2005 Nissan Murano will not shift up out of low gear

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
countrytechboy
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano SL

I was driving my 2005 Nissan Murano on the interstate when I started noticing higher RPMs and started slowing way down. Limped off the next exit with a max speed of about 25 - 30 mph at 4500+ rpms. Turned off the car and waited for a minute. Started it back up and again the car is in low gear. It will move but its like the Transmission never shifts out of low gear. I know its a CVT transmission (variable speed and no real gears) but it not shifting up. Leading up to this about a month before this the AWD and ABS lights came on and I was thinking I have a front wheel hub bearing going out. Since i have check the front tires and I have no play top to bottom tire movement which I think rules out wheel hub bearing. I was getting a rumbling noise up front which also made me think hub bearing... So I replaced the motor last year and replaced the Transfer case about 4 months ago. So ive stuck more money in it than its worth... So i would really like to get it working again and get a few more miles out of it. I really don't think its the transmission as much as something electrical so maybe a sensor. Im wondering if a crankshaft for camshaft sensor could do this or something along those lines. I have the Crankshaft sensor out but it doesn't really look bad... but I don't know the symptoms if it really was bad. Im thinking it just wouldn't start...

Im getting the following codes when i test: I think they were for the transmission and another set for the motor...
One set of test show: P0725 - Engine Speed, P1722 - Vehicle Speed Signal, P1726 - Elec TH Control, P0746 - PC Solenoid A, P1701 - TCM, P1778 - Step Motor, P0868 - Fluid PRESS LOW
Second set show: P1720 - V/SP SEN(A/T OUT), P1715 - in pully speed, P1574 - ASCD VHL ..., P0037 -HO2S2 HTR(Bl), P0456 - Evap very sml leak, P0442 - Evap small leak

Reset the codes and it still does the same thing and they all come back...

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

countrytechboy
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano SL

Can someone tell me is the stepper motor in the 2005 Nissan Murano is replaceable. the P1778 code leads to Stepper motor mechanically failed... I've also read that if the Stepper motor is not replaceable replacing the CamShaft and crankshaft sensors may have something to do with it as it sends speed information to the transmission.

aaronrose
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano SE AWD

The stepper motor can be replaced. You have to get it on Amazon, I have a 2005 se and the motor was 27$, but you will also need a gasket for the transmission and 5 qts of ns2 cvt tranny fluid, and I would also get a filter for the tranny. You have to drain the transmission fluid then drop the pan off the transmission. Should be 19 bolts to remove. Once you get it off you will be able to see the stepper motor, and the filter. Stepper motor has only 2 screws to remove and unplug electrical and slip it out and off the hook that's in the square black end. You tube has a video of exactly how to do this. Pay attention to how your supposed to replace the tranny fluid, they have videos for that to.

Return to “Murano Forum”