2006 M45 Key Fob stopped working after Dealer programming

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
edcontracts
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

I only had 1 key fob for my 2006 M45 and decided to buy a cheap Chinese back-up. Whenever I took it to the local Nissan dealer to program ( Infiniti dealer is 50 miles away ), something went wrong when Nissan tried to program the new one. I expected that this could occur, but in addition, they somehow broke the only key fob I had.

The original key-fob I have wouldn't work anymore unless it was inserted into the key holder. The unlock buttons and trunk opener stopped working and I needed to use the valet key to lock and unlock the car and then push the key-fob into the insert area before the dash light would turn on and allow me to start the car. This is obviously a huge inconvenience. I then bought a new genuine key-fob from Infiniti instead of eBay this time and then went back to the same Nissan dealership, but they couldn't get the new Infiniti key-fob to work either and i am stuck with only the “1” original and still having to use the valet key to unlock and insert the fob before i can start it. None of the wireless features work at all. Nissan sent me home and told me to come back whenever I can leave the car all day. I've been researching this and it looks as though it may be a malfunction of the intelligent key unit (285E1-EH10C), being now unable to recognize signals from the remote unit (remote keyless entry receiver:28595-EH100). Do you think this is the issue?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

This is tough without knowing exactly what "went wrong" in the original process. Since the remote I-Key functions were working before they tried to program the new fob, I very much doubt the I-Key Unit went south just because someone tried to program it. The first thing you should do is go through every fuse in the fuse box with a test light, but if they're good, there are a few "kinks" that can occur in programming on older I-Key vehicles. One is that the center antenna under the console must work or the programming process won't complete. Even though there are other antennas in the car, the system won't use them for programming, it will only use the center one. They should run an antenna diag on the car to find out. The I-Key Unit won't throw codes for a bad antenna until a diag is executed, there's a specific procedure for it in BCM Work Support. Secondly, the order in which keys are registered matters on some of the older models. To be safe, old keys must be re-registered first and then new keys added, otherwise older keys can become unusable. Since your oldest key still starts the car, I don't think that's your problem here. Lastly, BCM's and IKU's are known to occasionally get "stuck" in key-programming mode because of a key that won't read. Your China key may have an issue that caused the system to hang. Try disconnecting your battery negative for 10 seconds, then put the new Infiniti key in the doghouse after reconnecting and press the start button, see if you get 5 flashes from the security lamp. If so, put your "good" key in and repeat the procedure, it should un-hang and both keys should begin working.

L5211
Car: 2006 M45 Sport Diamond Graphite, Journey & Tech pkgs

This is exactly how my key fob acted ( only work inserted, wouldn’t open doors or trunk) when batteries plus inserted the battery upside down.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

L5211 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:59 pm
This is exactly how my key fob acted ( only work inserted, wouldn’t open doors or trunk) when batteries plus inserted the battery upside down.
Oh, yah, definitely check that! Sounds silly but it isn't, people do it all the time. :cool:

edcontracts
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:58 am
This is tough without knowing exactly what "went wrong" in the original process. Since the remote I-Key functions were working before they tried to program the new fob, I very much doubt the I-Key Unit went south just because someone tried to program it. The first thing you should do is go through every fuse in the fuse box with a test light, but if they're good, there are a few "kinks" that can occur in programming on older I-Key vehicles. One is that the center antenna under the console must work or the programming process won't complete. Even though there are other antennas in the car, the system won't use them for programming, it will only use the center one. They should run an antenna diag on the car to find out. The I-Key Unit won't throw codes for a bad antenna until a diag is executed, there's a specific procedure for it in BCM Work Support. Secondly, the order in which keys are registered matters on some of the older models. To be safe, old keys must be re-registered first and then new keys added, otherwise older keys can become unusable. Since your oldest key still starts the car, I don't think that's your problem here. Lastly, BCM's and IKU's are known to occasionally get "stuck" in key-programming mode because of a key that won't read. Your China key may have an issue that caused the system to hang. Try disconnecting your battery negative for 10 seconds, then put the new Infiniti key in the doghouse after reconnecting and press the start button, see if you get 5 flashes from the security lamp. If so, put your "good" key in and repeat the procedure, it should un-hang and both keys should begin working.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I am dropping the car off today at the Nissan Dealer, I am sending them your response. Thank you again, much appreciated. :)

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”