2006 M45 downshift power lag?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
RRSS
Car: 1996 impala SS

I'm a first looker at the 2006 M45 and recently took a test drive. When going 30-40 mph and kicking the accelerator, the car downshifts immediately, but full power does not engage for about a second (motor sound rises somewhat immediately, but only rises to max when full power engages about a second later). This is very irritating, especially when one wants to jump lanes in heavy traffic. Have other owners experienced this? Can this behavior be programmed out of the car?

jshattner

Caused by VDC. This can be turned off at the dash switch.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

RRSS wrote:I'm a first looker at the 2006 M45 and recently took a test drive. When going 30-40 mph and kicking the accelerator, the car downshifts immediately, but full power does not engage for about a second (motor sound rises somewhat immediately, but only rises to max when full power engages about a second later). This is very irritating, especially when one wants to jump lanes in heavy traffic. Have other owners experienced this? Can this behavior be programmed out of the car?
Welcome to NICO!

The duration of the seems longer than usual, I would say. However, the previous post is correct ... the VDC must be disabled for better results in this regard.

Plus, the programming of the shift points and lag is also changed when you select the manual shift modes. This may also help in response times! I usually drive with the selector in Manual. In the earlier 2003 M45, this only selects the max gear to which the transmission shifts - so, it stay in 4 all the non-highway time, and I pop it up to 5 (still in "Manual" mode) when entering a highway.

On the newer M, I do not know if it automatically downshifts the setting when coming to a halt. If so, this is not as convenient as my M transmission settability.

Z

jshattner

The '06 manual shift drops to 1st when stopped. No option to start in 2nd either (you can't shift 'til you're moving) so it is a bit of a pain. Also, although the mags rave about the downshift "blip" on the '06 manual, I find it has 'way too long a delay to aid in braking the car. I'd much prefer a "normal" manual gate compared to this.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

jshattner wrote:I find it has 'way too long a delay to aid in braking the car.
Transmissions are much more expensive than brakes to maintain.

The last thing you want to do is heat the ATF, especially without an auxiliary external ATF cooler.

jshattner

You may be right, but in the last 15 years of my Lexi, BMW, and MB ownership, I never had a single tranny problem. Can't imagine the previous year's M's were breaking down on downshifts without the "blip" either...

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”