2006 M35 w/180K - what to look for?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Vaaccess
Car: base 2006 M35

I have a friend who is getting rid of their 2006 M35 (Not Sport, Not x), they have 180K on it.

What should I be concerned about at that mileage, what major repairs should I look for or be concerned about coming soon?

I read some other threads and it seems as though generally people expect to get 300K-ish miles with these cars, but if you have an opinion for/against that I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Lastly, any general opinions on what it's worth? No accidents, single owner, they keep their vehicles well maintained...

Thanks!

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Obviously, the main issue is age. All the expensive things like suspension, starter, steering rack, air-con, etc are now 14 years old and are likely approaching the end of their lifespan. Mind you, these cars are VERY well built and historically reliable, but 14 years is a very long time. You can have a reliable mechanic hoist it and give it a good look underneath to check for anything that will need replacement soon. You can also ask for receipts to document the maintenance. Failing receipts, check the condition of the fluids - brake, power steering, coolant, oil, etc. Was it maintained at the dealer or some local corner tire/muffler shop? Assuming it all checks out relatively well, I would offer maybe $1,500. If anything gives you concern, lower that offer.
If you decide to guy it, your first stop is for an oil / filter change at your nearest Infiniti dealer. They do a rather good check of fluids, brakes, battery, suspension, etc. That will give you a better idea of where you are starting from with this car.

Vaaccess

I ended up getting it for $2k.

It was dealer maintained for several years, but in the last few it was not.

I’ve replaced the oil and filter, engine and cabin air filter, and rotated the tires.

I looked into replacing the spark plugs last night, but found it to be a bit more challenging than I expected.

I’m now considering finding an indie shop to go to, or deciding to take it to the dealership. Ideally I’d have them flush the coolant and transmission fluid, plus replace the spark plugs (hopefully with the NGK Iridium ones I already bought.

The driver headlight assembly has a crack/hole in the lens, I was surprised to see how much that costs to buy. Yikes. I saw that when we bought it but wasn’t prepared for the cost.

I’ve was pondering whether this was a good buy or not and at the moment I’m wavering.

Vaaccess

What’s it like effort wise to replace the coolant and transmission fluid? The dealership quoted $179 and $339, respectively. Spark plug replacement was $450, though I think I might just set aside time to do that myself.

FInally, what’s the the effort to replace the headlight assembly? I can’t stomach the $1600 they just quoted me to do it, knowing I can get an assembly off eBay for $340 or so...

midnightclub619
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

I"ve done a coolant flush and wasn't too difficult. As long as you have all the right tools for the job. While doing the coolant I would replace the hoses since you will be in that area.

The Transmission fluid, wasn't difficult either. I believe there is a how to on this. You will need to lift the car up on jack stands and get down there. It's almost as easy as an oil change IMO.

Spark plug, I haven't done that in a while and don't recall the difficulty level of this.

Headlight assembly, I think you might have to remove the front bumper, but don't quote me on that. Maybe someone else could chime in to confirm the actual steps to replace it.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

My dealer allows me to provide my own parts. They warranty their work, but not the parts - however, I get my parts direct from Infiniti, delivered to my home. A brand new OEM headlamp (complete assembly) sells for $1300 if you buy it direct. As usual, the dealership adds a hefty mark-up if you allow them to obtain it. You can also find used parts on places like Ebay that will cost even less. I'm fairly certain you have to remove the grille and bumper but doing it yourself will save you hundreds and I'm sure you can find a DIY if the search function has been fixed. The headlamps are identical from 2006 - 2010 if I remember correctly, so any headlamp from those years will fit - but make sure you get the same type headlamp (xenon or standard).
https://www.infinitipartsonline.com/v-2 ... components

Vaaccess

I found an indie shop with good ratings and I spent some time on the phone with them. They are also ok with me bringing my own parts. So like The spark plugs I already bought, or if I get a light assembly off eBay.

Taking it in this week, hoping they don’t find anything too surprising!!!

Vaaccess

Everything is coming together. I've had every ounce of fluid replaced, and while doing their inspection they identified that the outer joints needed replacement, so that was an extra few hundred I hadn't anticipated.

I have a headlight assembly coming, used, but seller said it was tested and looks good (all tabs intact), so hopefully it'll be a viable solution to going with a new part. (At a substantial savings.)

I do have a couple more questions, however. Firstly, on the roof there is some sun damage...Anyone have any advice on the best way to repair/restore this? (see pics)

Second question...

Any recommendations on a good way to clean injectors/fuel system? Something I can easily add as a fuel additive? Techron...?

Thanks!

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Vaaccess wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:31 am
I do have a couple more questions, however. Firstly, on the roof there is some sun damage...Anyone have any advice on the best way to repair/restore this? (see pics)
Second question...

Any recommendations on a good way to clean injectors/fuel system? Something I can easily add as a fuel additive? Techron...?
Thanks!
Congrats on the new ride!!

Might want to check this thread out: paint-restoration-t624039.html

- Start with good wash
- Clay bar entire car
- Iron remover, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Iron-Remov ... way&sr=8-3
especially by wheels because of brake dust
- Decent microfiber drying cloth, would avoid chamois, silicone drying blade, etc.
- Quality polish

your second photo looks like the clear coat is failing, the above steps won't fix that, you'll need to bring it to professionals

If you want to kick it up a notch...
If you're gonna try the machine polishing (need dual action polisher) PLUS need to watch a lot of videos to learn all the do's and don'ts so you don't destroy the paint.

for second question:
I remember a thread about this, but this product by Redline was brought up: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T ... UTF8&psc=1

IIRC, more folks were pushing it vs Techron, but no one had actual proof outside their own experience.
I might need to look up Techron vs Redline vs BG 44K, etc. surely someone has done some head-to-head comparisons on YouTube...lol

Vaaccess

pedsemdoc wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:00 pm

Congrats on the new ride!!

Might want to check this thread out: paint-restoration-t624039.html

your second photo looks like the clear coat is failing, the above steps won't fix that, you'll need to bring it to professionals

for second question:
I remember a thread about this, but this product by Redline was brought up: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T ... e=UTF8&psc
Great links, thanks!

Costco has Techron on sale and since it’s generally well regarded, I picked some up! I’ll probably run two bottles through in the first two tanks since I have no idea if they were running premium or when they last used an injector cleaner.

That said, the car runs great so it should just help keep things clean.

As for the paint...once upon a time I used to put that much time/energy into clay baring and polishing. But think taking it somewhere would be smart since there’s a lot of opportunity to make it nicer than it is currently...

Thanks again!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”