2006 infiniti m35x exhaust replacement due to leak (bad leak) on the Y exhaust.

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
jbatista3
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x

this might be an ongoing subject on this forum but let me try after searching for the work "exhaust" and nothing comes up for m35x.

upgrade or options for exhaust for 2006 m35x replacement. i love the sound of my vq35 but also, i love when the sound is a (LITTLE ) bit deeper...

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I used a G35x, if I recall correctly, Y-Pipe on my '07 M35x and it was a direct fit.

moftz
Car: 2006 M35x, 140k mi

I'm replacing the rear ypipe and both mufflers tomorrow. One of the mufflers rusted out where it connects to the y pipe so it's only hanging on by the pegs. The other muffler looks like it's about to break in the same spot. Next month inspection is due so I can't have any exhaust leaks. I found a replacement set on eBay for like $300 or so. I bought the manifolds and gasket rings on rockauto.

moftz

Cheap exhaust went well enough together. It doesn't have the little dampeners on the y-pipe like stock so it makes a slight rattle noise at start-up. I ended up stripping the completely rusted nuts where the rear y-pipe connects the the front y-pipe so I used an angle grinder to cut off the screws. The screw heads where welded to the front y-pipe so it took some time until you could just hammer them out. I got some M10-1.50 hardware and just reattached everything. I got new mufflers too so I just cut the pipe at the gasket rather than messing with more rusted screws. I don't ever want to have to rebuild the exhaust on a 13 year old car ever again unless the the car has been garaged in a dry place like Arizona it's whole life. It's like only the screws you have to remove has been rusted beyond usefulness.

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

glad you got it done, I am in NY and have same rusted bolt issues and need to do same.
2 questions, did you try to heat up front pipe nuts or use any penetrating oils to try to loosen them?
After you finally got the pipe off, what kind of shape was the front pipe flange in? Was it pitted? Did you get a good seal after installing new y pipe?

hellabuck
Car: 2006 Infiniti m35x

Maybe try going to some different exhaust shops rather than buying a premade y pipe. I had most of my exhaust test pipe to to muffler done for $600

jbatista3
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x

the front y on my car is living extra miles. i have 3 leaks out of it. and my 2 exhaust pipes are disconnected, just hanging. ( surprise the car still quiet considering pipes just hanging and having 3 leaks.)

moftz

steve_c wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:09 am
glad you got it done, I am in NY and have same rusted bolt issues and need to do same.
2 questions, did you try to heat up front pipe nuts or use any penetrating oils to try to loosen them?
After you finally got the pipe off, what kind of shape was the front pipe flange in? Was it pitted? Did you get a good seal after installing new y pipe?
I bought new gaskets for the front/rear y-pipe connection and the connections to the mufflers. I did touch up the face of the front y-pipe with some steel wool just to make sure it was clean. I did try to use some MAP gas on the front/rear y-pipe nuts and definitely soaked them in pb blaster but it did nothing. I used an angle grinder to eventually get them both off. The nuts were just so rusted that they slipped in the socket and were rounded off pretty easily.

sb2665

Check out manzousa.com. They used to sell the Y pipe individually for the 350-370Z that was a direct fit, even though the M wasn't listed. Looks like they have a cat back system now but although the Y will fit I can't say the rest will fit the M. I used their Y pipe, the Megan Racing mid pipe, and HKS axle back. All stainless. Don't think HKS makes axle back anymore. Nice low rumble with a roar on throttle.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”