2006 Infiniti Vk45de blow by after rebuild

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Tycoant
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

So I just had my motor rebuilt it is a 2006 Infiniti M45 (Vk45de) now that the car is all back together it has a extreme amount of blow by, so when you first start the car it runs great then the blow by loads up and eventually kills the motor. I don’t know if a ring on a piston was installed incorrectly or what but any help or Direction would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it's a mis-installed ring, a wet compression test will show it up. Make sure the PCV system isn't mis-routed and the PCV Valve isn't stuck.

EdBwoy

Just to be clear, when you say an extreme amount of blow-by, you're referring to smoke coming out of your tailpipe, right?
Tycoant wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:29 pm
... so when you first start the car it runs great then the blow by loads up and eventually kills the motor...
There is a common issue with smoking at startup that is usually indicative of the PCV system failure. This one usually gets better after the engine warms up and for that, we usually check the tubing and also replace the PCV valves if needed.
What you are describing though, is the less desirable kind of smoking - getting worse after it warms up.

What I would likely do, is just tap into the workmanship warranty. There is no way that is normal, even on my 200k-mile engines. So I wouldn't accept it after spending the money to rebuild it and install it.

Out of curiosity though, I would try to at least identify the nature of the blow-by. Is it whitish and moist with a sweet smell?
Or is it dark blue and stinks?
Or is is gray-white and dusty?
Check to see if you are losing either coolant or oil from your reservoir/dipstick.

EdBwoy

If I may ask, why was the engine rebuilt? What happened to it in the first place?

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

EdBwoy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:15 pm
Just to be clear, when you say an extreme amount of blow-by, you're referring to smoke coming out of your tailpipe, right?
Tycoant wrote:
... so when you first start the car it runs great then the blow by loads up and eventually kills the motor...
There is a common issue with smoking at startup that is usually indicative of the PCV system failure. This one usually gets better after the engine warms up and for that, we usually check the tubing and also replace the PCV valves if needed.
What you are describing though, is the less desirable kind of smoking - getting worse after it warms up.

What I would likely do, is just tap into the workmanship warranty. There is no way that is normal, even on my 200k-mile engines. So I wouldn't accept it after spending the money to rebuild it and install it.

Out of curiosity though, I would try to at least identify the nature of the blow-by. Is it whitish and moist with a sweet smell?
Check to see if you are losing either coolant or oil from your reservoir/dipstick.
Where do you get your replacement PCV valves from? I always chocked that up to some inherent VK design flaw, But' i've also thought, if the engine had a real design flaw it would burn wayyyyy more oil, not just at start up lol.

Tycoant

EdBwoy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:15 pm
Tycoant wrote:

No the blow by is in the engine not coming out of the tail pipe, the motor was rebuilt after sucking up water and bending rod number 8, the blow bu builds up in the engine so much that it eventually kills it, figured this out after taking one of the hoses for the PCV off and it’s like a train blowing, not a normal amount

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

I would go through and check all the hoses and where they connect for the PCV system, as well as the PCV valve itself.

Tycoant

Also forgot to mention!!, I don’t think the rings have had time to seat because it hasn’t been broken in but I can’t break it in because it dies, I going to try a new Throttlebody to see if that will keep it running longer so that maybe everything tolerance wise, will get where they need to be.

Island_Slave
Car: 2008 Infiniti M45 S

They make cheap threaded adapters to connect an air compressor to each spark plug hole. You wind it to TDC on that cylinder and listen for where the air is going. Poor mans leak down test. It will tell you if the air is going past the rings, a valve, a head gasket etc.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”