2005 Titan 4WD front wheels not engaging

Covering the 2003-2015 first-gen and 2016+ Titan and Titan XD lineup
kevink619
Car: 2005 Nissan Titan
2010 Nissan Sentra

While out in the Anza-Borrego Desert, my 4wd 2005 Titan got stuck in the sand. My friend stepped out and noticed that the front wheels weren't spinning. I had the truck in 4WD. I then tried 4WD LO (and yes, I followed the correct procedure - the green 4LO light came on) and still no turning of the front wheels. The orange 4WD malfunction light on the dash didn't come on (and still won't come on). The visual 4WD indicator (the one with the diagram of the 4 wheels) shows that 4WD is engaged when I engage it, yet 4WD is clearly NOT engaged.

Because no tow trucks would respond offroad, I ended up calling the local bar (Lazy Lizard in Ocotillo, CA) and a couple patrons pulled up in their Bronco and pulled me out for $130.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with my 4WD all of a sudden? The only recent change to my truck was that I had Discount Tire replace my 18" rims with some aftermarket 20" rims and new tires. Could something have been damaged when the new rims were installed?

I don't hear any funny noises when I switch to and from 4WD - I see the appropriate indicator lights and can hear the relays click. I don't get any power to the front wheels though.

I inspected the axles the best I could. I can't SEE any disconnection, but the front driver's side axle has about 0.5" of play to it. Is that normal? Do I need to remove the rubber boots to verify that the axle is disconnected?

Is it possible that I just need to change the differential fluid?

Again, no funny noises, no leaking fluids, and the lights on the dash indicate that 4WD is operational. It's not, though.

Have over 66,000 miles on my truck.

When I call the local Nissan dealerships, the all pretend to be surprised when I tell them about this problem.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

engagement of 4wd is electric in those....it's the main reason I hate the fact that all manufacturers have ditched real transfer case levers for heater knobs on the dash. It's normal for only one wheel to spin. Were neither of the front wheels engaging? A quick test is to get a floor jack under the rear diff so both wheels are off the ground, shift into 4wd, and see if you can roll the truck forward a bit. If not, something isn't making the connection - chances are it's electrical.

longtooth
Car: 89 d21 HB

I want to say its the electrical servo in the front diff that engauges that is failing. Put on jack stands all the way around, put it in fwd and see if your front drive shaft is turning. If it is you know its in the front end.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

If you are comfortable with troubleshoooting, you can go through the steps in the FSM:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/titan/2005/

nos487
Car: 86.5 nissan V6 5speed truck

Make sure front axle's are still snapped in to diff. I have seen several of these and axles have popped out and eat the splines of axle. There are updated parts with thicker clips, axles and differnt spider gears.

Return to “Nissan Titan Forum”