2006 M45 - P1140/P1145 issue

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
gtrplyr
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

2006 M45

I was getting a P1145 code with the check engine light on.
Changed the oil last week and cleared the code.
Went through the drive cycle and the light and code came back.
So, I swapped the Bank 1 and 2 camshaft sensors and the code switched to P1140, which tells me the sensor was definitely the issue because the code followed it.

Today, I replaced both camshaft sensors. Drove the car for a few miles in town hoping the check engine light would turn off on its own. When I hooked up my OBDII reader, it is now pulling P1140 AND P1145.

So the question is...Is this normal? Have I not driven the car enough with the new sensors installed? Should I clear the codes and go through the whole drive cycle again to see if they still come back? Hard to believe both the new sensors are bad.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Did you replace the camshaft sensors with new OEM ones? Sensors should always be new OEM, 3rd party sensors can have different voltage curves and/or resistance that throw off readings in the ECU and make it get a trouble code.

gtrplyr

They are not OEM. Please don't tell me I just wasted $130 on these things lol.

macgiver

Give it time , clear codes & drive a few times and see - good luck .

gtrplyr

Yeah I think I will clear it and go through the drive cycle again to get all the monitors to complete again and see where that leaves me.

EdBwoy

First off, I would like to congratulate you for taking the time to swap the sensors to troubleshoot the issue and isolate the sensor as the issue.

I think you received the answer you need, even if it's not the one you want to hear, when Enigma pointed out that an OEM sensor would serve you best.

Yes, the OEM sensor might cost double what you paid for each of your aftermarket sensors, but you could have solved the problem if you spent the $130 to replace the one sensor that was an issue and left the good sensor alone.

gtrplyr

Thanks, EdBwoy. Your videos were helpful as well.

I still have the old sensors, so I can put them back in. While I wait for an OEM sensor to arrive, do you think it is worth it at all to clear the codes and drive the car to see if the third party sensors do, in fact, work? Or is that a lost cause at this point? I only ask because I have only driven it maybe 3 miles (non-highway) since installing the new ones. I'd hate to buy an OEM sensor and throw these away when all I needed to do was drive it a bit.

FYI the aftermarket sensors were Dorman Camshaft Position Sensor 907-739

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

I would stick the old OEM ones back in, clear codes, and then see if only the one original code comes back. When(if?) it does, replace the good sensor (not showing a code) with the 3rd party one, and see if it then generates a code. That way you will know for sure it is the new sensor making the codes and not the wiring to the sensors being iffy.

EdBwoy

What is the seller's policy on returned electronics, especially if they don't work in the application they were advertised for?
Even if they won't accept the return, I wouldn't necessarily throw them away. You can hold onto them, but clearly mark them and have a note as to why they aren't to be used.

No, I do not think it is worth it to clear codes and hope for the best. In fact, I do not encourage anyone to clear trouble diagnostic codes while still troubleshooting issues. That's burning evidence.

As soon as you install the correct sensor, the code will usually go away when the engine is ran.

How much time do you have, and where are you located? I have a bunch of used-but-verified-functional VTC sensors that I hold onto from the numerous engine projects I've had.

Alffie
Car: 2010 M35

Hey EdBwoy, can you tell me what the culprit could be for a p0705 code? The service engine soon light came on 3 days ago. I have 2010 m35 base.

gtrplyr

Update: This is resolved.

So, after I put in the replacement sensors and got both P1140 and P1145 codes, I took them back out and put the original sensors back. I expected to only see one code like I initially did. But the 2 codes never went away. I drove for probably 50 miles. I also couldnt get my Oxygen monitor to set, even after running through the drive cycle repeatedly.

I ended up clearing the codes and driving for a bit. After a few miles, only the P1145 came back. This was good, as I was hoping only one code would come back. Since I hadnt cleared the codes when I put the replacement sensors in the first time, I thought I'd give it another try. I replaced the bad sensor with one of the replacements, cleared the codes, and drove for a bit. Sure enough, all my monitors set (including Oxygen) and no more code. Immediately got a SMOG test and passed.

So, the non-OEM part wasn't bad. I just needed to clear the codes first. That being said, in the future I will just buy an OEM sensor to rule out the possibility of a junk third party sensor.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”