2005 Pathfinder leaking coolant under glove box

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
7huy
Car: 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Off Road

Hello, I'm a noob. I searched and went over several forum threads and I am learning that the coolant leaking from under my glove box is due to a heater core leak or damage. I couldn't find anywhere on what this part in the images, I attached is? This is where the coolant is leaking, it's on the right side through that black foam. I gotten an estimate from Meineke and they wanted to replace the heater core, evaporator, and hoses for $1377. Whew! That's kinda pricey. I was told it would be a 6 hours labor because the dash had to come out. I tried to ask the manager to identify that part for me but he wouldn't and said he'd have to run some tests or whatever but the diagnostics was free. I'm wondering if I can just change that part that's in the images? Or do I need to go ahead and pay the $1377 to get the heater core and evaporator replaced? My Pathfinder is at 213k. It's the Off Road model and has been very reliable except for the fuel sending unit, I had to replace at 107k. Thanks in advance for the guidance.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200802-100603_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200802-100624_Gallery.jpg

7huy

Oh, I forgot to add the image of the leak. It is green and oily, so it's coolant for sure.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200802-102109_Gallery.jpg
Coolant leak

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Replacing either one of the heater cores (yes, there are two of them) in your '05 Pathfinder is a labor intensive job. Meineke also suggesting the replacement of the A/C evaporator is odd unless one of those (once again, there are two) are leaking as well. Your pictures clearly show you have a heater core leak but which one is not clear. You did not mention anything about the A/C system being a problem. Both front and rear heater and cooling assemblies are buried behind the dashboard. The following link is an exploded view of the front HVAC assembly. https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... pnc=27197M The following link here is the rear HVAC assembly. https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... _unit.html

I read through some of the information in the Nissan service manual regarding the removal of either one of the heater cores. https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 05/atc.pdf Unfortunately, it looks like the A/C evaporator hoses need to be disconnected, as well as the heater core hoses of course, in order to remove the HVAC assemblies so that the heat core can then be removed.

The refrigerant in the A/C system needs to be evacuated first and then recharged after the job is done but there is no reason to replace either evaporator unless either one of those are leaking as well. Replacing hoses is optional and a discretionary decision to be made once the condition of the current hoses are evaluated. I have had encounters with Meineke twice in many years past but did not allow them to do any work on my cars. I do not trust them to give straight answers up front and I have found out from others that once they have your car in for evaluation, the list of items needed for replacement or repair seems to inexplicably grow.

7huy

Thanks mdmellot. I don't have any overheating and any problems with my A/C. Meineke suggested the evaporator replacement since they would be behind the dash. Wow, thanks again for the info regarding two heater cores. I didn't know that and I didn't see that info mentioned in any of the research I have read. The part that's in the image is right under the glove box and I can get to it without removing the dash or glove box on the passenger side. I don't know if that helps or not? I thought about installing the bypass but I need the heater for the Kansas cold frigid winter's when temps are below freezing. The manager at Meineke also mentioned to me about "It's time to think about getting rid of that car". Haha, maybe because I'm an Asian woman, he underestimated me? I have worked on my Pathfinder but tearing out the dash, is intimidating to me. I will look at the links that you have shared in your post.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Maybe consider trying some Bar's Leaks (or other brand) Radiator / Heater Core Stop Leak.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bar-s-Leaks- ... z/22087044

https://www.walmart.com/ip/KSEAL-PERMAN ... R/30391261

7huy

Hello 04pathse. Sigh, I tried this Blue Devil stuff that was $32 from AutoZone. It did not stop the leak and my Pathfinder started to overheat. I used Thoroflush to clean and flush that crap out 😣. My Pathfinder doesn't overheat anymore but the leak appears to be leaking alot more coolant now. I'm now afraid to try any other additives. Thank you for your suggestions.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

7huy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:41 pm
The part that's in the image is right under the glove box and I can get to it without removing the dash or glove box on the passenger side. I don't know if that helps or not?
I think I was mistaken about both heating and cooling assemblies being behind the dashboard. The service manual references the heating and cooling system for the rear is behind a rear right-hand side trim panel. The leak under your glove box is from the front heating and cooling system. As you mentioned, you are able to access this system but as far as I know that access would be limited to replacing the in-cabin air filter only. I think you will have to get the entire system removed from behind the dashboard to replace the heater core and clean up the coolant that is now inside parts of the ducting. Unless you remove it and clean it up, you will not get rid of the coolant smell that will vent inside your Pathfinder when your fan is on. As for the stop-leak product you tried, I'm not a fan. They are a temporary fix at best if they work at all.

Thommykent
Car: 2005 R51 LE

Here`s a good video of why it costs so much. Of course when heater cores were all brass they would last an easy 25 years. Since manufacturers don`t care what happens to a vehicle after 7 years these days and most cars older that are 7 years old are now in the secondary market. The likely hood that they will be repaired at a dealership so the manufacturer can make money on the vehicle is minute. So cheap plastic tank heater cores is what we get. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCjn3VYQuBA

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”