EdBwoy wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:27 am
A few pointers for you:
1. The starter of the 06 M45 is indeed on the left side, driver side in the US
2. The radiator cooling fan should not run all the time.
Check with a dealer if your vehicle qualifies for the recall and have the module replaces for free. Otherwise, it's approx 50 bucks online.
3. A brand new battery of the proper specs can indeed be faulty out of the box - not dead, but just goofy enough that the car sometimes trips out. I wouldn't eliminate this as a potential cause, unless replacement batteries do the same thing.
What is the rating on this battery you have?
4. Here is a link that might help you with fuse locations: major-fuses-relays-and-modules-and-thei ... 21712.html
Thanks for reply and info/pointers
Ref pointer 1. I think it's pax according to several references - all this extra plastic for presentation sure makes it hard to visualize things. If I'm wrong please correct me.
2. Rad fan doesn't run all the time it only would strangely come on when system was cold and the click instead of crank was encountered.
This might be normal for software I just don't know - I didn't make repeated observations on this but after turning off AC system I heard a blower and checked under hood to find the fan at high speed which I thought was strange. I did all recalls not long ago that were open (airbag etc and 1 or 2 other). Thanks for info on that potential recall issue I'll investigate further.
3. Yes you're definitely right on the battery potentially being bad however there isn't indication of this as I explained in the first post. I will volt test just for the sake of it. I do not have a load tester however. When I get past the click issue it cranks up with enthusiasm and quickly I cannot overemphasize this - there is no hesitancy in the starter motor save the 1x i thought it sounded a little off out of dozens of starts. Also with regards to all the posts on weird battery issues I had a fairly older battery in the car previously and it's reserve capacity was clearly going downhill - if you used accessories for a few minutes (10 or 15) it would be too weak to crank the car etc but otherwise started the car fine (unless you ran it down even in the slightest..if you went to start immediately w/o using any accessories or lights etc it was good to go after last drive)
I believe the battery to be good but will check voltages just out curiosity. Also when that old battery was weak I think I got clicking not this single click. I could be wrong on that but I'm pretty sure it was clicking in repetition. This click is left drivers side or drivers dash..or near firewall somewhere around there
I'm still focusing mainly on something like a relay sticking/not fully engaging (esp. with the sound that appears to be on the drivers side assuming starter is on pax side bottom..sound is top drivers side front of drivers seat so far as i can tell) or solenoid ... open to any other input or way to know definitively if there is one. Anyone know precisely where this relay might be located?
Thanks again to everyone