powerful V8 engine, transmission shifts smoothly.
153,000 or so miles on the body, the engine is much younger than that. See details at the bottom
Nice bourbon leather interior, or what they sometimes call basketball color.
No check engine light or any other form of overdue maintenance.
The body is good, and the interior is decent too.

I have kept up with oil changes as well as other fluids. Infiniti oil filters & synthetic oil
Recently we went through the entire suspension and replaced whatever was worn, then we got an alignment. Everything is tight, but the car might need tires soon.
Good heat, good AC

Features:
Push button start
Rear view camera
Navigation with front DVD player
Flip down TV screen mounted on the roof
RCA inputs to play music through AUX
BOSE surround sound with speakers in the seat shoulders
Lane departure warning
Tire pressure monitoring system

The single most noticeable change to the car is the exhaust. It has a little more grunt, but is not obnoxiously loud.

Contact me with any questions you may have about the car. Email is the best way to reach me.

Newer engine with all the proper preventive maintenance:
New spark plugs
New valve cover gaskets
New crankshaft seals
New PCV valves
New vacuum hoses
New intake and exhaust gaskets
New pulleys & belts
Pretty much all the mileage services that could cost well over $1,000 have already been handled.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I live at the bottom of Florida so cars sell for slightly more here given that a Florida car has never been subjected to cold temps, snow. ice, , road salt, huge potholes, etc.
I think $6,000 is approaching the high side for that many miles. BUT ... the person who buys your car will get something most buyers won't get: a car that is up to date on all maintenance, a young engine replaced by someone who did it properly, and a V8 that has not been tortured at the track, and top tech features rare in 2006 cars. Plus, it has bourbon leather (rare) and the rear seat theater system with surround sound. You didn't mention it, but it appears to be accident free, and has a clear title (no flood, salvage, etc). There is an 06 M45 with 142k miles, no NAV, and it is at a dealer for $5,950 - will likely sell for less. Yours is better equipped, has lower engine miles, and the bourbon interior/black exterior which most people find most attractive.
I would price it exactly where you did, and possibly let it go at about $5,500.

EdBwoy

Thanks for your insight Larz.

The asking price is indeed negotiable. It's not like I even charge a premium or guru fee on the few cars I sell - I could have sold the car cheaper after replacing the engine, but decided to address a few other issues that bothered me. Maybe that was a mistake, but I figured since I get so many questions on these cars, I had an above-basic understanding of what needed to be done.
Worded differently: "You could buy my car ready to go at $6,000; or buy a different one for $5,000 then spend $3,000 trying to fix issues or asking me how to fix your new car."

I once had it on eBay but will probably put it up again (on auction this time). As I exit the M45 world, I am very prepared to lose a few 100 bucks to get my space at home. I have another project on the way soon.

crimson45
Car: M45 Sport

I think that's a really good price. I basically have the same car with about 165k on it and considering the KBB price, I was going to list it for $5,000 obo. Just be fully aware that people are gonna use the V8 engine vs gas price argument to get you to lower the price lol. But then again gas mileage should be the least of your concerns if you wanna buy a car like this.

SCB926M45
Car: 2007 m45 sport twilight blue

The service history will bring people in. The 2md motor will turn some away. Leave at 6, and take 5. If it were in VA id but it. Good luck.

EdBwoy

Thanks guys. I've dropped my asking price a smidge then relisted it on ebay with a best offer option as well as on CarGurus. I hope that will get more eyes on it and we can negotiate various details like splitting transportation costs etc.

Yeah, you're right. I noticed that a few potential buyers were scared of the fact that the original engine had gotten damaged. I suppose I see the world differently.

EdBwoy

Update - It eventually sold.

For the curious minds, it went for $5,000, and I lost a little money in the sale; but that's the price of focusing on the big picture. No point being rigid on the price and having an expensive hunk of metal sitting in my backyard for months on end by refusing to budge on a few hundred bucks.
Of course, there is a limit and I politely declined the few $3,000 offers that I got.

Again, it's the "other stuff" that I wanted to address that cost me more - suspension issues, cracked rear bumper, lights etc. If it had been a swap-engine-only job, I'd have still made a profit at this selling price. However, I don't like selling junk, so I'll take a loss to preserve my reputation.

Was it a total loss? No.
In the long run (again, big BIG picture) the knowledge I gleaned from this project is always there to stay... And the YouTube videos I made with this project might make me a few Dollars down the line.
I also got ideas and started prototyping some replacement parts that seemed to be in demand for all models (RWD, AWD, v6, v8) and could sell rather fast, but I'm a little gun shy on that now.
For now I'll chalk it up to reading the market incorrectly, and I have decided to never try to sell an M45 again. I'll also have to halt my projects on making VK45DE performance parts and upgrades.

Best Regards my friends.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”