2006 g35x and stock subwoofer

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
cjcj11

hello, so as I do not currently own the car yet, I have my selection down to a few different 2005-2007 G35X and I will be aiming for the 2006 model and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about the stock sub woofer. In my previous truck and car (both totaled due to people blowing stop signs) I've a 10 inch Alpine Type R along with 500 watts rms @ 2ohms going into a ported enclosure, and quite frankly, it has become to much for me. (at least with the combination of a ported enclosure and no wall between me and the trunk, but it was still loud in my previous car) and I saw that there is an 8 inch stock sub woofer, but it seems that it is only part of the Bose system. One of my largest contenders does not have the Bose system but it does already have a video receiver installed which saves me a lot of time and money, I was wondering if anyone knows if the mounting location is still there and if this is a viable option, to go out and get a higher quality 8 inch sub and install with a smaller amp. my current system takes up way too much space, and figured installing in this position with the amp mounted right next to it could save quite a bit of space. has anyone attempted this at all? I'm not looking for anything too extensive anymore, just something that can loud enough to match the rest of the system and sound good. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty off topic but may as well tack this on, what general level of maintenance should I expect from a 2006 G35X at around 128k miles. Thanks in advance. I hope to join all of you in ownership as soon as possible (as soon as that insurance money comes in).

mrnix
Car: Currently 2012 M37X, Malbec Black
Formerly 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

The non-Bose on my 2004 sedan still had the hole there for an 8. I put a JL 8IB4 there (made for such applications ), but was unimpressed with the sound. So I ended up making a fiberglass box for a 15w6 and that solved the problem quickly.

cjcj11

What was wrong with the sound? And how much power was going to it?

mrnix

cjcj11 wrote:What was wrong with the sound? And how much power was going to it?
It sounded hollow, had no punch. And maybe 120 watts.

cjcj11

mrnix wrote:
cjcj11 wrote:What was wrong with the sound? And how much power was going to it?
It sounded hollow, had no punch. And maybe 120 watts.
I mean i could try to grab one of those 8 inch kickers that are suitable for free air use that go up to 200 watts but it might not be worth the risk, i probably could just end up getting a sealed enclosure for my alpine type r 10 inch, i mean it is getting 500 watts rms and could probably use a little help from a sealed enclosure for a much tighter sound, but i really don't want to give up most of my trunk space, I mean i could also try to find a higher powered 8 inch sub and just give it a go. if it works good i could get a smaller amplifier that would suit my needs and could be mounted in a place like the stock position for the Bose amplifier. I did read somewhere that soundproofing the area could really help to improve sound too. but I guess theirs a budget problem somewhere in between all of this.

also something like these could definitely be ideal
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_120/All-Ca ... nd|Clarion
basically these things are extremely small, and they make ones that are 4 channel ones, mono sub woofer ones, and they make one that combines the two in a similar sized package, which would be ideal if i get a model with the Bose system installed where i can swap the amp out and most of the wiring is done for me. I like the power that my current 500 watt amp puts out, but man does that take up a lot of space.

I feel like if the stock sub woofer just could have been 10 inches, this problem would be solved much easier as i would be able to find a 300 watt free air sub that could probably be enough.

Also could it also be that there was no Bose grill in front of the sub and it was being muffled?

sorry if I'm all over the place and this doesn't make much sense, its late.

cjcj11

UPDATE: I'm officially purchasing a 2004 g35x WITH the bose system. What I am unsure of is what I should do. I did get to check the sound and I was surprised at how decent the bass was for the stock bose system. I thought to myself that if i get a 200 watt free air sub it should be able to be leaps and bounds better than stock (of course along with a 5 channel amplifier to replace the bose. What i am weary about is how I should go about this, If i get this video receiver im looking at, should I be running pre amp wires to the back to plug into a new amp, or should i use the bose wiring harness to get the signal to the back of the car and just use those wires to plug into the amp. (which supports line level). I'm really unsure of what to do as im pretty short on money and have to be smart about what i decide on. but currently i may just stick with the stock radio and use a cassette adapter, that should hold me off for now

mrnix

I can't speak about the Bose system, as mine was the base one, but if you have a SAT button on the radio, there's a PAC part you can get (AAI-NIS2, I think is the name) to convert the sat radio input into an RCA/Aux input. That would give you better sound than a cassette adapter.

cjcj11

That would definitely be a good option for now, as I definitely do want to upgrade to an aftermarket radio eventually (probably would save up to get a video or navigation receiver) it could give me at least something better or maybe even sufficient for a while

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”