2006 Infiniti M35 heater

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
jase1125
Car: Infiniti M35 Sport

So I have noticed something a little weird this winter and wanted to see if this is normal or do I have a problem.

When the car is idling and the heat all the way up, it just blows cold air. If I put it in neutral and rev it up to 2k RPM's then it blows hot air. If I start down the road it blows hot air. If I stop at a red light, then it starts blowing cold air again. What is this about?

SilverShadow

You have a problem.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Sure sounds like you need to replace the heater ... should be under warranty.

Z

jase1125
Car: Infiniti M35 Sport

Just a FYI - the problem was air in the heater coil. Once they got the air out of the system, that corrected the heating problem.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

jase1125 wrote:Just a FYI - the problem was air in the heater coil. Once they got the air out of the system, that corrected the heating problem.
Good!

Thanks much for reporting back. It is always useful to find out what went wrong and what was the fix!

Z

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

I'm having this same issue. Anyone know if this process is a DIY, or do I have to go to the dealer, or is there something else I can try first? And if I have to replace the heater, where is it?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The biggest cause of that issue is low coolant or air in the heater core. Top the system up, warm it fully, park on a steep uphill (or jack the front end commensurately), and rev it at 3K+ for 2~3 minutes. Nine times in ten that will purge any stuck air. Let it cool off and then top the overflow bottle.

TDot

I filled up the coolant a couple weeks ago. Opened up the throttle a few times kicking it up to 60 from 15mph. Driveway has a decent incline (the incline grade is about the height of an unexpected jack). You still think I need to do all those extra steps?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it wasn't fully warm and/or you didn't run it 3K+ for several minutes on the incline, then yes.

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

TDot wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:30 pm
I filled up the coolant a couple weeks ago. Opened up the throttle a few times kicking it up to 60 from 15mph. Driveway has a decent incline (the incline grade is about the height of an unexpected jack). You still think I need to do all those extra steps?
VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:12 pm
The biggest cause of that issue is low coolant or air in the heater core. Top the system up, warm it fully, park on a steep uphill (or jack the front end commensurately), and rev it at 3K+ for 2~3 minutes. Nine times in ten that will purge any stuck air. Let it cool off and then top the overflow bottle.
In addition to the above, locate the heater hose on the passenger side of the engine bay alongside the cylinder head. It has a connector with a bleeder screw cap on it. Trapped air must be purged at this point in the system by unscrewing the cap until steady volume of fluid appears.
This in combo with incline should suffice, but I use a lisle no spill funnel kit to allow air to bleed through radiator cap without sucking air back in. I have attached a pic of one similar, there are many others.

https://www.amazon.com/Thorstone-Radiat ... r=8-7&th=1

TDot

Thanks to both. What are your thoughts on what Edboy says about bleeding with the incline method on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHuow9BIXMo
I've heard others say similar about the incline way with other cars. Is the M35 built in a specific way to NEED the incline way?

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

Yes, Edbwoy is correct. Reason being a portion of the engine with coolant passages sits higher then the radiator. By inclining, you make it easier to "burp" the air pockets out. If you bleed heater core hose & use anti-spill funnel, you might get away without incline. I have!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”