2005 navigation DVD player died? Maybe?

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
AceFrehley03
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4
2005 Infiniti QX56
2017 Infiniti QX80

Driving home from Cabelas last night when my passenger noticed that the DVD player under the passenger seat was making some off noises. Nothing happened and it went away after maybe 1/2 mile.

Today, we lost the information screen and lights on the dash board. The dash lights came back on shortly after but the information screen remained dead. HVAC controls, while invisible on the display, still seem to function properly. Checking out the DVD player I've noticed that it makes zero noise, and it won't eject the DVD that's in it.

I know many people have attributed this problem to the BCM - has the DVD player ever been found to be the culprit?

AceFrehley03
2005 Infiniti QX56
2017 Infiniti QX80

Seem's I have answered my own question. The DVD player let out the black smoke.

AceFrehley03
2005 Infiniti QX56
2017 Infiniti QX80

Upon further investigation, something inside the unit did indeed go TU. I can't tell what, however, because for some reason the unit is not receiving 12V. Checking my fuse diagram(s), I can't tell which fuse is supposed to be feeding this. Anybody know?

marctronixx

the unti is probably beyond repair as you are seeing. there is a service manual for your car on this site. that will help you get to the proper fuse location.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO! Sorry to hear that your car is having trouble. I'm not all too well versed in your vehicle, but can offer an option for you.

Here at NICO, we have Factory Service Manuals available free to members. Take a look at the link in my signature and you'll find the FSM for your truck. As marctronixx mentioned, it sounds like the unit is toast.

AceFrehley03
2005 Infiniti QX56
2017 Infiniti QX80

So a few updates worth posting.

I removed and dismantled the navigation control module trying to find any individual component that had failed. Despite the fact that I actually saw a trace of smoke coming from the tray I found absolutely zero evidence of something cooking. So, I put it back together and put it back in the truck.

Put it back in the truck and determined that the (20A) fuse was blown, fuse #34 underneath the hood. Replaced the fuse and was met with one of the best blue arc's I've seen come from 12V (and I'm an electrician by trade so I've seen one or two.) Figuring it was the navigation module, I disconnected it and re-replaced the fuse. It blew again, immediately.

Anybody have any similar experiences or places to start? The fact that that little fuse seems to run so much makes this problem seem pretty daunting.

marctronixx

ground/short somewhere.

worth a try to see if there are any DTCs at the obd port. if you have an android phone you can get a cheap bluetooth dongle (or a wired one) to hook up to your car to check, or go to your local autozone.

after that, its difficult to diagnose over the internet. your issue is not common from what I see posted on these forums (and others i frequent) plus if this is a second hand car who knows whats been modified.

perhaps remove the dvd player from the equation and try to reinsert the fuse again. could be something in the dvd player.

AceFrehley03
2005 Infiniti QX56
2017 Infiniti QX80

It is a second hand car, purchased from older family and is very stock. Also in great condition... except for this.

Disconnecting the DVD player and testing the circuit again still resulted in a ground fault. Now suspect I am chasing multiple problems. I am starting to think the Bose amplifier is a culprit as well (wife was jamming when it went out) but am having a heck of a time getting the connector to come free on the amp. Am really trying to avoid having to remove the BCM just to test this theory - any advice on how to remove this connector when you have gigantic bear paws for hands? Was able to successfully remove to two little locking clips, but the connector itself simply won't come free and I don't want to break anything that doesn't deserve to be broken.

marctronixx

get the service manual if you have not already done so. go to the AV section and it will show at the top of the chapter what connectors are used and how to remove them. perhaps this one is just stuck in from being there all these years.

unless you have a lot of DTCs present at the obd port, i dont think its the bcm. just go with your mind and remove the bose from the equation...

AceFrehley03
2005 Infiniti QX56
2017 Infiniti QX80

So it did indeed turn out to be the amplifier. After finagling off the white (power) connector I was able to put in a new fuse, and it held. This makes me happy. Removing the unit looks kind of like a PITA, but at least I know what it is now. Hoping that anybody who has the same issue as I did might stumble across this and save them some time and effort.

(The navigation thought I was sitting right where the unit went out, which I found entertaining.)

AceFrehley03
2005 Infiniti QX56
2017 Infiniti QX80

I've jinxed it. Something blew the fuse again while the wife was driving, but happened under different circumstances this time. She states that the screen in the center console got darker and darker until it went out entirely - the fuse was blown but the lack of carbon inside the fuse makes it look like a slower burn and not the dead short that happened initially. I disconnected the navigation control module again (so now the navi AND the amplifier are disconnected) replaced the fuse and it held.

Seems I'm probably chasing a wiring issue, it must be chaffed somewhere along the chassis. Sure that'll be fun to find.

AceFrehley03
2005 Infiniti QX56
2017 Infiniti QX80

Alright, so got this one in the bag. It turned out to be the AV control module located right behind the screen in the center console. The part number that came off of the module on my truck was 28330-7Y001. Internally, there appeared to be no individually-failed components, it all appeared normal. I had a bit of a hard time finding one locally, but after some brief research online I found that this module was actually superseded by 28330-ZC00A. This one I was able to find on eBay with a like-new screen for $100 and I scooped it up. To my glee, it worked and is still working properly.

A few idiosyncrasies to discuss about the change from one module to another:

1 - The ZC00A is approximately 1/8" inch longer, will not affect fitment but is worth noting.
2 - Upon restarting the car, I found that I had no navigation and the clock was stuck displaying 00:00. I was able to go through the menu to try to change the clock, but it remained stuck on 00:00. Weird. Also, pressing the map button netted an odd beep that I hadn't heard before (think dying goose) and went to a black screen. I disconnected the navigation system's DVD player under the passenger seat and reconnected it and everything came up like it should've... including the clock.
3 - I have an option under vehicle settings now to change how long the headlights remain on after shutting the vehicle down. I did not have that before, so that's neat.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”